Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 59
  1. #1
    AT 2010, FHT 2010-11, BMT '11, Bartram'11, LT'12, Pinhoti '13, Sheltowee, '13' 10-K's Avatar
    Join Date
    10-30-2007
    Location
    Erwin, TN
    Age
    53
    Posts
    7,368

    Default No Business Knob shelter = creepy

    This afternoon I hiked up to No Business Knob shelter, had lunch and packed out the trash.

    Man, that's one gloomy shelter.... There was snow on the ground and it was foggy and windy. Even on a good day it's a dark, forlorn shelter but today was an especially creepy day at NBK.... I actually hurried up and got out of there... I felt like I was being watched or something...

  2. #2

    Default

    Last time I was a NBK a "controlled burn" wasn't so controlled and we spent the night watching the fire line slowly climb up the hill towards the shelter. Thankfully, it never quite got there, but was a bit scarry.
    The AT - It has it's ups and downs...

  3. #3
    Registered User DLANOIE's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-27-2005
    Location
    NEW SHARON, MAINE
    Age
    33
    Posts
    548
    Images
    20

    Default

    I get the same feeling from chairback gap lean to in Maines 100 mile "wilderness". Just a feeling I got when I was there last. If walls could talk.
    skinny d

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    10-21-2010
    Location
    East Tennessee
    Age
    20
    Posts
    50

    Default

    I stayed there on my first backpacking trip. Creepy is definitly right.

  5. #5

    Default

    I also felt like there were eyes on me - but maybe that's because I shared the shelter and area around it with about a dozen hikers since I was there in thruhiking season (May '05). I was on a long section hike.

    I remember 2 things about NBK:

    1. All the thrus were bitching about having to go back down the hill for the water source.

    2. I met Fishin Fred there for the first time. I think he and I were the only non-thru hikers.

    Re. "creepy" feelings at shelters, I felt that way at Brink Road in NJ.

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    08-08-2008
    Location
    Damascus! (Detroit originally)
    Posts
    738
    Images
    15

    Default

    that's one of those shelters that sticks out in the memory banks...and i appreciate that No Business Shelter means there's No doin' Business at that shelter...if you know what i mean...
    Check out my website: www.serialhiking.com

  7. #7
    Rain Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-07-2003
    Location
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Age
    63
    Posts
    5,024
    Images
    620

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    ... I felt like I was being watched or something...
    Last I heard, NBK Shelter had its own nuisance bear, so maybe you were being watched?!

    My wife and I stopped there for lunch on a FRIGID cold day, I think the day before Easter. We ate as fast as we could and hit the trail to warm up. Our water lines froze and we had to stuff our water bladders in our jackets. Ahhhhh... but the next day was a big Miss Janet Easter feast in Erwin with a big crowd of locals and thru's at the church there.

    No Business Knob Shelter in the snow on April 7, 2007

    RainMan

    .
    Last edited by Rain Man; 12-23-2010 at 13:10.
    ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit..... Numbers 35

  8. #8

    Default

    We camped near it last summer. Man, that place reeked of urine.

    We were the only ones there and it definitely had the "creepy" vibe. But the woods are pretty thick there so I think it adds to the effect.

  9. #9
    AT 2010, FHT 2010-11, BMT '11, Bartram'11, LT'12, Pinhoti '13, Sheltowee, '13' 10-K's Avatar
    Join Date
    10-30-2007
    Location
    Erwin, TN
    Age
    53
    Posts
    7,368

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    Last I heard, NBK Shelter had its own nuisance bear, so maybe you were being watched?!

    My wife and I stopped there for lunch on a FRIGID cold day, I think the day before Easter. We ate as fast as we could and hit the trail to warm up. Our water lines froze and we had to stuff our water bladders in our jackets. Ahhhhh... but the next day was a big Miss Janet Easter feast in Erwin with a big crowd of locals and thru's at the church there.

    No Business Knob Shelter in the snow on April 7, 2007

    RainMan

    .

    I just found out not too long ago that I could almost throw a rock and hit Miss Janet's house from where I live now. I hate I missed that.....

  10. #10
    just a little loopy jerseydave's Avatar
    Join Date
    10-26-2010
    Location
    NJ
    Age
    51
    Posts
    415
    Images
    35

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cookerhiker View Post
    Re. "creepy" feelings at shelters, I felt that way at Brink Road in NJ.
    That's just what NJ does to ya....... didn't have anything to do with the specific shelter...... I have to go through everyday life with that feeling!
    YOURSELF Find, Know, Be

    click HERE to become rich!

  11. #11

    Default

    What's that poor yellow creature trying to escape out the side?

  12. #12
    Registered User fehchet's Avatar
    Join Date
    04-24-2004
    Location
    Siesta Key, Florida
    Age
    69
    Posts
    525
    Images
    6

    Default

    When I lived in Erwin, I would walk from Gay Street over to the Nolichucky River and then up the switch backs to No Business Knob Shelter. One afternoon I arrived to a very misty and foggy woods surrounding the shelter. I sat down and began eating the lunch I carried in. When all of a sudden 20 turkeys quietly walked out of the fog and began pecking away at the ground near the fire pit and close to me. I didn't make a sound until they had walked back into the foggy woods.
    It may seem creepy there because of the spirits that still inhabit these historic Tennessee woods but I'm sure we are all welcome. We are just the future travelers passing through.
    Going back down to the Nolichucky is always the fun part because the walk up was the work of the hike -- such views too. Then a Mountain Dew at Uncle Johnny's and 2 miles on the flats back into Erwin. But 9 times out of 10 someone will stop and give me a ride home.

  13. #13
    AT 2010, FHT 2010-11, BMT '11, Bartram'11, LT'12, Pinhoti '13, Sheltowee, '13' 10-K's Avatar
    Join Date
    10-30-2007
    Location
    Erwin, TN
    Age
    53
    Posts
    7,368

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fehchet View Post
    When I lived in Erwin, I would walk from Gay Street over to the Nolichucky River and then up the switch backs to No Business Knob Shelter. One afternoon I arrived to a very misty and foggy woods surrounding the shelter. I sat down and began eating the lunch I carried in. When all of a sudden 20 turkeys quietly walked out of the fog and began pecking away at the ground near the fire pit and close to me. I didn't make a sound until they had walked back into the foggy woods.
    It may seem creepy there because of the spirits that still inhabit these historic Tennessee woods but I'm sure we are all welcome. We are just the future travelers passing through.
    Going back down to the Nolichucky is always the fun part because the walk up was the work of the hike -- such views too. Then a Mountain Dew at Uncle Johnny's and 2 miles on the flats back into Erwin. But 9 times out of 10 someone will stop and give me a ride home.
    I've been taking the Temple Hill Trail up to Temple Hill Gap instead of walking up all those switchbacks. It's over a mile shorter and only the last .75 mile is uphill.

    I can be at NBK shelter in less than 1.5 hours from Uncle Johnny's.

  14. #14
    Registered User fehchet's Avatar
    Join Date
    04-24-2004
    Location
    Siesta Key, Florida
    Age
    69
    Posts
    525
    Images
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    I've been taking the Temple Hill Trail up to Temple Hill Gap instead of walking up all those switchbacks. It's over a mile shorter and only the last .75 mile is uphill.

    I can be at NBK shelter in less than 1.5 hours from Uncle Johnny's.
    Yes, I know that route. I'm assuming you then must do the switch backs down to Uncle Johnny's for the views?
    Ever go up behind the high school to Curley Maple Gap Shelter the next shelter north? Lots of roads, routes, and trails from centuries of travelers crisscross the woods all around there. North Carolina can be found with a little work.
    I have a friend who is almost 100 years old and has lived in Erwin all his life and he has pointed me in many interesting directions in the area.

  15. #15
    Registered User wornoutboots's Avatar
    Join Date
    01-22-2008
    Location
    Kentucky
    Age
    48
    Posts
    985
    Images
    68

    Default

    I was thinking it was a little gloomy the other week as well, that block wall construction was just cold & grey looking, it may have a strange feel because the way it's situated on that little crest & you can look really far into a vast forest & you would never know if something deep in there was watching you??
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind.....Then Join In

  16. #16
    Rain Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-07-2003
    Location
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Age
    63
    Posts
    5,024
    Images
    620

    Talking

    Quote Originally Posted by maybe clem View Post
    What's that poor yellow creature trying to escape out the side?
    That thar is whut you call "red neck in-sull-lay-shun," I reckon! Some old raincoat or piece of plastic stuffed in the gap between the block wall and the roof.

    RainMan

    .
    ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit..... Numbers 35

  17. #17
    Regsiterd User
    Join Date
    12-23-2010
    Location
    Baldwinsville, NY
    Age
    27
    Posts
    1

    Default

    I did my business at No Business Shelter

  18. #18

    Default

    10-K,

    Wait until you start walking Holston Mountain....McQueens Knob Shelter. CREEPY. Its one of the oldest shelters on the trail. Its no longer official. No water source. And very dark and cramped.
    'The Tennessee Viking'
    FMST (MST) & TEHCC (AT) Maintainer
    Falls Lake Trail: 2011

    Just have three little words..."Go Hike It"

  19. #19
    AT 2010, FHT 2010-11, BMT '11, Bartram'11, LT'12, Pinhoti '13, Sheltowee, '13' 10-K's Avatar
    Join Date
    10-30-2007
    Location
    Erwin, TN
    Age
    53
    Posts
    7,368

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fehchet View Post
    Yes, I know that route. I'm assuming you then must do the switch backs down to Uncle Johnny's for the views?
    Ever go up behind the high school to Curley Maple Gap Shelter the next shelter north? Lots of roads, routes, and trails from centuries of travelers crisscross the woods all around there. North Carolina can be found with a little work.
    I have a friend who is almost 100 years old and has lived in Erwin all his life and he has pointed me in many interesting directions in the area.
    Do you remember the trail behind the high school up to Curly Maple Gap shelter enough to tell me how to get there? I *thought* there had to be a route up there somewheres - from a mile north of the shelter you can look right down on the high school.

  20. #20
    Rain Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-07-2003
    Location
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Age
    63
    Posts
    5,024
    Images
    620

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Viking View Post
    Wait until you start walking Holston Mountain....McQueens Knob Shelter. CREEPY.
    THIS one? Tiny, holely, with a very low entrance you have to duck down to get into.

    Rain Man

    .
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit..... Numbers 35

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •