WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    irreverent
    Images

Default SMD Skyscape Trekker- big guy review, right out of the box!

Just opened up the priority mail box and set up my much-researched and much-anticipated Ultra-light tent that will fit a big guy and has all the greatest features. I communicated with Ron at Six Moon Designs as this was being designed and manufactured and really looked forward to a non-misting hybrid tent that uses trekking poles and will fit my 6'1" self on a neo-air and in a long bag.
    Let's begin: first off, this isn't as big as I thought it was going to be. I do fit, but just barely...and there aint gonna be no thrashin around when it's rainin out or my bag's gettin wet. That said, this is a very well made tent: fit and finish are top-notch. I cannot find a fault in the stitching and all sewn seams seem very sturdy. The tent sets up rock-solid and the set-up is very intuitive. 3 stakes hold the tent up just fine and the additional 2 for vestibules held it without a tremor in 15 mph winds in my backyard. There is an additional rear guyout that will give the feet a little more clearance when braced up over a stick, but only about an inch. Without the rear guy out my size 13 feet on a 2.5" neo-air (size large) had 2" from the canopy when my head was at the top of the mattress. A size reg. neo-air will improve that. The bathtub floor is very minimal- 2.5" when set out with my mattress....it seems like a sideways rain might leave me pretty muddy and wet- I'll try adjusting down the canopy so it's pitched steeper and closer. The reinforced areas for the poles and crossbrace seem up to the task. There are thoughtful tie-backs and toggles for multiple configurations. . I had it seam-sealed and they did a professional-looking job...I've yet to see better.
    I bought an optional porch with mine. No instructions. I thought it would zip in the vestibule...nope. It has a few mysterious plastic connectors and a piece of velcro. Can't figure the damn thing out for the life of me......okay, just called smd and had it explained to me. I get it now but the porch seems cut too big. The velcro doesn't line up when connectors attached. With tensioning strap that runs across the top pulled all the way in- it still sags and seems loose. The whole thing billows and tosses around in the slightest breeze. This can't be right.
    ....I'll deal with it later, the wife's almost home from work and I promised to have the tandem ready to ride. Here's some pix, I'll get back to it later on the weekend.

Last edited by attroll; 12-11-2015 at 10:31. Reason: Removed broken images

irreverent
    Images

... just talked to smd: I had the porch braced wrong. I'll try it again this weekend. (SMD: how 'bout some instructions in the bag with the porch!).

Images

...waiting for mine, Sept hike in Vermont, like the open air feel, Tarptent is excellent but really nice to have plenty of airflow and views when not raining. Lighter weight is always a nice +

Hike smarter, not harder.

So what's the tip for the porch?
    Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe - Thomas Sowell

irreverent
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by skinewmexico View Post
    So what's the tip for the porch?
    I had placed the support poles too far apart. Gonna try it again this weekend, or so.

This has got to be the best gear review piece I've seen yet on WB!

Very nice--thanks for taking the time to share the info.

The 2.5 inch bathtub floor is probably going to be an issue, this is often the most overlooked area of a tent - splashing effect. For me, that's a dealbreaker, otherwise it does look good.

Images

I dont see that as an issue. The tent is staked close to the ground with the tent's foot print generally larger than the foot print of the floor itself. No different than the many floorless tents that I have slept in and stayed dry.
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tuckahoe64 View Post
    I dont see that as an issue. The tent is staked close to the ground with the tent's foot print generally larger than the foot print of the floor itself. No different than the many floorless tents that I have slept in and stayed dry.
    That's right... I have a LH Solo which from the looks of it is the twin brother to this tent and even in a driving, pouring down thunderstorm I didn't get any splash inside.

What kind of pole do you have at the top? I'm assuming you insert your pole tips inside on either side of it.

Is it sewn in or do you have to insert it? One of the things I don't particularly like about the LH Solo is that the pole is loose and has a tendency to move around. It'd be better sewn in. (minor complaint... I have to really reach to find anything negative to say about the tent really)

Removable spreader pole. I saw a discusstion on BPL where some guys replaced it with Pex tubing. They bent the ends (with a heat gun) to take trekking poles. Said it worked much better than the factory.
    Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe - Thomas Sowell

irreverent
    Images

Removable spreader pole. I saw a discusstion on BPL where some guys replaced it with Pex tubing. They bent the ends (with a heat gun) to take trekking poles. Said it worked much better than the factory.
    what's pex? where do you get it? the fabric covered spreader pole that comes with the tent seems to work well enough, but I'm concerned about durability...esp since the pole ends fit into a fabric pocket (really heavy material, but hey,it's fabric)

Pex is a kind of plastic tubing. I want to use it to make the pole tip pocket longer. I'm kind of worried about my trekking pole coming out of the factory spreader.

Sir, just out of curiosity is the tent seams single or double stitched?

Pex is a kind of plastic tubing. I want to use it to make the pole tip pocket longer. I'm kind of worried about my trekking pole coming out of the factory spreader.
    I heated my spreader pole (made out of PVC) over our gas stove and custom fit my trekking pole tip to the spreader pole.

You can buy pex at lowes in the plumbing section where the pvc is. Blue for cold, red for hot.

Looks like they totally copied the Lightheart Solo, only skinnier.

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    That's right... I have a LH Solo which from the looks of it is the twin brother to this tent and even in a driving, pouring down thunderstorm I didn't get any splash inside.
    To me the Lunar Solo has more ample fly coverage, where as this tent has the fly comes real close to the peak, where your head is, you will get splash at that location, perhaps not, but I still wouldn't buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by stranger View Post
    To me the Lunar Solo has more ample fly coverage, where as this tent has the fly comes real close to the peak, where your head is, you will get splash at that location, perhaps not, but I still wouldn't buy it.
    Just for clarification I was talking about the LH (Lightheart) solo - not the Lunar Solo. Though I have it too and never had splash with it either.

Too many tents....

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    Too many tents....
    I'm emailing you with my shipping addy.

The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++