WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Birdwatcher question

Does anyone have an idea as to what bird I saw but mostly heard. Looked to be about the size of a cardinal. I'm pretty sure it was a migratory species. Ther were lots of them along chattahoochee river in hardwood forest. They always stayed in the very top of trees. Had a very distinct call. It was like a rapid tapping. Sort of a rapid cluck sound. I could only catch very short glimpses of bird. It may of had white or lite gray on wings where a planes wing flaps would be. The woods were full of them last wk,now they seem to have moved on. I realize this is a rather vague description. Thanks

Journal Entries
    Images

http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Bicknells_Thrush/idy

there are a few others that fit - ask Emerald
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Default What was their primary color

Quote Originally Posted by jeremiah j View Post
    Does anyone have an idea as to what bird I saw but mostly heard. Looked to be about the size of a cardinal. I'm pretty sure it was a migratory species. Ther were lots of them along chattahoochee river in hardwood forest. They always stayed in the very top of trees. Had a very distinct call. It was like a rapid tapping. Sort of a rapid cluck sound. I could only catch very short glimpses of bird. It may of had white or lite gray on wings where a planes wing flaps would be. The woods were full of them last wk,now they seem to have moved on. I realize this is a rather vague description. Thanks
    I was going to guess "grackle" until I got to your last sentence about the "white or lite gray." From a distance, grackle's look black. You didn't mention their primary color.

When I see a bird I can't identify, I go to http://www.whatbird.com. By answering a series of questions, you can narrow the choices down to a few, then look at the pictures.

Shutterbug

Thanks, whatbird site is good. Haven't found it yet. Have eliminated a few. Positive not a grackle.

From whatbird it may have been a downy woodpecker. Call sounds very similar and size etc. The woods were full of them last week. I'm sure it had to be a migratory species. Did not hear this bird during summer. But, do downy woodpeckers migrate thru Ga? I thought they were a full yr resident. Whatbird is an interesting site. Went thru a lot of their stuff & other possibilities did not match call.--Thanks

++ New Posts ++