I'm making my first trip to GSMNP at the end of October and I'm trying to put together an itinerary of locations and best times, etc. I'll be staying Townsend and am interested in Cades Cove but it looks like I'm going to be very tempted to explore other places also. Here's what I have put together so far and I'd appreciate your suggestions or critique based on your own experience and knowledge:
- Just past Hyatt in Cades Cove
- Foothills Parkway West
- Look Rock pull-off on the Foothills Parkway West. It's off of 321 just a few miles west of Townsend.
- Clingmans Dome/ Oconaluftee Valley overlook
- Traveling from G'burg to Cherokee, it's the first overlook past the halfway point. It isn't marked with a sign, but it's a large, paved parking lot.
- Methodist Church on Rich Mountain Rd
- middle prong of the Little Pigeon River/Little River Rd/Tremont Area
- Little Greenbriar School
- You won't see this on many maps. It's on the road to Wears Cove that branches off Little River Road. It's an old schoolhouse in a small clearing in the woods, flanked by an old, rustic cemetery. Shoot in slightly overcast conditions, preferably at midday.
- Clingman’s Dome