WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    This side of the dirt
    Images

Default Brush fire on Bear Mountain in Conn

Local fire departments responded to a brush fire (still burning) this morning in Salisbury, CT area. As of now I have no more details. It sounds like it is off Under Mountain Rd (Rt 41).
    "Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed, is more important than any other one thing." Abraham Lincoln (1855)

This side of the dirt
    Images

Per the local noon time news the fire is " along a popular hiking trail" and was started by man.

From the video footage it looks like it is just below the ridge line on the east side of the mountain.
    "Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed, is more important than any other one thing." Abraham Lincoln (1855)

This side of the dirt
    Images

It is burning on Bear Mountain in the Mount Riga area.

They have just called out another fire department for added manpower to fight this blaze.

Images

Unhappy

That's terrible! Is it up on the upper mountain, or on the Riga ridge to the east. Up top is old growth forest, that would be especially awful if there were a big fire up there.
    The more miles, the merrier!

NH4K: 21/48; N.E.4K: 25/67; NEHH: 28/100; Northeast 4K: 27/115; AT: 124/2191

Images

Thin write-up with this Channel 30 story, but a picture. My best guess from the photo is that it's near the Paradise Lane Trail east of the main Bear peak.

No photo with this Channel 3 story: http://www.wfsb.com/news/27835921/detail.html

Images

Argh, here's the Channel 30 link: http://www.nbcconnecticut.com/news/l...121554424.html

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Sorry to hear this. Hope they can put it out soon.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Yes, hope it's put out quickly.
    No fires allowed in CT, and some person not only has one, but lets it get out of control.
    May is the worst month for fires here in the Northeast. So much dry tinder, especially leaves, and no green carpet of grass yet.

Images

There's not much grass up there ever, anyhow. I think in some ways there could be worse times of year, as the likelihood of a good rain is pretty high in May, though the forecast for the next few days is clear and sunny. It's unlikely any firefighting efforts will be able to get to it - a similar-sounding fire on the eastern shoulder of Mt. Everett in summer 2002 was allowed to burn, and it was relatively close to the Mt. Everett Road. It smoldered for 7 weeks before being quenched by a soaking rain.

This side of the dirt
    Images

The fire is still free burning. They are now looking in to bringing in air support.

Here is a picture I took about an hour ago.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Montana Mac View Post
    The fire is still free burning. They are now looking in to bringing in air support.

Here is a picture I took about an hour ago.
    Where is the fire, Mac? Is it along Paradise Lane headed up Bear? Or is it on the lower Riga ridgeline to the east? Or elsewhere?

I was able to round up about 40 volunteer fire fighters and we are going to be heading out to the area at first light tomorrow to assist. Plan as of now is to cut a fire line to prevent continued advancing spread. I don't have any exact information on the location as of yet. As far as I know it is between Bear Mtn and Bald Peak spreading in nearly all direction but main advance is towards the N-NW. Current size is about 125 acres. Will try and post an update at some point tomorrow when we know more. If you are a certified fire fighter or forester and have free time come by the Salisbury fire house tomorrow morning around 0400 and join in the efforts. Bring an axe and or chainsaw if you can. If you are not certified you will be turned away due to liability and legal issues.

All others are being told to stay away from the area.
    "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." George Orwell

Oh yea, and pray for the rain to get here before saturday and to pour with a vengeance!
    "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." George Orwell

This side of the dirt
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Driver8 View Post
    Where is the fire, Mac? Is it along Paradise Lane headed up Bear? Or is it on the lower Riga ridge line to the east? Or elsewhere?
    The fire was located approx 1.5 miles north of where the AT crosses Route 41 and about a mile south of the Undermountain Trail head parking area.. It is on the east side of the mountain burning up. It has a fairly long front line that slopes up the mountain side.

On the 5:00P news the fire chief said it is approx 75 - 100 acres in size. It was spotted last night around midnight but the crews did not go in until daylight this morning.

It is a rugged area and access is the major problem.

This side of the dirt
    Images

Added info: They did say it was along the AT

Counting volunteers there will be about 200 fire fighters on the scene tomorrow. With any luck we will have calm winds and will be able to get a handle on it tomorrow.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Montana Mac View Post
    Added info: They did say it was along the AT
    Quote Originally Posted by Ironbelly View Post
    Counting volunteers there will be about 200 fire fighters on the scene tomorrow. With any luck we will have calm winds and will be able to get a handle on it tomorrow.
    That's awesome, Ironbelly, that you're able to go and help and that you've been able to put a team together. Wish I could help, but I'm not certified.

It definitely is rugged there. It it's up on the ridgeline, the AT would be negotiable to 4WD and ATV vehicles, certainly from the north via Bear Mtn Road from Mt. Washington Road and East Street. Can't get a fire truck anywhere near, but maybe 4WD pickups with water tanks. It'll be rough on the trail corridor, but not as rough as a fire. Good luck and Godspeed.

Images

P.S., sounds like, based on location and direction, it most likely started at Ball Brook Campsite or possibly Riga Shelter area.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Driver8 View Post
    If (corrected) it's up on the ridgeline, the AT would be negotiable to 4WD and ATV vehicles, certainly from the north via Bear Mtn Road from Mt. Washington Road and East Street. Can't get a fire truck anywhere near, but maybe 4WD pickups with water tanks. It'll be rough on the trail corridor, but not as rough as a fire. Good luck and Godspeed.
    This is the best report I've seen on the situation: http://www.wtnh.com/dpp/news/litchfi...eps-crews-busy

Looks like the crews are taking the approach I was suggesting, take advantage of the existing footpaths and get ATVs in. No suggestion of four-wheel-drive trucks, though. Widening the corridors (presumably Bear Mtn Road and the AT) by cutting brush. It's a shame what the fire and what they have to do to fight it are going to do to the AT corridor. Very unfortunate.

Images

This old USGS map will give some idea of the area: http://docs.unh.edu/MA/bash49sw.jpg.
    It looks from video as though the area is, more or less as Ironbelly said, east of the 1943 foot peak about a mile south of Bear Mtn and just south of the southern branch of Brassie Brook where the shelter is (Bald Peak is the 2010 foot peak labeled as Mt. Riga on the map). Could've started at Brassie Brook or Ball Brook camping areas, or, from the looks of where the smoke is, could be eastward down the cliffs and might've originated outside the AT corridor - might not've been started by hiker/campers as most reports have suggested. Probably more answers will be found when and if the firefighters get it under control.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++