WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Getting from Dulles to Harpers Ferry

Hello,
    I am from the UK and need to get from Dulles airport to Hapers Ferry fairly late on Saturday.
    I have looked at the train but we are to late in to use it.
    It would seem that the only way is take the Taxi from the airport (which is a bit expensive). Can anyone reccomend a shuttle or advise on the various ways I can tackle the transfer.
    Many thanks in advance.

Regards

Bill

It's almost 2 hours by car to Harper's Ferry and will be crazy expensive in a taxi...plus you'll get to HP really late too.

As a Virginia native, I've done the late arrival to DC from Europe a few times, but always into Reagan because of it's access to the metro line. But for kicks, I looked into what I'd do if I was in your place

I'd just stay in the airport that night (or hotel) and then take a taxi early the next morning to the Vienna/Fairfax/GMU metro stop (taxi drivers should know where that is). Take the metro to Union Station to catch the Amtrak train to Harper's Ferry. The metro trains start going at 5AM, so you should have plenty of time to make it on the morning train to Harper's Ferry from DC. (Which I think leaves at 7AM, if I remember right. Even though the train to HP is a commuter train, you do need to buy your tickets to Harper's Ferry ahead of time though, and you can do that at amtrak.com.
    I hope that helps!

Default Shuttles from Dulles

Night want to give these guys a call:

http://www.mvshuttle.com/home.html

Default Sorry that's "might"

Sorry that's "might" not "night".

Well there are 2 options: taxi/shuttle or spend the night in DC and catch the train the next day.

ERU Services
    Kearneysville, WV 25430
    (13 miles west of Harpers Ferry)
    (304) 724-2202
    www.eruservices.com
    Airports: From/to Harpers Ferry to/from

Dulles ($128.50)

That rate doesn't seem too unreasonable. But you'll still have to get lodging in HF or hike in the dark.

Or go to the DC Hostel
    http://www.hiwashingtondc.org/find.shtml

Or a hotel
    http://www.kayak.com/hotels/Dulles-I...-23/2011-04-24

Also there is a outfitter in Harpers Ferry (1 block from the train station) to buy fuel and maps once you arrive. But I reccomend calling in advance to make sure they are open when you do.
    http://www.theoutfitteratharpersferr...let/StoreFront

Here's my report of my recent trip from DC to HF.
    http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=69984

Thanks guys.
    I choose Harpers Ferry because it has a store, bed and breakfasts (we need an intial adress in the USA to get pass the border control), good transport links and its right on the Appalacian trail.
    So I will contact the two shuttle companies reccomended and get a price - my understanding is that HP is only 50 minutes from Dulles - is that correct?

I am walking south to Damascus and was going to take about 3 days of food at a time. I looked at the maps and reckon that I should be able to restock on the way about every 3 days pretty easily - does the sound reasonable?

Many thanks guys.

Best Regards

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Busker View Post
    Thanks guys.
    I choose Harpers Ferry because it has a store, bed and breakfasts (we need an intial adress in the USA to get pass the border control), good transport links and its right on the Appalacian trail.
    So I will contact the two shuttle companies reccomended and get a price - my understanding is that HP is only 50 minutes from Dulles - is that correct?

I am walking south to Damascus and was going to take about 3 days of food at a time. I looked at the maps and reckon that I should be able to restock on the way about every 3 days pretty easily - does the sound reasonable?

Many thanks guys.

Best Regards

Bill
    42-46 miles depending the route: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...88028&t=h&z=10

Baltimore jack's article would be your best bet on resupply options (except I might resupply in Front Royal instead of leaving SNP to go to Luray, also Loft Mtn campground and store probably won't be open until mid-May http://www.nps.gov/shen/planyourvisi...g-schedule.htm):
    http://www.whiteblaze.net/index.php?...%20mile%20plan

Many thanks for taking the time to put this togther for me. We will be starting begining of June so most places will be open. So will plan for 3 days food and take some emergency ration for a day as well. I have no real feel for the distance we can cover (given that we will be carrying 30 lbs of kit - but in comparable hikes we can usually do 8 to 15 miles a day) but we can easily make adjustments as we go espically as the first half follows the Sky Line Drive.
    Weather - here in the UK pretty mutch anything can happen in June so you have to carry a huge ammount of kit just in case - but in continental USA I am guessing that its pretty dry and warm at that time of year.

Was in Huntsville on business in November last year - very nice indeed!

In June I would expect hot with occasional thunderstorms. Your summer gear should be suficient (plus a light rain jacket). Might want to pickup some bug repellent too.

Cheers!

- but in continental USA I am guessing that its pretty dry and warm at that time of year
    Warm yes...dry? don't count on it.

The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

....I am walking south to Damascus and was going to take about 3 days of food at a time. I looked at the maps and reckon that I should be able to restock on the way about every 3 days pretty easily - does the sound reasonable?.....
    .... We will be starting begining of June so most places will be open. So will plan for 3 days food and take some emergency ration for a day as well. .....
    Sorry for the late reply but I've been away. After you leave Daleville, VA, your next opportunity for resupply is 93 miles at Pearisburg so you'll need much more than 3 days of food. Otherwise, your 3 days supplies should work (I'd bring 4 but that's me) provided you're willing to hitchhike several miles on the stretch along the Blue Ridge Parkway.

Ok - will checks maps.

Thanks

Bill

Images

Train is always the best way to harpers ferry from DC
    Would you be offended if I told you to
    TAKE A HIKE!
    CowHead

"If at first you don't succeed......Skydiving is not for you" Zen Isms

I once was lost, then I hike the trail

I took a a taxi in the end and it was 100 US$ - which was fine when split 2 ways.
    We (my brother and me) did from Harpers Ferry to Waynesboro and had a great time - Hi to all those many north bound hikers we saw on the way.
    We had such a great time that we are doing the other end of Virginia this year from Damascus to Waynesboro.
    BTW we got a lift from Waynesboro with some crazy guy with a small dog to Charlotsville and then got a train to DC - very easy indeed.
    I did a B&B in Waynesboro - as part of the deal the guy picked me up. I will post the name and number of them as they were really good, even giving me an evening meal at no charge - so would thoroughly reccomend.

Best Regards

Bill Gates(Patch)

Great! Happy that it worked out for you and good luck on your Damascus-to-Waynesboro hike.

How many of people are going to be with you? Reason I ask is because maybe I can give you a ride.

The B&B we stayed at was The Trees Inn, 421 Walnut Avenue, Waynesboro (540) 949-4484

Mussleman1234 - this was just a closing note from the thread I started last year, many thanks for the offer anyhow

Amtrak leaves at 4:05 PM and the commuter trains only run weekdays, so with an evening arrival on Saturday, it looks like a taxi/shuttle will be the only transportation option that doesn't require and extra day in DC. Now an extra day in DC is a great thing (I grew up in the MD suburbs), but it won't save you any money or time, if that is your goal. Have a great trip!

Another tread on HF Hostels suggested the teahorse hostel.
    Their web page says they offer airport shuttles.
    http://www.teahorsehostel.com/Local_Attractions.html

The lady who runs the Tea Horse Hostel was really helpful and offered us a shuttle last year. But it had to fit around her business hours which of course wasnt that great for us. In the end we went with Airport Xpress - http://www.xpressride.com/ and they did if for 90$ - but its probably gone up a bit given the rise in fuel costs. They were really good and had no problems at all - like I say split 2 ways was fine and well worth it as after a 8 hour flight from the UK with the 5 hour time difference as well meant we were pretty brain dead.

++ New Posts ++