WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Damascus to Pearisburg

What would be the best option for hiking this section---NOBO or SOBO? Also suggestions on options concerning leaving my vehicle locations--shuttles--slackpacking--were to resupply etc.
    How many day for an average hiker? How would u describe this section?
    Thank you in advance.

Don Raines lives near Pearisburg and does shuttles - I'm not sure if he goes all the way to Damascus. His WB name is ratfaceraines. Everyone speaks highly of him. Unfortunately the Rendezvous Motel burned down a few months ago. I was able to obtain a shuttle from them several times and leave my car in their lot but I assume that's no longer an option.

I hiked from Atkins (I-81 crossing) to Pearisburg NOBO. My Damascus-to-Atkins hiking was 3 different section hikes in different directions. For your hike, I'd give SOBO a slight edge because Grayson Highlands, Mt. Rogers, and Damascus are cool places to end. But the hike approaching Pearisburg is nice also with great views from the ridgeline until you start your final descent and hiking NOBO to your car puts you closer to home. With the Rendezvous's demise, I don't know where I'd leave a car if hiking NOBO.

There are some long ups and downs on this section but also some relatively easy stretches. I'm a bit older than you and I'd plan on 12 mpd.

For resupply, I'd send maildrops to the Big Walker Motel in Bland (you'll have to stay a night there for them to hold your package) and the Relax Inn at the I-81 crossing. Hiking SOBO means you'd have 56 miles until the first mail drop and 55 miles to the second. From Atkins/Groseclose, it's 75 miles to Damascus but you can save one dinner by ordering pizza from Partnership Shelter.

It's a nice stretch - good luck!

Journal Entries

cookerhiker thank you for your words of support...i go anywhere---anytime. 540-921-7433(RIDE) don

Did that section a couple of years ago and went SOBO. The climb out of Pearisburg is steep by not as bad as out of Damascus. 12 days was what I remember it took. Yea parked at the Rendezvous, Either way, enjoy.

Couple of other questions: How plentiful is water going from Pearisburg to Damascus? What kind of temps would u expect say mid june to first of August and what sleeping/temp. gear would u suggest. Any other info on trail conditions etc would be appreciated.
    Hope u make it a great day and thanks again!

...Or is it Hiker Trash? Almost There's Avatar
    Images

I'm doing Dickey Gap to Pearisburg starting June 16. I'll be parking at Wood's Hole, and getting shuttled back down to where I'll start by them. I figure about 6-6.5 days to do the hike for me. Last day I'll hike the ten miles to Pearisburg, and then get shuttled back to my car, but I'll knock out ten by noon at the latest. There are plenty of places to resupply along the way. You'll pass Partnership (Pizza), Atkins/Rural Retreat, Bland, Trent's Grocery, and Wood's Hole. Weather...up for grabs, should be around (June, hotter afterwards) 80 during day, and around 60 at night, although this could fluctuate ten degrees either way that time of year. As for water, should be pretty good. I've hiked parts of Damascus to Pearisburg, and aside from that I haven't heard of any problems.
    Walking Dead Bear
    Formerly the Hiker Known as Almost There

Quote Originally Posted by Almost There View Post
    I'm doing Dickey Gap to Pearisburg starting June 16. I'll be parking at Wood's Hole, and getting shuttled back down to where I'll start by them. I figure about 6-6.5 days to do the hike for me. Last day I'll hike the ten miles to Pearisburg, and then get shuttled back to my car, but I'll knock out ten by noon at the latest. There are plenty of places to resupply along the way. You'll pass Partnership (Pizza), Atkins/Rural Retreat, Bland, Trent's Grocery, and Wood's Hole. Weather...up for grabs, should be around (June, hotter afterwards) 80 during day, and around 60 at night, although this could fluctuate ten degrees either way that time of year. As for water, should be pretty good. I've hiked parts of Damascus to Pearisburg, and aside from that I haven't heard of any problems.
    Partnership Shelter - I believe there is a minimum order of $50 fo the pizza, dont know the delivery charge.
    Atkins - the store near the trail had only limited supplies this spring, mostly junk food but it was enough to get to the next stop. good restraunt tho.
    Trent's Grocery - again limited supplies but enough to get you down the trail. I bought every piece of pizza they had to eat later.
    Wood's Hole - they had no supplies.

Unless it's been cleaned up since the snow storm there will be a lot of down timber both sides of Atkins. Not a big issue for most. I did however take a nose dive down a hillside trying to get over a tree with a locked knee.

...Or is it Hiker Trash? Almost There's Avatar
    Images

Drybones, good to know, didn't know about the minimum charge. As for the rest, limited is fine for me, because of the distance I'll be doing each day. Wood's Hole often does dinner and breakfast is what I meant, and Pearisburg is only ten miles up the trail from there. I'll be packing empty zip-locs to do just what you did at Trent's, and maybe out of Bland. Thanks for the info!
    Walking Dead Bear
    Formerly the Hiker Known as Almost There

++ New Posts ++