Images

Default Florida Trail Buckman to Gold Head

Looking for info on this stretch of the FT. Trying to setup a 4 day 3 night hike. I have hiked out to Rice and Iron Bridge but would like to do the entire stretch has any of you hiked it and any info on it like is it a good hike.

Thanks
    If you can’t fix it with duct tape or a beer; it ain’t worth fixing

Images

I've only hiked the Florida Trail inside the bounds of Gold Head Branch State Park (if that's the Gold Head you're referring to), but I'll share my experience if it means it might help you.

Starting near the main entrance of the park: my experience there was pleasant - starts out as pine flat, then the flora changes as the trail travels down into a sink, so it makes for some fun ups-and-downs. The temperatures are quite a bit cooler in the sink, so if you're heading out in the fall, be prepared for it. There's a wonderful water source at the bottom that runs underneath a copse of trees, exposing the roots. Crystal clear and sandy bottom. It's not a blazed trail to this source, so just listen for the sounds of running water and follow it down (steep!).

After that, the trail levels out and widens. There is a campsite down an off-shoot trail. There were many signs of ATV use once I reached that point.

All in all, the water was plentiful, the trail led through several unique ecosystems and it was fun to hike from a geological standpoint. I say go for it; you'll have a good time. Just make sure you bring your bug spray!

++ New Posts ++