WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Would you buy a license to hike?

Years ago I used to hunt ducks and for that I purchased the federal duck stamp. It's a tax that is used to improve wetlands so it helps ducks and all other creatures in the wetland. I no longer hunt ducks but I still buy the duck stamp. If they could start such a fund that would be used to improve all the hiking trails I would be willing to purchase a hiking stamp. This would only truly work if it was required for all. You want to hike the Appalachian Trail? You would be required to purchase a AT stamp. Would you support such a tax?

Images

No, I wouldn't. Too many other places to hike for free.

Quote Originally Posted by moldy View Post
    Years ago I used to hunt ducks and for that I purchased the federal duck stamp. It's a tax that is used to improve wetlands so it helps ducks and all other creatures in the wetland. I no longer hunt ducks but I still buy the duck stamp. If they could start such a fund that would be used to improve all the hiking trails I would be willing to purchase a hiking stamp. This would only truly work if it was required for all. You want to hike the Appalachian Trail? You would be required to purchase a AT stamp. Would you support such a tax?

Shhhhhh keep that idea to yourself
    Those that danced were thought mad by those who could not hear the music. George Carlin

Part of my taxes already go towards the parks system. As you stated, you already contribute extra by buying duck stamps, there's nothing to stop someone from donating extra directly to the park of their choice.

I suspect that volunteering time is at least as welcomed as money.

Quote Originally Posted by moldy View Post
    no............

Yes I would support it. But who enforces it. You would have to pay people to enforce it which would hurt the bottom line. And all the gram wennies would be up in arms cause the would have to carry the extra weight of a stamp.

Images

how to enforce and levy sanctions? IIRC there once was, or is, an excise tax on certain sporting goods to support conservation efforts. Would it be worth collecting 1% on say hiking boots, tents, back packs larger than school size, dehydrated food as examples to fund trail and facility maintenance? Very few NP visitors voluntarily donate in a meaningful way I suspect. For all of the visitors to GSMNP where there is no entry fee by law and custom, the park donation boxes fail to garner much $$.
    Let no one be deluded that a knowledge of the path can substitute for putting one foot in front of the other.
    —M. C. Richards

Images

Probably not, not with the way the entrance fees have been administered.

If we could guarantee that taxes collected for back-country use were used for back-country preservation/improvement that would be one thing. But I would assume that, as with the entrance fees, the money would go to front country improvements. More campgrounds, roads, parking lots, kiosks, etc.

In the meantime, back country facilities are built and maintained by volunteers.

Images

no, I already pay enough dues, taxes, fees.

Journal Entries
    Images

That is NUTS!!!!

Journal Entries
    Images

Default Tag

Quote Originally Posted by hikingshoes View Post
    That is NUTS!!!!
    I would buy a tag if my state had one, but thats it.HS

Breaking rules like that is how NASCAR started.

Bootlegging does have that hiking ring to it..........
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Journal Entries

i would.... i hate taxes though, and if it would really go into the trail itself, yes i would......... but i still really hate taxes.

Images

If you buy an NC Friends of the AT plate, you can donate whether you want to or not. I got the plate and a card that asked if I wanted to join the ATC or not. I checked the no option. Nevertheless, I had a huge charge for my plate the next time I got my car inspected. I called and asked if they could sort it out, and they said it was all taken care of. Happened again the next time I got it inspected. So I didn't get my free one year membership, newsletter, sticker, patch, etc.... But at least it went to the trail (I hope).
    "A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do."

-Bob Dylan

In theory, the way it would be spun/sold to the public, it might sound like an OK idea. In practice, NO WAY! Are you crazy? Just what we need more government, legislation, laws, and taxes. I'm with the Great Orator, Ronald Reagan, things are not always better/or best with greater govt involvement! Bigger govt is not always the answer.

You also make a big assumption that you know where the money will ACTUALLY go. That's a laugh!

Images

I would much rather see all hikers required to do some trailwork...but then we wouldn't have an all volunteer army of maintainers.
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

Registered User LoneRidgeRunner's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    no, I already pay enough dues, taxes, fees.
    ditto.....

Registered User LoneRidgeRunner's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by hikingshoes View Post
    That is NUTS!!!!
    yep.......

There is a difference between a license and a stamp. I buy a hunting or fishing license to show I'm am qualified to participate in those activities. I buy license stamps to support or pay for areas or types of game I seek. Here in Florida some Wildlife Management Area's require stamps or fees even to hike. Some game requires specific stamps to catch or hunt.

Maybe there should be a hiking license, then it could be revoked for being stupid or for destroying property. But each state would want their conceived share. Would you would have to get a stamp for each trail?

Then again I've always thought people should get a license to have children. They're already required in my county to have dogs.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Images

moldy, there are numerous trail maintaining organizations that you can donate your time and money to, that would thwart the need for any additional "license fees". Would you donate to them, or do you prefer the idea of a license?Are you an ATC member?Do you practice and teach LNT?(please, lets not get religious again)?By being part of the solution, this is an issue that can be avoided.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++