WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Question regarding water filter use for great lakes

This is not a NCT direct question but didn't really know where to ask it. I'm going to N. Manitou Island in the Sleeping Bear Dunes memorial day weekend and will be doing some backpacking for three days. From some initial research I had regarding Isle Royal, they recommend filtering or boiling water from lake superior due to chemicals being ineffective against the hydatid tape worm. My question is, should I be concerned with not filtering water out of Lake Michigan? I use aquamira and don't feel like buying a water filter for one trip if I don't have to. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Safety Officer - AT(ME-->GA) 2011, CDT(CA-->ME) 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Tucky View Post
    This is not a NCT direct question but didn't really know where to ask it. I'm going to N. Manitou Island in the Sleeping Bear Dunes memorial day weekend and will be doing some backpacking for three days. From some initial research I had regarding Isle Royal, they recommend filtering or boiling water from lake superior due to chemicals being ineffective against the hydatid tape worm. My question is, should I be concerned with not filtering water out of Lake Michigan? I use aquamira and don't feel like buying a water filter for one trip if I don't have to. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks
    I have backpacked on N. Manitou with my daughter a few years ago (see pic). You should have a great time. We filtered water. I hadn't ever heard about the tapeworm thing on Isle Royal (but it's been 27 years since I've been there). After a little reading I found that dogs are the vector for spreading this parasite. On IR, that would be the wolves. As there are no wolves on (or anywhere near) NMI, I'm sure you will be fine. Heaven knows I accidentally swallow enough Lake Michigan water when swimming at the beach every summer, and I'm not worried.

NMI.JPG

Images

Thanks for the reply Odd Man. Makes sense about the wolves thing. Beautiful pic you shared, excited to get out there!
    Safety Officer - AT(ME-->GA) 2011, CDT(CA-->ME) 2013

Journal Entries

There is also an inland lake on that island at the top of the hill on the north end. They did also have water at the ranger station when you first get on the island. I have also, as a kid, swallowed alot of lake Michigan.
    I start out the Day with nothing and by the end of the Day I still have most of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tucky View Post
    Thanks for the reply Odd Man. Makes sense about the wolves thing. Beautiful pic you shared, excited to get out there!
    Also, come to think of it, even if there was a parasite problem, it would most likely be a problem on inland water sources, of which there are very few on the island. Be sure to tank up when you are close to the lake.

The last picture was take from the beach near Bourniques farm and cemetery (looking north along the west shore, you can just make out the dock 3.25 miles away). From there we hiked off-trail, following the lake shore around the south east point, the south point, and up the west shore. We had to wade out into the lake in a couple spots so we didn't have to scramble above some trees right on the shore line. About a 1.25 miles north of the southern tip of the island, you can climb up the bank to a clearing between the dune and the lake (just south of where the southern cross-island trail reaches the lake). At the edge of the trees there are lots of nice, secluded, campsites (legal if you are 300 feet from the lake) with a view of South Manitou Island, 4 miles across the lake (see picture). We were the only ones camping south of the main trail that night. We found out later the most everyone else off the boat took the trail across the center of the island and were camping about half-way up the west shore. We had the southern tip to ourselves - in August. The next day we hiked the trail up the west side (trail pic) and then clockwise all the way around the island to camp near the dock so we could catch the morning ferry on day three. Took lots of pictures of fungus and flowers. Had lunch by the junkyard was near Stormers Camp. Just north of the docks we ran across this hawk right next to the trail with one wing out hissing at us (creepy).

camp.JPG Trail.JPG fungus.JPG flowers.JPG junk.JPG hawk.JPG

++ New Posts ++