WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Approach Trail and Len Foote Inn Request

I am beginning my thru in March. My idea is to hike to the Inn with the wife and fiinish the approach the next day. My son would then pick her up at the Trailhead. Has anyone had experience with the Inn and if so would you recommend the idea. If anyone has any other suggestions, I would be interested in them.

Thanks,

The Inn is great, pricey by hiker standards, and don't go without a reservation. Sounds like a good idea to me.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    Sounds like a good idea to me.
    I agree. My wife and I hope to go back some day to Amicalola, just to stay at the Hike Inn. Good idea.

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Images

I LOVE the Len Foote Hike Inn. I have stayed there numerous time. I'm actually hiking the Hike Inn Loop at Amicalola State Park this weekend just
    to drop in say hi to some of the people who work there! I have some pics of the Hike Inn on my FB page if you want to look at them!

Images

I know several that have stayed there and have only heard good things. It is a green inn the rooms are small with bunk beds last I heard $99.00 per person. The bathroom is down the hall none in the rooms. They serve food family style and preach "Take what you eat and eat what you take". If you leave any food on the plate they weigh it and inform you on how much food you wasted. No electronics are allowed, no cell phones, no radios, etc. You can buy a lunch to take with you when you leave I was told they make a peanut butter and jelly on thickly sized homemade bread and a cookie both huge. It is a 5 mile hike into the inn and then of course 5 miles back to the car. As you can tell I got the full story of one of my friends that stayed there. The only reason I haven't too cheap.
    If you can’t fix it with duct tape or a beer; it ain’t worth fixing

Images

I stayed at the Inn for a week this year and loved it. The food and service is great too. I also will be taking the approach trail in March and have made reservations at the cabins below the falls but will be having breakfast at Len Foote before I leave.

Images

Is what I was told above pretty accurate? I have never heard a bad review of the place.
    If you can’t fix it with duct tape or a beer; it ain’t worth fixing

Thanks for the comments. I will be making reservations tomorrow. I will stay at the lodge at the bottom of the falls the night before. Thanks again

Swamprat

Images

I go there often - the place is great and green as everyone else has said. DO NOT miss out on eating one of their "Amicalicious Cookies" under any circumstances - YUMMY! I think it's a nice way to include your loved ones into the very beginning of your trail experience instead of just dropping you off! Have a good time and a good hike and make reservations without delay!

Quote Originally Posted by Skinose View Post
    I am beginning my thru in March. My idea is to hike to the Inn with the wife and fiinish the approach the next day. My son would then pick her up at the Trailhead. Has anyone had experience with the Inn and if so would you recommend the idea. If anyone has any other suggestions, I would be interested in them.

Thanks,
    I've posted several times about hitting the Len Foote Inn on Day 0 of a thru. I would prob stop at Hawk on Day 1. Not sure I can convince the wife to hike out to LFI, as that is kinda far for her. They will wake folks up if there is to be a nice sunrise. Breakfast follows. I wouldn't sign up for the sack lunch the day (carry out). It's a bit bulky with a lot of waste. Do grab a couple cookies though, they are the bomb. Maybe you could convince them to just give you a sandwich without the bag.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Images

Thanks for the comments. I will be making reservations tomorrow. I will stay at the lodge at the bottom of the falls the night before. Thanks again

Swamprat
    Lodge is at the top of the falls!

Quote Originally Posted by Sierra Echo View Post
    Lodge is at the top of the falls!
    there must be a few of the small cottages at the bottom also. I think they offer some at the top and bottom. Thanks again for the info !!!!

Cottage 1, 1 Bedroom, 1 Bath, Bottom of Falls
    1) 1 bedroom: 2 double beds, sleeps 4
    2) 1 bathroom

Also includes: Grill, Firering, Showers, Fully Equipped Kitchen, Linens, Microwaves, Iron and Ironing Board, Hair dryers, Can openers, Dish soap and toasters. NO TV, PHONE, OR DISHWASHER

Images

there must be a few of the small cottages at the bottom also. I think they offer some at the top and bottom. Thanks again for the info !!!!

Cottage 1, 1 Bedroom, 1 Bath, Bottom of Falls
    1) 1 bedroom: 2 double beds, sleeps 4
    2) 1 bathroom

Also includes: Grill, Firering, Showers, Fully Equipped Kitchen, Linens, Microwaves, Iron and Ironing Board, Hair dryers, Can openers, Dish soap and toasters. NO TV, PHONE, OR DISHWASHER
    There are a few cottages at the bottom of the falls, but there is a huge difference between those and the 55 room lodge.

Thanks echo for clarifying that. I will look into one of the rooms. Swamprat

++ New Posts ++