WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Shangri-La 2 vs Double Rainbow

My gf and I are going to be thru hiking this summer (SOBO) and so I'm looking for a shelter for two. I've been looking at the Tarpten Double Rainbow and the GoLite Shangri-La 2 w/ Nest. They're both comparable in weight, dimensions, and at the moment price. I love doing research so I'm having a tough time deciding between the two and would love to hear some feedback. I've seen positive comments about the Double Rainbow, but it doesn't seem like the Shangri-La is used as much, but I'm not sure why.

We're hiking together, but I could forsee less than ideal scenarios in which we may need to be separated for a day or two. If that's the case, the Shangri-La would be nice as one person could take the nest and the other could take the tarp. So, what do you all think?

DR: http://www.tarptent.com/double-rainbow.html
    Shangri-La: http://www.campsaver.com/shangri-la-2-shelter-34462
    Nest: http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___27836

I have a Shangri-La 1 and a Shangri-La 2 (which I havent taken even ut of it's stuff sack). The Shangri-La 1 and it seems really well built. The stitching on the seams is excellent, the vent and the ends is nice too. There really isnt a ton of head room (which can be expected) and I didnt realize it tapers and on the end opposite of the door. Unfortunately I dont have any experience with the Double Rainbow though. It does look like a nice tent though.

A few points to ponder, but keep in mind that I am with Tarptent...
    According to the Golite figures, the SL2 with nest and pegs would be about 53 oz, the DR is about 41.
    Splitting the nest from the fly may work , however if there are bugs and or it rains one of the two or both will not enjoy the night, although bugs tend to be more of a problem late in the afternoon than at night.
    I cannot find any decent pics but from the promo shots looks that as a tarp (fly only) set up the poles would be between the two, however not so when the nest is in place.
    From similar posts I gather that ladies in particular prefer to have two entry points. Having those as well as a vestibule each to stash the pack out of the way may also be a factor.
    Franco
    [email protected]

Height, length and width do not necessarily translate into usable interior dimensions. On A-frame tents much of the peak area won't accomodate the average head, and anything put near the walls often gets condensation on it from the low angled ceiling/floor interface. A tent built with an arch into its shape is more efficient in terms of useable internal space.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Images

I have the TT DR and I love it. I chose the DR over all the other because I wanted something free standing. I spent a decent amount of time every year out west on stone slabs where you need free standing tents. I did add 2 internal guy lines that add a good amount of interior volume.
    http://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=67337 It also preforms great in wind. Also you can set it up with the "canopies up" with an extra set of treking poles or guy lines to a tree and get a great view and plenty of room to cook. We have had our tent set up this way and invited another couple over for dinner. We cooked in both vestibules at the same time. When you have the awnings up it creates a large sheltered area in light to moderate rain.

But if I was doing the AT I would have strongly considered something lighter with a larger interior volume. Like the SMD lunar duo or other tarp tents. I just think you will always be able to pitch a tent or use a shelter.
    "you cant grow old if you never grow up" ~TUswm

Hike smarter, not harder.

I really need to do that mod to my DR. My vote is for the Tarptent (and I own a Shangri-la 3). Made in the USA. Quite possibly the greatest customer service in the world. What more do you need to know?
    Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe - Thomas Sowell

Grandfathers snore.
    Singletrack

Quote Originally Posted by protargol View Post
    My gf and I ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Singletrack View Post
    Grandfathers snore.
    I didn't get it until my GirlFriend pointed it out haha.

Does that mean you're a proponent of the separable tent system?

Thanks for the tips folks! I think I'm going to get a DR, but if I see any Shangri-La's out there, I'm going to interview them about it

You should add the SMD Lunar Duo to your list for comparison, more interior room (and headroom) is a good thing for couples.

Images

+1 on the Lunar Duo. We had a Double Rainbow for a couple of years and traded it for the LD. Much more usable interior room, at the cost of slightly more difficult setup, and it requires trekking poles.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

How bad is the space in the DR? I'm sure it's fine for a while, but does it wear on you when you're going for a few months? The lunar duo looks nice, but I'm hesitant because it's not free standing and I want something versatile enough that I can use it anywhere. I'm a broke grad student so I can't afford to buy a dozen tents

Quote Originally Posted by protargol View Post
    How bad is the space in the DR? I'm sure it's fine for a while, but does it wear on you when you're going for a few months? The lunar duo looks nice, but I'm hesitant because it's not free standing and I want something versatile enough that I can use it anywhere. I'm a broke grad student so I can't afford to buy a dozen tents
    It's not that the DR is bad, it's that the Duo treats the same basic floor space in a different way. The DR sidewalls slope inward, whereas the Duo's walls are more vertical. Unless you tent where wind is often an issue, there shouldn't be a problem with either, and even then I'd bet you can add additional guyouts to the Duo to assist with handling the wind load.

I use the DR, and when alone it's a palace. For two, it's comfortable. I'm very happy with it.

Flip flop, flip flopping' LASHin' 2000 miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

It's currently $105 from Go Lite's web site:
    http://www.golite.com/Product/ProdDetail.aspx?p=SH6122

Ooops! Outta stock

Nevermind ...
    Last edited by LDog; 04-07-2011 at 11:12. Reason: Added info
    L Dog
    AT 2000 Miler
    The Laughing Dog Blog
    https://lighterpack.com/r/38fgjt
    "The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness." - John Muir

After more research, I'm going with the Lunar Duo. Any suggestion on what stakes work best? I'd like titanium to get the best strength and smallest amount of weight. Also, how many would you all recommend bringing? Thanks for all the input.

Images

Stakes for the Duo: I like the big fat aluminum nail stakes, 4 6-inch for the corners, and 2 9-inch for the doors, plus a spare in case I lose one or need to guy out the top of the tent.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Images

I would lean toward the SL2. The new version with the nest is 2lbs, 10oz or essentially the same as the Double Rainbow. But....you then have a double walled shelter that will make managing condensation much easier and it is modular. If there is just snow or no bugs, you can leave the nest at home. The design is very good for handling snow.

++ New Posts ++