WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Recommended tent for thru?

Hello all,

I am excited to say that I am officially gearing up for my first thru this spring. My next purchase will be a tent. I am looking for suggestions from other thru-hikers of what they have used. I am looking for a full solo tent with a floor and a vestibule for gear? Also, in the "inexpensive" range. A short description would be great!

Thanks for the help!!!

Images

B-Rabbit, welcome to Whiteblaze!

Tenting choices are endless. A good go to tent would be the MSR hubba. It was popular during my through. A good rugged tent for cheap. And it has everything you're looking for.

Good luck!
    skinny d

MSR Hubba........

MSR Hubba is an excellent choice also look at the Big Agnes Copper Spur UL 1 I have both the Hubba Hubba and the UL 2 and they are equally great.
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

Quote Originally Posted by atmilkman View Post
    MSR Hubba is an excellent choice also look at the Big Agnes Copper Spur UL 1 I have both the Hubba Hubba and the UL 2 and they are equally great.
    The ll bean microlight solo worked for me and pretty cheap at 130.00

you will see many of the Hubbas on the trail as well as alot of tarptents. when the inevitable poster shows up to talk about their hammock, remind them that you specifically asked about tents. The tarptent double rainbow was the tent I carried and was happy with it.

Journal Entries

got a sol copper spur ul1, the best... but costly.

Quote Originally Posted by ekeverette View Post
    got a sol copper spur ul1, the best... but costly.
    REI has it for 262 bucks down from 350 not a bad deal
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

have not thru-hiked, but am also gearing for mine next spring. Bought a BA UL2 and so far trying it out with short backpacking trips it has been great. Got it a hundred dollars off on ebay. Just need to commit to a sleeping bag and mat.
    Pollen

Might check out the lightheart tents, http://www.lightheartgear.com/ - nice design and light. Handmade by a hiker.
    "The Ordinary Adventurer"
    http://www.FunFreedom.com

Images

Sierra designs lightyear.

Quote Originally Posted by Jan LiteShoe View Post
    Might check out the lightheart tents, http://www.lightheartgear.com/ - nice design and light. Handmade by a hiker.
    +1 on that. No more expensive than a Hubba and half the weight. Handmade by a former thru-hiker. What more could you ask for.

Images

Pssssstt get a hubba!

Hike smarter, not harder.

This being WB, it has to be a Hubba. And a Thermarest Pro-lite or Neo. And a Pocket Rocket. And a Campmor down bag. Oh yeah, and an Osprey pack. Anything else, you're not gonna fit in.
    Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe - Thomas Sowell

Images

Quote Originally Posted by skinewmexico View Post
    This being WB, it has to be a Hubba. And a Thermarest Pro-lite or Neo. And a Pocket Rocket. And a Campmor down bag. Oh yeah, and an Osprey pack. Anything else, you're not gonna fit in.
    Guess I dont fit in cause I aint got none of that gear.
    skinny d

Check out the tarptents at http://tarptent.com/allproducts.html. The Contrail, Moment, Rainbow, or Squall 2 are all popular and at most weigh just a smidge over 2 pounds. I've got the Squall 2 which has plenty of room and has been great so far.
    The mountains are calling and I must go.
    - John Muir

http://postholer.com/revlee

NBHiker

Hiked from GA to NY this summer with a Lightheart solo and loved it. Slept in it almost every night. http://www.lightheartgear.com/

You guys are awesome! So far I think I like the MSR the best for reviews vs price. Is the footprint worth buying or will a simple piece of tyvek do the trick? Not looking to "fit in" with anyone based on gear but im guessing the popular choices are popular for a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by skinewmexico View Post
    I'm curious. In your jab at the WB "conventional wisdom", you left out foot wear. What's the unofficial WB shoe/boot these days?

Hike smarter, not harder.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Toad View Post
    I'm curious. In your jab at the WB "conventional wisdom", you left out foot wear. What's the unofficial WB shoe/boot these days?
    That one is harder, but it would have to be some kind of boot, not a trail runner. I was being sarcastic, but only a little.
    Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe - Thomas Sowell

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++