WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Mileage per day

Default Mileage per day

Im just curiois what kind of daily mileage people are doing on a NOBO. Im trying to plan things for next year starting in March. Im a marathon runner and in pretty good shape, not sure if that helps. Im also anticipating a full pack weight of + 30lbs and traveling with a partner. Am I crazy to think about 20-30mi day average? Im thinking less miles per day south of Damascus and North of Greylock, but we'd be able to cruise through the mid section....

Start at 10 - 13 but move to around 15 - 17 soon. Least that's what the thru hikers I met did. No way I could do that though. I decided to erection hike after I saw that.

Brrr section hike, stupid auto correct.

Quote Originally Posted by dragoro View Post
    Brrr section hike, stupid auto correct.
    ROFLMAO that's funny

Images

Good advice. GREAT delivery!

im going to try this erection hiking thing, this is the first i heard of it. lol

Images

You could do 20 mile days to start with but you'd probably end up hating yourself for it. 10-15 would be pretty reasonable to start with. Southern VA is pretty easy and you can consistently do 20-30 mpd until you get to Pearisburg then it's pretty tough up until you get to SNP. Maryland through New Jersey is a cake walk and you can really do some big miles if you want to but it gets tough again in New York. Connecticut through Vermont didn't seem all that tough to me but when you hit the Whites your mileage should drop considerably all the way through the Mahoosuc Range in Maine.

I wasn't a marathon runner before I started my thru but I consistently ran 4-6 miles every day for years prior. Conditioning-wise it doesn't really help but the fact that you are probably slim due to being a runner will definitely be an advantage.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

You will find out when you start hiking.

As a long distance runner you already have an understanding of "maximum pace to avoid injury", something most hikers do not understand.*

It's pretty common to overdo it.

I was at Hemlock Hollow hostel yesterday, just 15 miles north of Hot Springs and they were telling me they're already taking people to the doctor/hospital, bus station and airport due to injuries.

And, something that gets almost no airtime - some folks creep along when they could easily go faster - the better safe than sorry crowd.

Being tuned into your body as a runner is a huge advantage for hiking.

* Of course there are lot of injured runners who overdo it too.... Not saying being a runner puts a magic shield around you)

Quote Originally Posted by markmack View Post
    im going to try this erection hiking thing, this is the first i heard of it. lol
    Do you have to call the doctor if your hike lasts over 4 hours?

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    Do you have to call the doctor if your hike lasts over 4 hours?
    ROFLMAO!! Other side effects might include sore feet and blisters.

This side of the dirt
    Images

If you read some trail journals it will give you an idea of mileage hikers are doing.

Here is a link to Trail Journals
    http://www.trailjournals.com/index.cfm

I was out for 114 days, including 5 zeros, and I averaged 15.5 mpd. I had to get of in NH due to a chipped bone in my foot so injuries can and do happen.
    "Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed, is more important than any other one thing." Abraham Lincoln (1855)

Flip flop, flip flopping' LASHin' 2000 miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by mountainboogey View Post
    and traveling with a partner.
    What condition is your partner in? Course, if you want to leave her behind, she can hike with us
    Last edited by LDog; 04-02-2011 at 11:09. Reason: Forgot SFSF
    L Dog
    AT 2000 Miler
    The Laughing Dog Blog
    https://lighterpack.com/r/38fgjt
    "The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness." - John Muir

Well a friend of mine from the PCT is hiking the AT this year. He started out doing the sort of mileage one normally sees on the PCT after they get their trail legs, mid to high 20's. He is showing no signs of slowing down after 2 weeks. But it seems most start off doing under 15miles in the beginning. So it depends on how your body likes climbing steep trails day after day. Try a few shakedown trips ahead of time in tought terrain to get a feel for how your body will handle it. But I suspect that it will be your partner that will be determining your daily mileage.

Quote Originally Posted by mountainboogey View Post
    Im just curiois what kind of daily mileage people are doing on a NOBO. Im trying to plan things for next year starting in March. Im a marathon runner and in pretty good shape, not sure if that helps. Im also anticipating a full pack weight of + 30lbs and traveling with a partner. Am I crazy to think about 20-30mi day average? Im thinking less miles per day south of Damascus and North of Greylock, but we'd be able to cruise through the mid section....
    I, too, was a marathon runner, and you better know it helps. My pack weight was mid-20's. I averaged 17 mpd in 2000, NOBO. An average daily mileage of 20-30 would be very difficult and not very fun. With my daily mileage, it always seemed that I was pushing on harder and faster than almost any one else, even the young guys. I was totally exhausted at the northern end, as we all were.

litefoot

Quote Originally Posted by litefoot 2000 View Post
    I, too, was a marathon runner, and you better know it helps. My pack weight was mid-20's. I averaged 17 mpd in 2000, NOBO. An average daily mileage of 20-30 would be very difficult and not very fun. With my daily mileage, it always seemed that I was pushing on harder and faster than almost any one else, even the young guys. I was totally exhausted at the northern end, as we all were.

litefoot
    I only have 1 rule: No dinner if I didn't get in 20...

Working on Forestry Grad schol

I was doing 20s the first week I hit the trail for my first thru-hike, as was my then girlfriend. Very reasonable if you're an athlete.

Runners, IMO, tend to be very injury prone hikers for whatever reason.

Journal Entries
    Images

Default Miles per day.

It's simple. Divide the amount of days you have to hike by 2180 and that's the daily mileage you should average. Keep that figure in mind and when you build up excess miles you can take a "0" day. Just don't forget it's a thru-hike and not a marathon.
    I hiked in 2000 with a guy, Marathon Man, was his trail name. He was 50 years old and had been a competive runner for quite a number of years. He was in great shape. He made it to Neels Gap and went home. It took him 4 says and he was upset that he had planed to do it in 2 days but couldn't.
    Grampie-N->2001

The OP did say average mileage. You must factor in days that you may only hike 3 or 4 miles into town, or days that you don't hike at all, God forbid. High averages are very hard to maintain, day after day after day on a thru hike.

litefoot

Quote Originally Posted by ScottP View Post
    . Runners, IMO, tend to be very injury prone hikers for whatever reason.

Probably because of too much, too soon. The aerobics will allow you to do more than the musculo-skeletal is ready for with the extra weight.

litefoot

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by litefoot 2000 View Post
    I, An average daily mileage of 20-30 would be very difficult and not very fun.
    For you.

Otherwise my various hikes would not be fun for me.

I am not a marathon runner on a regular basis, but even not doing thru-hikes, I love to do 20+ MPD backpacks and long ski tours. Built for endurance and thrive doing it.

So here's one schlub who can and does 20+ MPD on thru-hikes and has fun!
    Last edited by Mags; 04-02-2011 at 18:46.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++