WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Sawyer 3-Way Inline Water Filter

Anyone have any experience with this specifically? Had been using iodine tablets but got tired of them and bought a Sweetwater filter. It broke the second trip out. Saw this online and it looks like a GREAT solution.

http://www.rei.com/product/801824/sa...e-water-filter

Images

I have a katadin hiker pro!

I'm considering a Sawyer Squeeze. At only 3 oz, and no moving parts, no pump to fail; you fill a bag, connect it to the filter and squeeze it to force through the filter to your use bottle; it seems like the simplest. With a 0.1 micron rating, you souldn't need any chemicals.
    At 3 oz, about the same weight as the aqua-mira chemicals.

Images

I'm curious how easy it would be to field clean. The reviews of it talk about flushing it at home specifically...

Images

http://www.botaofboulder.com/water-f...on-system-22oz

I really like my Bota I put my katahdyn hiker pro away to much work and heavy this is great I just fill it up and squeeze the water into my bladder or cook pot.
    Last edited by Ladytrekker; 09-10-2011 at 09:42.
    If you can’t fix it with duct tape or a beer; it ain’t worth fixing

Quote Originally Posted by RWheeler View Post
    I'm curious how easy it would be to field clean. The reviews of it talk about flushing it at home specifically...
    I've been reading about this one too, but have yet to buy. This video shows how to field backwash.

http://soldiersystems.net/2011/08/19...queeze-filter/

Also, there is this discussion about using an adapter to the clean side of the filter can flow directly into another bag. You can then use remove the dirty bag and squeeze the clean water back through the filter so you don't need the syringe. Also the system works as a gravity filter in addition to a squeeze filter.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-...to_post=432199

Images

I bought this at the beginning of the summer, however I've always just either not treated or used aqua mira to avoid any possible hassle. If I do use it I'll let you know!

[QUOTE=EJC;1198851]I bought this at the beginning of the summer, however I've always just either not treated or used aqua mira to avoid any possible hassle. If I do use it I'll let you know![QUOTE]

Mixing the two chemicals in a little cap and waiting 5 minutes for them to react seems like more of a hassle than squeezing a bag.
    "If you don't know where you're going...any road will get you there."
    "He who's not busy living is busy dying"

Images

Nah, they take seconds to mix and I usually let them sit while I fill my bladder. It's the hassle of having to cut my hydration tubing to install this (maybe makes a leak?), plus the fact filters can freeze, clog, crack, etc.

Purchased the filter this evening and after sink testing I'm pleased. While I did have to cut my bladder tubing, it seems to pretty leak proof and in fact the design of the filter ends prevented me from removing the tubing I had plugged it into initially. If you get this, don't hook it up anywhere other than where you want the filter! I ended up cutting it a bit to get it off and then hooking it up to its final resting place. So far, so good. Should be relatively easy to use as a gravity filter at camp too.

Images

Any suggestions on where to put the filter so that it doesn't snag or interefere with the way you pack (low, high, middle?)

ain' nuthin' butta' peanut hambone5126's Avatar
    Images

ive been wondering about some kind of inline filter setup on my bag. i like the idea, but it does raise one question. what if i want to filter water into another container? i guess you would just squeeze from your bag into the other container?
    It is not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves.
    -Sir Edmund Hillary

Where would be the best place for the inline filter? I would think on the exterior of the pack so you could take advantage of being able to unplug and drink from a stream function. Anyone?

I have been considering this system too. I have been using a gravity system (the ULA system they don't make anymore). With that, I just keep the filter in an outer pack pocket. At a water source, I fill the bag and let it drip in my clean water containers. Only takes a few minutes and no work (technically work is done: W=Fxd, but gravity provides the F). However this system is not designed for the drink from stream function.

With an in-line system, my plan would be to use a 2 or 3 L hydration bag as a dirty reservoir. Many long distance hikers carry one of these either for dry camping or hydration while walking. It would work the same way, just that this bag is reserved for unfiltered water only. You can still drink from the bag if you hook up the filter to the drinking tube. I prefer to drink from bottles, so I would fill the bottles from the reservoir as needed. With this system (unlike the ULA) i would have the option of carrying dirty water in the reservoir and also squeezing the reservoir to force the water through the filter (although gravity should work too).

I would also want to get some quick disconnects. I wouldn't want to have the filter attached to the dirty reservoir when filling, so I would want to be able to connect and disconnect the filter tube quickly. You wold also want to be able to disconnect so you can easily put it someplace warm on nights when it might freeze. You would also want to be able to disconnect the filter to back flush. If you have a flexible drinking bottle for clean water (1 L Platypus, etc..), you can squeeze clean water backwards through the filter to clean the filter.

At least that's the plan.

With this system how would you get the water from the "dirty" reservoir to your other drinking bottle? Also, I wonder how much suction is needed while using the inline?

I've been using the sawyer 3 since Waynsboro VA and am lookintg to finish the AT in a couple of weeks. I've used it as a gravity filter and when Jen took a week off to rest her foot I started using it inline. It absolutely gets my thumbs up.

Inline there is some resistance, drinking with it feels like when I would get down toward the bottom of my camelbak normally.

Journal Entries

Katadin Hiker Pro

Billie Blazes

has anyone had any experience backwashing the 3-way in the field? just got mine today and set it up. pretty sweet system, very lightweight.

also, does anyone know what the 2 male ends attached by a short black tube are for?

The short length of tube with 2 male adapters is only used for the third way of filtering in your 3-way filter. It allows you to connect the back-flushing hose to the female end of the filter so that you can filter tap water.

As for back flushing in the field If you're using it in a gravity filter setup just flip things over like you would with the platypus gravity filter.

If you're using it inline switch from suck to blow.

Backing Back into Backpacking
    Images

I'm a big fan of the Sawyer system. I don't use it inline, I have a "dirty" bag that I filter into whatever I want the clean water to go to. With a 3 liter capacity, it makes a pretty good camp bag but I usually hike in a group. You would save some weight by ditching the "dirty" bag. Those things can go a LONG time before they have to be flushed (especially if you pre-filter with a bandana or something) If you were doing a long distance hike just bounce it ahead and flush it while in town. I have used it 5 days without flushing with no degrading of water flow (again I prefilter if it is pretty mucky) a great system. If you are hiking cold weather, I put the filter in a ziplock and sleep with it so it doesn't freeze at night.
    The key to success in achieving a goal is focusing not on how far you have to go, but rather how far you have come.

“I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me” Phil 4:13

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++