Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default What do I do about underpants?

Hello, ladies, I need some major help. I'll be leaving for my very first hiking trip on the 30th. I'm going with a friend and her father; it's my friend's first time hiking as well. I tell you this so you understand why I'm not asking my mentor; my friend's dad is an awkward, nervous slip of a man. I want to know about underpants and even bras (though I'm less worried about that) on the trail. Do I bring underwear? Do I buy shorts with underpants built in? I see a potentially awkward situation coming in the near future.
    Any advice is much appreciated.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I used Barely There for underpants. Great for hiking, imo.
    I used a sports bra from JC Penney. Worked fine for me. You want one with light enough material so it dries quick but still gives the support you need.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

I bought some exofficio underwear and didn't carry any spare pairs. I could rinse them out and wear them dry. I hiked the PCT where the air is drier, though.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

Images

I brought 2 pair. I'd rinse one each day and switch. How long is your hike? If you are going to be near any swimming hole, bring a black pair and a black sports bra. Ready made swim suit!

Second on the exofficio. They wash and dry insanely fast. I brought one pair only to wear if I needed to use a pad. The rest of the time I went without. Once I got good with my keeper I sent the pair of underwear home.

I carried 3 pairs of panties, one to hike in, one to sleep in, and one to wear while I washed clothing. Get microfiber ones, they wick and dry very fast.

Just make sure whatever kind of underwear you decide on can BREATHE! If you get moisture trapped down there, you're going to be a really unhappy camper! I use good ol' cheap cotton ones for sleeping and usually a pair of Under Armour for hiking. I'd like to try out the ExOfficio, but since my sister works for Under Armour I usually get a pretty good deal.

I just use cheap nylon underwear. Never had a problem with them. They wash and dry quickly.

Images

Exofficio underwear work great, they're light weight (1 oz), wicking, and antimicrobial. I have 2 pairs and do wash one, wear one. If shorts with liners are your style that's fine, but remember to keep them clean and have at lesat one spare pair. As for bras, I have a front hook moderate-support Danskin sports bra. It's wicking with a mesh back, front hook prevents any irritation on my back, and only cost $11. Just use whatever you are comfortable with that isn't cotton.

I don't hike in underpants (unless I have my period) but do bring a pair of cotton (much better for the crotch area) to sleep in. I have found that shorts with a liner are very very comfortable. It makes me feel much cleaner at night for some reason. LOL But also, since I always sleep in synthetic pants, I like to have cotton up against certain areas.
    Enjoy your first trip...you'll love it I think!

Quote Originally Posted by EJC View Post
    Exofficio underwear work great, they're light weight (1 oz), wicking, and antimicrobial. I have 2 pairs and do wash one, wear one. If shorts with liners are your style that's fine, but remember to keep them clean and have at lesat one spare pair. As for bras, I have a front hook moderate-support Danskin sports bra. It's wicking with a mesh back, front hook prevents any irritation on my back, and only cost $11. Just use whatever you are comfortable with that isn't cotton.
    I got thigh chafing wearing exofficio panties on my thru. I got some of the microfiber ones at wal mart, and they work great. Maidenform are fairly cheap and comfortable as well.

One to wear and a spare plus panty liners. Change the liners as often as you need keep the panties wearable longer.

Images

I agree! Panty liners will also save your hiking shorts, they will stay cleaner and not smell as bad!

Thank you, everyone! I just got back from my hike last night, and it was a great success. I couldn't have done it without you.

Images

I usually use microfiber ones; they dry fast and are comfy. I never carry more than 3 pr: the pair I have on; the pair I'm gonna put on before bedtime and a spare pair in case I get lazy or conditions don't let me rinse out the pair I have been wearing all day.
    Give Me Mountains & I Am Happy!

Images

Male or female, I am really sold on lightweight merino wool. Tee shirts, long underwear and underwear.

Quote Originally Posted by doritotex View Post
    I agree! Panty liners will also save your hiking shorts, they will stay cleaner and not smell as bad!
    Question: Do you just pack out the panty liners in your pack?

Quote Originally Posted by Grace Bachmann View Post
    Question: Do you just pack out the panty liners in your pack?
    yes, pack them out. I bring a small ziplock bag that I keep with my toilet paper. Used wet wipes and panty liners go in that and get pack out to the next trash can.

Quote Originally Posted by Bear Cables View Post
    yes, pack them out. I bring a small ziplock bag that I keep with my toilet paper. Used wet wipes and panty liners go in that and get pack out to the next trash can.
    You can often toss liners and TP in a campfire if there's a good one going.

I also like "Barely There" panties. I'm still using the ones I got years ago, so I don't know if they've changed. I think I got them on sale for $3...? :P

I'dnt understand the fuss is all about, I bought 2 pairs of men water shorts and wash just the liner part after in get in camp for the night and if not dry for the morrning I put mt other pair on.
    Last edited by Kermitt; 08-20-2011 at 14:31. Reason: miss spelled

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++