WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

In another thread about Scott Lilly's death someone asked if this was being talked about or covered in the South Bend area. I was on the Notre Dame campus this past weekend and we met up with someone who works with my husband and his wife. As we chatted about our various interests, I mentioned hiking the AT. The wife strongly warned me about hiking alone and asked if I had heard about the hiker who was killed. They know Scott's mother. The husband's brother is a minister and has been involved in comforting the family. Very sad.

I hope the authorities can solve this case and the person(s) who are responsible be brought to justice.
    Trillium

Registered User SawnieRobertson's Avatar
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Trillium View Post
    In another thread about Scott Lilly's death someone asked if this was being talked about or covered in the South Bend area. I was on the Notre Dame campus this past weekend and we met up with someone who works with my husband and his wife. As we chatted about our various interests, I mentioned hiking the AT. The wife strongly warned me about hiking alone and asked if I had heard about the hiker who was killed. They know Scott's mother. The husband's brother is a minister and has been involved in comforting the family. Very sad.

I hope the authorities can solve this case and the person(s) who are responsible be brought to justice.
    Trillium, thanks for this report. Once more I get the feeling that the sub-mystery is what the FBI and all others who are privy to the sad details have chosen not to tell us. One thing that is made clear from your post is that at least those so privileged do believe that, if Scott had been wherever he was with a partner, he might be with us today.
    His family and friends must be going through additional sadness to think that this could have been prevented so easily in that case. Those who met him on the trail certainly found him a compatable sort of person. It is a tragedy for him, his family, his friends, and the AT.--Sawnie
    You never know just what you can do until you realize you absolutely have to do it.
    --Salaun

Quote Originally Posted by Trillium View Post

There has been very little coverage outside of the initial story about Scott's death in the local papers, in fact there has been more info on this site. It is a truly sad situation for his family, hopefully the case will be solved quickly.
    "You have brains in your head/You have feet in your shoes/You can steer yourself in any direction you choose." - Dr. Seuss

I am pretty sure that I am one of the people that the FBI has indicated is a person of interest. They said that they are looking for a Mr. Coffee. I go by the trailname CoffeeMate and have already spent a long time with the FBI going over whatever information I could assist with. I never met Scott Lilly but believe that he was a few days ahead of me based on the shelter logs. I also never came in contact with Papa Smurf although I had heard reports of one person in the area who was bumming food off of people.

About two days walk South in the town of Glasgow there is a shelter that was built by the town for hikers. There was a note left there by a person who indicated that he was homeless and landed on hard times and had been helped out by hikers a lot. He was warning about another person who had attempted to rob hikers using weapons. I never met anybody in the Glasgow shelter so can't really say more about it. I did pass this information on to the FBI though.

I am a pretty frequent section hiker of the trail and was amazed at how few people there were hiking. The last three days of my hike to Leesburg I did not see anybody!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by 4Bears View Post
    There has been very little coverage outside of the initial story about Scott's death in the local papers, in fact there has been more info on this site. It is a truly sad situation for his family, hopefully the case will be solved quickly.
    All the stories that come back from a google news search on "scott lilly" are based on the FBI press release.

Images

for what it was worth, i left a note about the fbi release in the dicks dome shelter log (near Ashby Gap) on sunday 25th sep, I'll leave another in the ed garvey shelter, MD, this weekend. Rather than speculating ourselves in the shelter logs, I'd suggest printing the FBI release yourselves and adding it to a shelter log if you are able all along the AT
    "Trees are my temples and Forests my cathederals" - Mikhail Gorbachev

I guess this is comforting.......

FBI representatives have said they do not have information that would lead them to believe other hikers would be targeted. They have advised hikers to take the same common-sense precautions against crime as they would any other time.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

I....guess....

Here is a link to the latest news. The autopsy indicated suffocation as the cause of death.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...TTOgYb1oi6TcsQ

Quote Originally Posted by jeramie75 View Post
    Any news on this? I too find it odd that the flow of info has seemingly stopped. Did authorities ever find "papasmurf"?
    I was hiking north out of the Eckville, PA shelter the morning of July 19th (2011), and distinctly remember running into Papa Smurf (aka Teardrop). He definitely wasn't in VA at the time of Stonewall's death.
    www.postholer.com/Turtle Feet
    Follow me as I crawl the A.T.
    Life is an adventure or nothing at all ~ Hellen Keller

I thought they caught some one in the case.

I was wondering about this case recently too. Anyone have any current info on this?

Quote Originally Posted by RED-DOG View Post
    I thought they caught some one in the case.
    I haven't seen anything to that effect Red-Dog, please post it here though if you find out for sure - I know we'd all love to know.
    www.postholer.com/Turtle Feet
    Follow me as I crawl the A.T.
    Life is an adventure or nothing at all ~ Hellen Keller

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Turtle Feet View Post
    I haven't seen anything to that effect Red-Dog, please post it here though if you find out for sure - I know we'd all love to know.
    No one has been arrested.

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    No one has been arrested.
    Tragic. Scott was very kind to our teen boys when we were with him on the trail.

Was thinking about this case today. Anything?

Quote Originally Posted by dot View Post
    Was thinking about this case today. Anything?
    Not that I know....

DEAD - 3 years - no resolution...

Scott was found dead in 2011. Was nothing new found this hiking season????

This is tragic, I hope they find the killer soon.

in the scope of human events, it can be. Argued that this is one man... I would agree. This is however, our community and I hope that somehow this thread could contribute to finding the truth of what happened.

i imagine that would be some kind of comfort to the family, my condolences to them if any should read here.
    Want a 'Hike Your Own Hike' sticker?... => send me a message <=

Favorite quote;
    Quote Originally Posted by sailsET View Post
    My guess is that you are terribly lost, and have no idea how to the use the internet.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++