WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Spontaneous, simple freezer bag recipes

I'm looking for freezer bag recipes that are simple to throw together without a lot of advanced preparation.

What are your favorite brain-dead-simple freezer bag recipes?

** following **
    Smile, Smile, Smile.... Mile after Mile

Images

Here is the best link to FBC recipes I have found.
    http://www.trailcooking.com/taxonomy/term/7%2B8

To keep things simple (if you do not have a dehyrator), you can use chicken or tuna pouches, ramen or couscous (for pasta) or instant rice (factory cooked and dehydrated). Remember dried mushrooms and vegatables (available at some grocery stores or health food stores/co-ops) and of course, Idahoan brand instant potatoes and Lipton or Maggi soup packets for flavoring/texture/gravies. And you can always buy dried onions (spice section) for flavor.

Just put together the combinations you like and test out in advance to determine the necessary water and rehydration times.

Guten Appetit!
    The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not "Eureka!" but "That's funny..." Isaac Asimov

Veni, Vidi, Velcro. I came, I saw, I stuck around.

Images

Default Cooking Coozy

I made my own cooking coozy out of reflectix and Gorilla tape (rated to 200°F). I made a little flap to close the pouch. I used a Glad brand quart freezer bag as the template, and made it slightly oversized. It weighs 1.5 oz and replaced any plate or bowl I need, and I never have to clean it!
    The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not "Eureka!" but "That's funny..." Isaac Asimov

Veni, Vidi, Velcro. I came, I saw, I stuck around.

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo Skipper View Post

To keep things simple (if you do not have a dehyrator), you can use chicken or tuna pouches, ramen or couscous (for pasta) or instant rice (factory cooked and dehydrated). Remember dried mushrooms and vegatables (available at some grocery stores or health food stores/co-ops) and of course, Idahoan brand instant potatoes and Lipton or Maggi soup packets for flavoring/texture/gravies. And you can always buy dried onions (spice section) for flavor.

Just put together the combinations you like and test out in advance to determine the necessary water and rehydration times.

Guten Appetit!
    German?
    Smile, Smile, Smile.... Mile after Mile

Foil packed chicken, cup of stuffing mix ( the kind you can use as much as you want not the kind you have to use the whole package) brown gravy ( also the kind you can just spoon out and not use whole package)
    Parkay if you got it.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

To make it filling: stuffing mix, instant mashed potatoes, instant brown or white rice, cheesy dehydrated potato mix, dehydrated hash browns, dehydrated macaroni, Knorr/Lipton sides (noodles or rice).*

For protein: Spam, can or pouch chicken, salmon or tuna, summer sausage, hard salami, chorizo, jerky, pepperoni, dehydrated hamburger, peanuts, peanut butter.

Good for you: Dried veggies, dried fruit.

Spice: Whatever floats your boat.

Just pick one of each and bag it up. Limited only by your imagination. That said, here's one that gets good comments whenever I make it for dinner:

Curry Rice (one *big* serving, or enough for 2 light eaters)

Bag 1 (quart freezer bag):
    1 cup instant brown rice
    1 1/2 tsp currry powder
    1/2 tsp dehydrated onion
    1 Tbsp chives or parsley
    1 tsp butter buds

Bag 2 (snack-sized ziplock):
    1/4 cup dried peas

Bag 3 (snack-sized ziplock, or pick it out of your gorp ):
    1/4 cup raisins
    1/4 cup peanuts

At least 15 minutes before eating, add enough cold water to peas to cover.

Add 1 1/4 cup near-boiling water to rice bag. Drain peas and add them too. Put the bag in a cozy for 15-20 minutes.

Add in the raisins and peanuts, stir and eat.

It's vegetarian as is, add a pouch of chicken with the hot water for extra protein.

* I don't like couscous or ramen and haven't had any luck with FBC quinoa.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Jones View Post
    Bag 2 (snack-sized ziplock):
    1/4 cup dried peas
    Is this the same thing I would call split peas?

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo Skipper View Post
    The recipes all look good, they generally have quite a few ingredients, including some I don't usually have on hand. I'm trying to think of things I can throw into the freezer bag the day before and head out. Part of my problem is that I don't use convenience foods in real life. Butter buds? But I can leave a lot of those things out or substitute something I do have.

OK, a lot like trail cooking without freezer bags ;->

Guten Appetit!
    Woher weißt Du, dass ich Deutsch spreche?

To make it filling: stuffing mix, instant mashed potatoes, instant brown or white rice, cheesy dehydrated potato mix, dehydrated hash browns, dehydrated macaroni, Knorr/Lipton sides (noodles or rice).*

For protein: Spam, can or pouch chicken, salmon or tuna, summer sausage, hard salami, chorizo, jerky, pepperoni, dehydrated hamburger, peanuts, peanut butter.

Good for you: Dried veggies, dried fruit.

Spice: Whatever floats your boat.

Just pick one of each and bag it up. Limited only by your imagination.
    Thanks - this formula is helpful. And reminiscent of standard camp cooking, actually.

Quote Originally Posted by Bootstrap View Post
    Woher weißt Du, dass ich Deutsch spreche?
    Wie jetzt - noch'n Deutscher in Durham?

Thanks - this formula is helpful. And reminiscent of standard camp cooking, actually.
    It can be same thing , just portioned out to one or two servings ahead of time. Like you said easy if it's stuff you keep in the cupboard any way.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.

The recipes all look good, they generally have quite a few ingredients, including some I don't usually have on hand. I'm trying to think of things I can throw into the freezer bag the day before and head out. Part of my problem is that I don't use convenience foods in real life. Butter buds? But I can leave a lot of those things out or substitute something I do have.
    I keep a little "camp pantry" with things like instant rice, bacon bits, butter buds, Nido milk, dried fruits and veggies and packets of hot sauce and spices. Pick up one or two items when you're doing your regular shopping and before long you'll have a stock that will really improve the variety of your trail food.

For butter buds, a squirt of olive oil into the rice with the water will do just fine, but I like the taste of butter.

Is this the same thing I would call split peas?
    I don't think so. I love peas, but can't stand split-pea soup. Weird, huh?

Once in a while, I'll pick up a bag of frozen corn, a bag of frozen peas, and a bag of frozen mixed veggies and toss 'em in the dehydrator. That keeps me stocked for several months.

Quote Originally Posted by Koinseb View Post
    Wie jetzt - noch'n Deutscher in Durham?
    Eigentlich bin ich Amerikaner, habe aber acht Jahre in Berlin gewohnt. Und spreche gern Deutsch.

Cheesy Bacon Spuds

Into freezer bag: as much instant potato flakes as you consider one serving;
    throw in some real bacon bits and dry milk, and season to taste with pepper, garlic powder, onion powder &/or dehydrated onion, chives, etc. You can also add freeze dried veggies.
    Wrap an ounce or two of velveeta in wax paper and slide it into a ziploc.

In camp, boil as much water as required by the amount of potatoes you put in the bag. If you added freeze dried veggies, use a little more. Put the cheese in the potatoes and pour the hot water over it. Stir; eat.

-FA

haven't had any luck with FBC quinoa.
    I wonder how well quinoa would dehydrate? I might have to cook up some and see how it goes. Anyone have experience?

Images

Not yet, but I note that Hawk Vittles uses quinoa in the Shrimp Jambalaya. So my guess is that it dehydrates well. I can let you know in sometime next month!

Quote Originally Posted by WingedMonkey View Post
    Foil packed chicken, cup of stuffing mix ( the kind you can use as much as you want not the kind you have to use the whole package) brown gravy ( also the kind you can just spoon out and not use whole package)
    Parkay if you got it.
    That sounds like it would taste good but how many calories do you think that would give you?

Quote Originally Posted by Creepwood View Post
    That sounds like it would taste good but how many calories do you think that would give you?
    Sweet Sue Chicken Breast 3oz 90 cals
    Stove Top Chicken Stuffing 1 cup Dry 240 cals
    Parkay Squeeze 1 TB 70 cals
    Tony Chachere's Brown Gravy Mix 1 TB 30 cals
    Total Calories 430

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++