WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Registered User Sunshine Tami Jo's Avatar
    Journal Entries

Default Flipping to Baxter

I've made it to Pearisburg VA and now I'm home for a short home visit. I'm making plans to flip now and head to Maine. I have a friend who wants to join me for a hundred miles or so. I'm trying to sort out my plans, and I'm hoping someone out there might have some advice for me.

How do I get from the airport to Baxter? What can I do with my dog while in Baxter? Where would be a good place for my friend to get off the trail and make her way home?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Section Hiker, 625 miles & counting mooseboy's Avatar
    Images

My advice may be too theoretical as I've never hiked that section, but I have done a lot of research in the past in case I ever do it...Probably the best plan for your friend is to hike the 100-mile Wilderness with you and finish in Monson. I believe there are people there who will shuttle her to "Civilization", but it may not be cheap since it's still a long way from the nearest transportation (i.e., Portland or Bangor).Your options from Bangor-Baxter are varied; check both the Thru-Hiker's companion & the ATC Shuttle List for detailed options, but I know you can take Cyr Bus lines from Bangor-Medway and then get a shuttle or taxi to Millinocket and even Baxter (though Baxter will cost you). The Appalachian Trail Lodge in Millinocket, I believe, offer a "hiker's special" for $70 that includes overnight bunkhouse, a meal, and a shuttle to/from Baxter: http://www.appalachiantraillodge.com...-hikers.phpNow that I check, I see that they offer shuttles to/from Monson, Medway, Bangor Airport, etc. They may be your best option in the area, although I'm working entirely from Internet & Companion research here. Anyone who knows this area may have better suggestions.Enjoy the rest of your thru-hike!
    --There is always more uphill.

Section Hiker, 625 miles & counting mooseboy's Avatar
    Images

Sorry, the link I provided got pasted weird. Here's the correct one: http://www.appalachiantraillodge.com...hru-hikers.php
    --There is always more uphill.

I have left my dogs with a women in Millinocket who caters to Hikers. I don't have her info but you should be able to find her through the companion, AT Cafe, or AT Lodge. It will require an extra shuttle going back to Millinocket once you get out of Baxter but I know of no other way. I assume Shaw's in Monson still does shuttles all over but its been more than ten years since I was last there.

++ New Posts ++