WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Digital Audio Recorder feedback

One of the things I want to incorporate into my upcoming thru-hike is audio journal entries (for when I don't have the time or energy to write and something is on my mind) that tie into my written ones. I have been looking around the trusty interwebs for a decent candidate and I am pretty sure that I have decided on this:

Sanyo ICR-FP600D Digital Voice Recorder

It is 1.3oz(including battery) and has a 29hr record time off one AAA battery.
    Expandable memory (up to 8GB) to allow 90 hours of recordings.

The only drawback I can possibly see is the size (37mm x 95mm x 18mm)

I just wanted to get some ideas and/or thoughts from everyone out here. Also if anyone has found a lighter/better/smaller recorder please offer it up
    "I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to move." ~Robert Louis Stevenson
    AT thru-hike in planning - Class of 2012

That's really not so large. It looks like a good deal for what you want it for.

Journal Entries
    Images

All smart phone appear to include that - try to find one that connects with Real Player.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

I used a digital voice recorder when I hiked the AT. It was great, I would record little sound bites along the way so that wehn I got to camp in the evening, I was able to remember all the details of the day and write them down. It really improved my journaling. Day after day things can blend into each other, names of mountains people etc can be forgotten after a 15 or 20 mile day. The one I have is also an mp3 player, and fm radio so I was occaionally able to pick up NPR news.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    All smart phone appear to include that - try to find one that connects with Real Player.
    All smart phones have chargers, which require electricity. And most have very poor battery life.

Quote Originally Posted by HeartFire View Post
    I used a digital voice recorder when I hiked the AT. It was great, I would record little sound bites along the way so that wehn I got to camp in the evening, I was able to remember all the details of the day and write them down. It really improved my journaling. Day after day things can blend into each other, names of mountains people etc can be forgotten after a 15 or 20 mile day. The one I have is also an mp3 player, and fm radio so I was occaionally able to pick up NPR news.
    Do you recall or still have the one you used so I can compare?
    "I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to move." ~Robert Louis Stevenson

This is the one I've used on several thru hikes; http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sony-ICD-B...order/16207340

I believe I only changed batteries once or twice during each thru hike. I did turn it off each time I was done with it though.

It helped me tons in writing my journal each night by just little short messages to bring the day back. It also helped remembering people I saw.

It took me a short while to learn it, but then it was pretty much automatic each time I needed it.
    Stumpknocker
    Appalachian Trail is 35.9% complete.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Large View Post

Do you recall or still have the one you used so I can compare?
    I"m sure it's around somewhere, but I can't find it, and I don't remember the name - I know you can't get them anymore, so... it wasn't much bigger than perhaps 2 AA batteries - it took only 1 AAA battery.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by stumpknocker View Post
    This is the one I've used on several thru hikes; http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sony-ICD-B...order/16207340
    I cannot find the weight anywhere. I notice it takes 2 batteries, how heavy is it?

EDIT: Nevermind, I found it (3.6oz with batteries)
    Last edited by 30 Large; 08-16-2011 at 19:53.

Journal Entries
    Images

30 large - IF i left my smart phone on for two days - it survives, They all include power management and the latest lithium batteries. If I turn it off and let messages accumulate on the cloud - it will last much longer.... unlimited storage and instant labeling in real player format.... Add a Bruton charger and wow.... - well nevermind.

But hey, its your opinion....
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Flip flop, flip flopping' LASHin' 2000 miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

unlimited storage and instant labeling in real player format....
    What app are you using?

--
    Chilly
    laughingdawg.blogspot.com
    L Dog
    AT 2000 Miler
    The Laughing Dog Blog
    https://lighterpack.com/r/38fgjt
    "The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness." - John Muir

Journal Entries
    Images

Free AL Voice Recorder v2

Woo

Images

30 large - IF i left my smart phone on for two days - it survives, They all include power management and the latest lithium batteries. If I turn it off and let messages accumulate on the cloud - it will last much longer.... unlimited storage and instant labeling in real player format.... Add a Bruton charger and wow.... - well nevermind.

But hey, its your opinion....
    I wasn't insinuating anything negative. I just personally won't be bringing my smartphone on my thru and don't want to be tied to a charger or an outlet waiting for it to recharge. That is why I am going with the battery operated option.

Journal Entries
    Images

I didn't say you were, its a word choice... You said poor battery life... it's lithium on a 4 0z platform... a few members here are working on a solar option that really works.

My biggest lament is carrying 4 separate items for entertainment. One is a camera. In the past I have had a Sony voice recorder on a single AAA and it wasn't worth the $99 I spent on it. FYI most MP3' players will record to audio provided you don't fill it up with music.

Woo

++ New Posts ++