WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by TD55 View Post
    It's a wildnerness camp without road access.
    Nonsense. Search "White House Landing, Millinocket, Maine" on Google Maps, or use their website

http://www.whitehouselanding.com/location.html

Springer to Elk Park, NC/Andover to Katahdin
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    Nonsense. Search "White House Landing, Millinocket, Maine" on Google Maps, or use their website

http://www.whitehouselanding.com/location.html
    Yes, when I was there a family with an autistic child was there staying in one of the cabins by the lake. They and the couple canoeing the area lakes had driven there in their cars.
    I am not young enough to know everything.

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

I flew there on the back of a feral pig in '09. Had no trouble and was not stopped by the authorities. Bill then slaughtered my ride back home and charged me for the bbq sandwich.
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

I have nothing but good times at WHL. Both of the Bs are nice guys,L is too(and a looker). The food and accomodations are swell.Wha's not to like?

Quote Originally Posted by blaneyge View Post
    .Wha's not to like?
    From the website "Call for directions" :0

Journal Entries

yes we are now listed through remax,can get all info from them.MLS# 1104052 hopefully will be in backpackers and Trailgrove.

Journal Entries

what planet are you from???? we have no physical address ..we are T1R10,and yes we tell folks not to drive in after dark cause many have got lost and cannot follow directions which we do give.. we are behind a locked nature concervancy gate and the last 1/2 mile in you need a vehical with clearance which you never made it that far...$300 to get you to town ..try$75....now you can stick that up your back pack!!!! get your facts straight before running your mouth!!!

Journal Entries
    Images

Does one even own the land when you buy a camp like that?

listing says 7 acres.

Images

Listing says 7 acres, but I've yet to see a price. I'd be very interested in this, my grandfather owns a modular home company nearby and I wouldn't mind a career change.

$985,000

So do you buy this for the lifestyle or does the business throw off enough income to support the purchase price?

Images

Lifestyle. I'd never take on a million dollar camp, with the idea that you could make cash at it. King and Bartlett in Maine has changed hands a bunch of times since I was a kid and offered way more in the way of income generating potential as a top line fishing camp.

Some stock market expat will buy it and hide in the woods. Too rich for my blood, I'm just a simple funeral director.

Thats what happened with Rainbow Springs Campground near Franklin NC. Property value increased and the numbers didn't make sense.

I would not consider White House Landing particularly "hiker friendly." Also, I am not surprised they are selling.. they didn't seem to like the job of running the place when I visited on my hike in 06. This place is seriously expensive for hikers.

They sure were a welcome sight for my son in 2011 whilst trying to outrun Hurricane Irene!

Images

I'd imagine they have to deal with some real winners in their line of work. Also looking at how much they want for the property, I'm guessing their property taxes and operating costs are very high. If they're retired it is probably a drain on their cash flow. I had no problem when I stopped there on my section hike, but I wemt into it knowing what it cost and what was offered.

Business Description

An opportunity for a lifestyle change in one of the most beautiful locations in Maine. 4-season sporting camp, turn key, near Baxter State Park. Being offered for the first time in 22 years, White House Landing Camps caters to Appalachian Trail hikers, fisherman, and wildlife lovers alike. A perfect remote get-a-way, off the grid in the heart of Maine's 100-mile wilderness.

Detailed Information

Facilities: 7 acres, 1,000ft waterfront. Multiple buildings: (2) 4BR cabins,(2) 1BR cabins, (1) Bunkhouse sleeps 18, Shower Cabin, Main Lodge with kitchen, bar, and lounge, Owners house 2-3BR. Workshop, Garage, Generator Shed, Gas House, Garden Shed, Well house. Huge list of inventory being sold with business.

Growth/Expansion:
    Currently only used during hiking season (spring/summer). Can be used four-seasons

Reason Selling:
    Lifestyle change

Asking Price: $985,000
    Gross Income: $75,000

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

so they claim to make $75k working only 4.5 months out of the year? seems those numbers are a little skewed...
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

75k is gross, not net.

Never been there so can't comment on their business, but they do have an 18 person bunkhouse at $39 a nite. Plus a cabin or two. Plus meals. They would have to gross $550 a day every day over those 4.5 months to generate 75K. Certainly seems possible to me.

I do not know what interest rates are or taxes or insurance are in the area but lets run the numbers a little. If you could get 5 percent on $985,000 the monthly payment would be $5,300 or $63,500 approx a year principal and interest. Add taxes, insurance, utilities, maintenance and there is not a whole lot left. Leaves almost nothing for the owners to live on. Like others on this thread I would love to be the new owner but it would take some serious thinking. Almost forgot the 20% down. Rolls Kanardly

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++