WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Default Cache food

Quote Originally Posted by SweetAss03 View Post
    Depends on where you start. Most start at either Sunrise, longmire or Paradise. You can store food at any of these places plus Whiteriver, Mowich, and a couple others. The first three are the easiest and are basically a sure thing. The rest are a little harder and you are counting on a Ranger being there when you arrive. They need to be in a rodent proof container. A bucket works well and the rangers will gladly take your bucket to recycle I.e use on there projects.
    The best places to cache food are Longmier, Mowich Lake and Sunrise. You will use 2 out of the three depending on where you start.

My preferred start point is Mowich Lake, but I have started at other locations. Places where you can safely leave a vehicle near the Wonderland Trail are Longmier, Mowich Lake, Sunrise, White River, Fryingpan Creek, Box Canyon, Reflection Lakes, Nardia Falls, & Cougar Rock.
    Shutterbug

Only tip on caches is make sure Mowich is open for the season before shipping it there - if we get a late snow year it opens late. Where as Sunrise, Longmire and even White River are staffed.

On Yak Traks? Junk them. If you feel the need for traction use Microspikes instead. But you really won't need them. They cut a path/wand it in the few areas with year round snow. By late August it isn't a huge issue. The worst area is Panhandle Gap - and all you need to do is wait till afternoon, let it warm up before you go.

Indian Bar is one of the prettiest places in the entire park. You will NOT want to leave. Do anything you can do to get that as a campsite.

As for your food, in camp are bear poles, easy to use. The bears are not big in Rainier. But if you are leaving camp and leaving food behind for the day, be forewarned to use an Ursack or similar when hanging - mice and ravens are an issue in some camps. All backcountry camps in Rainier have a pole or two, a privy and water source within .10 of a mile. It is about the easiest camping one can do really.
    Trail Cooking/FBC, Recipes, Gear and Beyond:
    Trail Cooking

Also...make sure you have liner gloves and a thin hat to wear - it is worth the weight on cold mornings before you warm up It can get very chilly at 6K even in summer.

Do carry cash with you for Sunrise. Supposedly the cash only rule has changed but it really is easier. Take time out at Sunrise. Sit and people watch. Eat a burger. Charge your phone in the bathrooms, it has power outlets. White River CG that you pass through as well has flush toilets and are nice on cold days for changing clothes.

On Mowich Lake, run, run, run as fast as you can through it. The pit toilets there smell so bad you will want to hurl. It is weirdos galore car camping. I live closest to this entrance to the park and HATE that road. State highway my butt, it is a freaking unpaved logging road.

But if you have the time, take a side trip from Mowich out to Eunice Lake. It is very pretty.
    Trail Cooking

Just looking at the suggested hiking plans in the book, here is the suggested 10 day hike:

1 Mowich Lake to Carbon River Camp (via Isput Pass)
    2 Carbon River Camp to Mystic Lake
    3 Mystic Lake to Sunrise
    4 Sunrise to Summerland
    5 Summerland to Nickel Creek
    6 Nickel Creek to Longmire
    7 Longmire to Devils Dream
    8 Devils Dream to Klapatche
    9 Klapatche to Golden Lakes
    10 Golden Lakes to Mowich Lakes

Of course I would start at Mowich and store caches at Sunrise and at Longmire. This would require me to start out with 3 days of food supply, then 3 more days, and then 4 days.

My only concern would be the mileages. Some days would be around 15 miles while another would be less than 5. If I am reading the elevation profile map right. On day 2, Carbon River to Mystic camp is about 3.5 miles. If so this may be ok, but then my day 6 would be 15 miles. The remainder of the days are between 6 to 12 miles.

So, I will definitely have to do some researching into which campgrounds are what I want. Also, at the end of day 7, I am not to sure about staying at a campground called Devils Dream, just a little weird. It looks like less than a mile down is Indian Henry's, but I am not sure if camping is permitted there... From all I can tell is that there is a ranger station / patrol cabin here. But anyway, I am about to start reading through the second half of the book, and it is simply a trail description, like a guide book.

So, Sarbar, thanks for the suggestions, and thanks for the recommendation for the campsite. So, what is everyone elses favorite campsite?

I'm not sure of the current status, but I believe a large part from Nickle Creek is road walk, with a long, gentle downhill on good trail into Longmire. Not too bad. If you could fit in an extra day or two there is plenty to see along the way.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Garlic
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by STICK View Post
    ...So, what is everyone elses favorite campsite?
    Indian Bar without a doubt, though I only stayed at three sites.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Default Critique

Just looking at the suggested hiking plans in the book, here is the suggested 10 day hike:

1 Mowich Lake to Carbon River Camp (via Isput Pass)
    2 Carbon River Camp to Mystic Lake
    3 Mystic Lake to Sunrise
    4 Sunrise to Summerland
    5 Summerland to Nickel Creek
    6 Nickel Creek to Longmire
    7 Longmire to Devils Dream
    8 Devils Dream to Klapatche
    9 Klapatche to Golden Lakes
    10 Golden Lakes to Mowich Lakes

Of course I would start at Mowich and store caches at Sunrise and at Longmire. This would require me to start out with 3 days of food supply, then 3 more days, and then 4 days.

My only concern would be the mileages. Some days would be around 15 miles while another would be less than 5. If I am reading the elevation profile map right. On day 2, Carbon River to Mystic camp is about 3.5 miles. If so this may be ok, but then my day 6 would be 15 miles. The remainder of the days are between 6 to 12 miles.

So, I will definitely have to do some researching into which campgrounds are what I want. Also, at the end of day 7, I am not to sure about staying at a campground called Devils Dream, just a little weird. It looks like less than a mile down is Indian Henry's, but I am not sure if camping is permitted there... From all I can tell is that there is a ranger station / patrol cabin here. But anyway, I am about to start reading through the second half of the book, and it is simply a trail description, like a guide book.

So, Sarbar, thanks for the suggestions, and thanks for the recommendation for the campsite. So, what is everyone elses favorite campsite?
    Just a few comments.

1. I realize that I previsously mentioned that I usually start at Mowich Lake. The reason I do is that it is the closest to my home. If I were coming from out of town, I would start at either Sunrise or Longmire.

2. I would substitue Dick Creek for Carbon River Camp. The Wonderland Trail is temporarly rerouted to bypass the Carbon River Camp. It is still possible to reach the Carbon River Camp from the detour, but it requires a back track. The Dick Creek Camp has only two tent sites, but one of them has great views. That tent site sits right on the edge of a high cliff. It isn't where you would camp if you have a fear of heights.

3. I would skip Mystic Lake just because it is too close to Dick Creek. Mystic Lake is a beautiful location, but you can enjoy it by taking a break there rather than spending the night.

4. You did not include Indian Bar. Personally, I always try to get both Summerland and Indian Bar. It makes for a rather short day, but that section and those two camps are as good as it gets for scenery. I usually reach Indian Bar by mid-morning and enjoy having a day to just enjoy being in such a beautiful place. A ranger once told me that there is wide agreement among Park Service ranger that Indian Bar is the most beautiful camp site in the entire Park Service.

5. Longmire isn't a camp site. It is a place one stops for a hamburger, but not a place to camp. Of course if one is so inclined he could take a room for the night and get a hot shower. I prefer to stay in the backcountry camps.

6. I will never again stay at Devil's Dream unless there is just no other choice. It is the buggiest camp site on the Wonderland Trail. Pyrmid Creek would be a much better option. You are correct that camping is not allowed at Indian Henry's Hunting Ground. There is a Ranger Cabin at Indian Henry's but I have never seen a ranger there.

7. Don't camp at Mowich Lake. It is a drive-in camp and all of the tent sites are out in the open. There is no privacy at all. Stay at Mowich River Camp instead. Another alternative would be Eagle's Roost on the Spray Park alternative route.

This would be my recommendation for a 10 day hike:

1. Sunrise to Summerland
    2. Summerland to Indian Bar
    3. Indian Bar to Nickle Creek
    4. Nickle Creek to Paradise Creek
    5. Paradise Creek to Pyramid Creek
    6. Pyramid Creek to Klapatche
    7. Klapatche to Golden Lakes
    8. Golden Lakes to Mowich River Camp (or Eagle's Roost)
    9. Mowich River Camp (or Eagle's Roost) to Dick Creek
    10. Dick Creek to Sunrise (Out)

Caches at Longmier and at Mowich Lake

Shutterbug

Default Road Walk

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    I'm not sure of the current status, but I believe a large part from Nickle Creek is road walk, with a long, gentle downhill on good trail into Longmire. Not too bad. If you could fit in an extra day or two there is plenty to see along the way.
    The part of the Wonderland Trail that was closed after Nickel Creek for so long has reopened. The road walk detour is no longer required.
    Last edited by Shutterbug; 12-02-2010 at 23:58.
    Shutterbug

Default Campsites

So, what is everyone elses favorite campsite?
    Let me give you a summary of the sites. I am going from memory, so I might skip a couple:

The top three are in a class of their own:

My favorite -- Indian Bar. The views are outstanding.

2nd -- Kaplatche Park. It is a very close second - outstanding views.

3rd -- Summerland -- Just as good as the first two, but tends to be more crowded.

4th -- Dick Creek -- It is fun to camp on the edge of a high cliff.

5th -- Golden Lakes -- Another site with beautiful views. Bugs are sometimes a problem.

6th -- Mystic Lake -- Another site with beautiful views.

OK Camps -- Nickle Creek, Maple Creek, Paridise Creek, Pyrimid Creek, South Puyallup River Camp, North Puyallup River Camp, Mowich River Camp, Eagles Roost Camp, Catarac Creek Camp, Granite Creek Camp.

Less than desirable camps -- Devil's Dream (bugs), Mowick Lake (drive-in camp), Carbon River Camp (tent sites are too small), Sunrise (drive-in camp), White River Camp (drive-in camp)
    Shutterbug

I liked Nickel Creek for some reason - though it has changed a bit in the past couple years. Maple Creek was very pretty as well. On day 1 we hiked from Longmire to Nickel Creek, a verrrryyyy long day in hot temps.

Devil's Dream is an utter disappointment in many ways - you are not far from Longmire going either way and you are just below treeline in a stifling hot forest full of bugs. Indian Henry doesn't allow camping persay (though I have cross countried here when not on a WT permit way out by Pyramid Peak - which is behind Indian Henry).

I don't suggest starting at Mowich Lake - you will HATE the road in. Not only that while it appears to be closer in than say Sunrise it takes a lot longer to get back there due to the narrow roads - and more so when you get done there isn't anywhere near to go sit down and have a celebration at - no beer or burgers unless you drive. Longmire and Sunrise have this.

IMO I love Sunrise - you start and end high (6400 feet). And you encounter Longmire halfway through.

Though the camp at Sunrise isn't drive-in - you have to hike in. But it is only 1.3 miles out so gets a lot of casual campers hiking in (it is an easy hike) and one cannot swim in Shadow Lake below (unless cough cough one waits for around 6 pm and the rangers go home......)
    Trail Cooking

PS: Summerland and Indian Bar are both best choices if you can wing it mid-week. Less dayhikers that way.
    Trail Cooking

Wow, thanks so much Shutterbug and Sarbar. This has been great. I am really getting excited about this, going to be hard to wait that long...

So, Shutterbug, I like that schedule:

1. Sunrise to Summerland
    2. Summerland to Indian Bar
    3. Indian Bar to Nickle Creek
    4. Nickle Creek to Paradise Creek
    5. Paradise Creek to Pyramid Creek
    6. Pyramid Creek to Klapatche
    7. Klapatche to Golden Lakes
    8. Golden Lakes to Mowich River Camp (or Eagle's Roost)
    9. Mowich River Camp (or Eagle's Roost) to Dick Creek
    10. Dick Creek to Sunrise (Out)

Caches at Longmier and at Mowich Lake

Thanks for the tip on the cliff top campsite at Dicks Creek. That really sounds awesome.

So, if I did this schedule I am looking at starting on a Tuesday. This would put me at Summerland on Tuesday and Indian Bar on Wednesday. Then I would be at Dicks Creek the next Wednesday so maybe on these days I would be more sure to get them.

Default Dick Creek Camp

Thanks for the tip on the cliff top campsite at Dicks Creek. That really sounds awesome.
    Here is the view looking down from the cliff top tent site at Dick Creek.
    Shutterbug

Also, on rain gear. I came across the ZPacks Cuben Fiber CloudKilt on the Jolly Green Giant's blog and it looks very promising. Before this I was considering the Marmot Precip full zip pants, but this kilt is much lighter, breaths better, looks easier to use as well as looks quite versatile and even cost less! The long is 30" so it would cover most of my legs. I am now considering this along with the GoLite Tumalo jacket. Also, on shelters. Man I can't wait till I have the $$$ to drop on a new shelter cause I keep going back and forth... At the moment I am headstrong on the GoLite Shangri-La 1 with the floor. However, I am also looking at the ZPack cf floor. It is a bit pricier, but it looks like it will do a great job and reduce the weight by half. It is nice because it is sewn in a bathtub style.

Quote Originally Posted by Shutterbug View Post
    Here is the view looking down from the cliff top tent site at Dick Creek.
    Thanks for the pic. looks very nice. I can't wait to get to see these things with my own eyes...

Default Have you considered a bivy?

Also, on rain gear. I came across the ZPacks Cuben Fiber CloudKilt on the Jolly Green Giant's blog and it looks very promising. Before this I was considering the Marmot Precip full zip pants, but this kilt is much lighter, breaths better, looks easier to use as well as looks quite versatile and even cost less! The long is 30" so it would cover most of my legs. I am now considering this along with the GoLite Tumalo jacket. Also, on shelters. Man I can't wait till I have the $$$ to drop on a new shelter cause I keep going back and forth... At the moment I am headstrong on the GoLite Shangri-La 1 with the floor. However, I am also looking at the ZPack cf floor. It is a bit pricier, but it looks like it will do a great job and reduce the weight by half. It is nice because it is sewn in a bathtub style.
    This year, I used an REI minimalist bivy as my shelter. It worked great. I was fortunate that it didn't rain much at night, but the one night I did have rain the bivy worked just fine. I used my poncho over my head.
    Shutterbug

So, shutterbug, I like your itinerary, but how could I squeeze in Spray Park rather than Isput pass?
    ...take nothing but memories and pictures, leave nothing but footprints, and kill only time... (Bette Filley in Discovering the Wonders of the Wonderland Trail)

Default Spray Park

So, shutterbug, I like your itinerary, but how could I squeeze in Spray Park rather than Isput pass?
    If you want to take the Spray Park alternate, use Eagles Roost for your 8th camp instead of the Mowich River Camp. Eagles Roost is on the Spary Park trail.

If you do take the Spray Park alternative route, also take the time to visit Spray Falls. The falls are about 1/4 mile off the main trail. I have seen Wonderland Trail hikers bypass the falls because they are trying to make more mileage. That is a big mistake. Spray falls are worth the 1/2 mile extra.

Shutterbug

It sounds like it would be a bad idea to pass on Spray Park... and it's not like I will be able to go here anytime I would like, so...
    ...take nothing but memories and pictures, leave nothing but footprints, and kill only time... (Bette Filley in Discovering the Wonders of the Wonderland Trail)

Default It is difficult choice.

It sounds like it would be a bad idea to pass on Spray Park... and it's not like I will be able to go here anytime I would like, so...
    When I have hiked the entire trail, I have always taken Ipsuit Pass just because it is the "official" Wonderland Trail. My decision is influenced by the fact that I hike to Spray Park several times each year as a day hike. If I could hike only one or the other, I would take the Spray Park alternate route.
    Shutterbug

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++