WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Images

Default Possible Water Contamination on AT in Virginia

I just heard from the National Park Service that they have discovered Dihydrogen Monoxide (DHMO) in the ground water in Shenandoah National Park. The Ranger I talked to thought it might be from the recent firefighting efforts. They don’t think it’s a major health issue, but said it could cause things like bloating and excess urination if consumed in large qualities.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by bfayer View Post
    I just heard from the National Park Service that they have discovered Dihydrogen Monoxide (DHMO) in the ground water in Shenandoah National Park. The Ranger I talked to thought it might be from the recent firefighting efforts. They don’t think it’s a major health issue, but said it could cause things like bloating and excess urination if consumed in large qualities.

Images

I do hate it when di-hydrogen monoxide gets mixed in with drinking water. It gives it that...you know...taste.

Thanks for the warning. Be sure to keep everyone updated.
    The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not "Eureka!" but "That's funny..." Isaac Asimov

Veni, Vidi, Velcro. I came, I saw, I stuck around.

Images

Which filter would be the best?
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

Yeah, that's the same compound that hastens the erosion of the appalachian mountain chain, which would still be as high as the himalayans if not for this compound.

What day is today???????
    [COLOR="Blue"]Hokey Pokey [/COLOR]

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Old Hiker View Post
    Which filter would be the best?
    I doubt they make a filter which can completely remove it from the groundwater.
    The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not "Eureka!" but "That's funny..." Isaac Asimov

Veni, Vidi, Velcro. I came, I saw, I stuck around.

Doesn't matter what day it is; DHMO is a corrosive substance 365 days per year

Images

I tell my science classes that more people die each year from dihydrogen monoxide than any other 5 chemicals combined, just before we suit up and start to work with it. Haven't lost a 6th grader yet, but had some nasty spills.
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

Images

Its getting depressing. It was just last week they ran the story about the sodium chloride contamination in Chesapeake Bay.

Images

When DHMO gets in the atmosphere it can be nasty. We usually get warnings when a high concentration is expected in this area.
    Simple is good.

Keep it out of my Tequila
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

I have spent a lot of time in SNP lately and let me just say this about that.. oops i gotta pee first...be right back

maybe its from the Japan nuke reactor

It is the major component in acid rain, it contributes to the greenhouse effect, causes erosion, corrodes metals (i.e. it causes some metals such as iron to rust) and is lethal if inhaled.
    “Only two things are infinite; The universe and human stupidity,
    And I’m starting to wonder about the universe.”
    Albert Einstein

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Praha4 View Post
    maybe its from the Japan nuke reactor
    +1.....

Images

DHMO poisoning is a gruesome death. Brain swells. Takes about 24 hours to die after exceeding a lethal dose. We lose 2-3 service men and women every year to DHMO poisoning.

Old Hiker - No filters are effective as its not a solid above 0 C. Best defense is ensuring you don't consume more than your liver and kidneys can filter out. I restrict consumption of DHMO laced water to no more than 3 sips every 20-minutes. I about did myself in in 2010. No one told me the Potomac River has a high concentration of DHMO. Ingested too much in a short period of time. Was weak for several days until my body got the excess DHMO out of my system.
    Appalachian Trail Online Course
    http://at-trail.blogspot.com
    Information and resources for the A.T. hiker

Follow @section_hiking on Twitter
    http://Twitter.com/Section_Hiking

This is typical of the rumors that start when some uninformed person takes a simple fact and it gets distorted over the years and after being repeated countless times. The truth is that scientists have found that there are some lifeforms that have adapted and evolved over the eons and not only can tolerate DHMO in extremely large quantities but die if removed from these areas of large concentration. Whole industries have sprung up in some areas capturing and processing these exotic lifeforms and using them as a food source for humans. Many people don’t realize that they are ingesting the flesh of these creatures that are harvested from DHMO contaminated areas because the sellers of this tainted food jams it in a bun and slathers the seared flesh with various sauces and condiments so you cannot identify what you are eating.

I believe I once saw a cooking show where the host, without realizing that the viewers might try to duplicate the steps in her recipe, actually showed how to cook one of these creatures claiming that the fact that it had been removed from the DHMO and processed made it safe to eat. The only way to be completely safe is to go vegan or follow W.C. Fields' advice about these DHMO tolerant creatures.
    Last edited by The Old Fhart; 04-01-2011 at 23:54.

Images

LOL
    I wrote "Caution, floor contaminated with Dihydrogen monoxide" on the message board in the ambulance wash bay a few years ago (Not on 04/01) & people PANICKED for (Or so I was told) 3 days until one of the smarter managers did the math. He later told me that if he hadn't seen the panic himself & found it totally hysterical that I would have been written up & suspended for a week.
    He made all the crews who didn't wash their ambulances do it on their time for (His words) "being so stupid". They even had to use the dreaded H2O to wash the trucks, just to prove the point.
    Curse you Perry the Platypus!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by bfayer View Post
    Its getting depressing. It was just last week they ran the story about the sodium chloride contamination in Chesapeake Bay.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++