WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8

Yes or no to carrying ATC maps? They are expensive but are they worth it?

Images

I say they are. I always carry maps.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Ok, as a former Paramedic and wildland firefighter let clear up a few things. First things first, tourniquets have a bad rap. They do not cause limb lost like everyone thinks. The military has don't numerous studies on this. Secondly, to lighten up your first aid kit, learn to how to use multi use everyday items. A banana can be used as a wrap for sprains, or used with two sticks used as a splint. Take a two small pieces of alum rocks, put one in each pocket. This will stop chafing. If your water filter breaks, alum will purify your water. The alum crystals are also antibacterial. But if you have soap and a little bit of friction ( you can wash the bacteria off). If your bleeding is so bad, bust out your stove and heat the blade of your knife and cauterize it closed, and guess what? The wound now is sterile. Don't want to you use your only banana? Well boil some water and throw your socks in it, and now you have a sterile dressing. Have diarrhea ? Throw some mud in your pot, heat it up, let it cool and eat a handful (its called geophagy and the mud will absorb poisons toxins, and even viruses). If your paying attention to where you step and come into contact with poison ivy, wash it off with soap and water. Wet feet? Rub the alum crystal on em after cleaning them, or Vaseline, mushers secret or other foot balm. The petroleum will bring white blood cells to the surface to help heal and dry your feet out (why you don't use it on a tattoo lol). I think alot of yal over think the first aid thing, and unfortunately the only cure for the rapid contingent of ignorance is real life experience. Snake bits, are another thing, none of the gizmos they sell work, don't cut it and try to suck it out or any of the other myths people believe. The ONLY thing that will work besides anti venom, is to remain CALM. The slower your heart beats the slower the spread. If you get all worked up, the adrenaline will speed up your heart and make the spread faster. Control your breathing, your heart beat and understand you will live. (Oh I was bitten by a copperhead....real life experience)

Quote Originally Posted by Lilred View Post
    Doctors are using this now in the emergency room instead of staples and stitches. I plan on carrying a tube with me on my long sections. Also, fingernail polish remover will unstick any stuck fingers. I'll carry a very small vial of that too.
    Yes, we even use it to close surgical incisions, but the difference is the glue used by physicians is sterile. Superglue most assuredly is not. One does not want to put a non-sterile, virtually irremovable substance on a fresh wound. Having said that, it is my husband's favorite type of wound closure especially when reinforced with duct tape!

Quote Originally Posted by cornflake View Post
    Also, how much your first aid kit is a safety and comfort issue. You can probably hike the entire trail with just a few band-aids and some moleskin. But, then again, it's real nice to have more if and when you need it. Same goes for compass, whistles, repair parts, duct tape, and maybe maps.
    Don't forget the Powerglide or Immodium![/QUOTE]

Wouldn't the Immodium and a "blow-out" kit be the same thing?

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Feathers View Post
    This may be wrong but several years ago the only place you could find this wrap was at pet supply stores
    The next time you give blood, ask if you can have a roll instead of the bag, hat or t-shirt they are giving away.

Images

Great dialogue and very helpful. I'm reassessing what to carry now. With that I'm curious how everyone is packing ther bag? Clothes in the bottom, food on the top...

I'm bringing a sword and a shield on the trail, I don't care what anyone says!

Quote Originally Posted by Fireonwindcsr View Post
    Great dialogue and very helpful. I'm reassessing what to carry now. With that I'm curious how everyone is packing ther bag? Clothes in the bottom, food on the top...

Generally you want your heavier items near the bottom, you don't want your pack to be "top heavy". As far as specifics, it might depend on how easily you want to access certain items in your pack. Ex. if you want quick access to your rain poncho, keep it in a separate compartment of your bag.

I usually get the heavy things in, then cram the fluffy things in (sleeping bag in stuff sack, etc) to keep everything tight.

I guess there's a lot to consider, maybe you have something semi-sharp in your pack, you might want to keep it stuffed somewhere in the middle of a softer item. You can also line the inside of your bag with a heavy duty garbage bag, and take it out at night to cover your bag, to keep it dry.

Just some thoughts... I am a newbie!!
    A hiking stick a-sway keeps the doctor at bay.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8
++ New Posts ++