WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Kookork View Post
    Just for my knowledge : was there a tree or limb of it accessible right there to jump on it and stay safe?
    Lots of trees around, but all were old growth trees with first limbs well above reach. I thought about using my trekings poles to poke at her but remembered that they had rubber tips. Since then I removed the tips. Almost had to use them when approached by a yapping Yorkshire Terrier at a road crossing in VA.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by rmitchell View Post
    Lots of trees around, but all were old growth trees with first limbs well above reach. I thought about using my trekings poles to poke at her but remembered that they had rubber tips. Since then I removed the tips. Almost had to use them when approached by a yapping Yorkshire Terrier at a road crossing in VA.
    The point I am trying to convay is that for people who think they jump on a tree or hang on a branch to escape the attack it is not practical in many forests. The trees are mostly too tall to hang on the first branches but my suggestion need no tree . The attck if happen is very fast, sometimes too fast to find any other option other than what i said

Images

Quote Originally Posted by rmitchell View Post
    The most findable piece of equipment left on trails I think is Trekking Pole rubber tips.

Default wild boar culling

I was charged (maybe mock charged) at Tremont in March of this year. A very large boar in the middle of the trail. It was virtually sheer face on both sides of the trail and no trees worth climbing. I won't regurgitate what I reported then but would like to add an incident that happened just last week on 10/23. My wife and I were picnicking on the river at the trail head in Tremont when I heard a gun shot. Probably the first shot I have heard in the park in 40 years. The rangers had trapped and killed a wild boar It took shots); the whole affair was just 20 yards behine us. This one is a bit smaller that the one I encountered in March but it is within 2 miles of that incident. The cage in the back of the truck was for something else._MG_7930.jpg_MG_7931.jpg_MG_7946.jpg

Images

Quote Originally Posted by colonel r View Post
    I was charged (maybe mock charged) at Tremont in March of this year. A very large boar in the middle of the trail. It was virtually sheer face on both sides of the trail and no trees worth climbing. I won't regurgitate what I reported then but would like to add an incident that happened just last week on 10/23. My wife and I were picnicking on the river at the trail head in Tremont when I heard a gun shot. Probably the first shot I have heard in the park in 40 years. The rangers had trapped and killed a wild boar It took shots); the whole affair was just 20 yards behine us. This one is a bit smaller that the one I encountered in March but it is within 2 miles of that incident. The cage in the back of the truck was for something else._MG_7930.jpg_MG_7931.jpg_MG_7946.jpg
    Thank You. so charging while on Trail is a remote possibility not non existant.I am from a country that we call a wild boar average if less than 300 pounds. here they are smaller but they can sometimes get huge and aggressive accordingly

I think Tipi Walter has the right approach. The pig grunts, you grunt back, pig leaves. My dog misbehaves, I growl, and she freezes. A bear gets too close, I roar, the bear takes off. My neighbor's dog runs like hell when I do my bear imitation. And if the bear doesn't back down, I like the paleo approach with the trekking poles, as mentioned before.

Images

Tipi Walter has seen more wild boars than all of us put together - remember, that guy LIVES in an actual Tipi in Telico Plains, NC part time and backpacks nearly full time in Joyce Kilmer / Citico Creek Wilderness - I mean every time I hike in that place (winter, spring, summer, fall), he's there (with the boars). He's a "gear tester" by profession.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by rsmout View Post
    I think Tipi Walter has the right approach. The pig grunts, you grunt back, pig leaves. My dog misbehaves, I growl, and she freezes. A bear gets too close, I roar, the bear takes off. My neighbor's dog runs like hell when I do my bear imitation. And if the bear doesn't back down, I like the paleo approach with the trekking poles, as mentioned before.

This is wonderfull you roar back and for years thereafter - they will be looking for Bigfoot - with boots.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

If you are hundred percent sure that you will never be attacked by a mother Wild boar protecting her piglets while on any trail then this thread has nothing for you but with increasing population of wild boars in many states of the USA someday it may happen to some hikers and I would be delighted to find out that reading this thread has helped somebody from an injury that could be quite serious in some cases.

Years before when I was stitching up a badly injured farmer from a wild boar attack back home I ask him what happened and he said “ She just came out of nowhere with her piglets and attacked me”. I asked so why you did not make a move to get out of her way when she attacked you?

He started to think for awhile and then nodded his head in despair and simply said: I don’t know.

What do you do if you find a car is charging toward you ? do you standstill ?
    No you just jump left or right to give the car the space to pass. Do the same to a wild boar charging toward you. The difference is critical though.

You can jump out of the way a car at any moment but with a raging wild boar it should be at last moment. Just like a Spanish matador which moves his flag at the last possible moment.

I have seen a group of wild dogs avoided the wild boar Tusks for about an hour to catch some of her piglets and If you ask Wild boar hunters they do the same.

The worst thing is keeping your ground. Mother Wild boar when charging very rarely changes her mind at the last moment. They normally attack once to break the situation but even if they turn back to another attack the rules are the same, empty the ground in the last safe possible moment.

Please do not put yourself in a group that when asked why you did not move you nod your head and say: I just don’t know.
    I have never been attacked by a wild boar, but I had a javelina run right at me. I was hiking in Arizona and rounded a curve in the trail. A javelina was sleeping in the middle of the trail. He was as startled as I was, jumped up an ran directly toward me. All I could do was hold my hiking pole like it was a lance. The javelina turned to the side just before he reached me and ran into the woods.

The experience is relevant because it demonstrated:

1) There wasn't enough time to climb a tree.
    2) There wasn't enough time to reach for pepper spray. (I don't carry it anyway.)
    3) There wasn't even enough time for me to raise and focus my camera, which was in my hand.

The only defense I had was my hiking pole.

It is possible that a hiking pole jammed into the eye of a boar might stop an attack. If not, a hiker would be in a lot trouble.
    Shutterbug

Images

There was a technical/cultural problem since I started this thread. When I talk about wild boar attack ,It automatically reminds me wild boars of Iran which are huge( Iran is a soutern neighbour to Russia) .i mean average about 250 pounds or more. It is not uncommon to hunt 350+ boars there. When they reach to that size, they are strong and their tusks are long. There is no chance in the world you even go for your trekking pole if you see those huge boars. Why you dont go for your trekk pole? It is the same like you decide to stop a car charging toward you by your pole, it just doesnot make sense.
    Here from what I see, we are talking about saller sizes like less than 150 pounds. So If you are talking about a smaller size then it is up to you.I will jump out of the way irrespect of the size, but if some want to use their pole it is a fair option in small size boar attacks. Jumping over tree as you mentioned is not a viableoption in many cases.

Grunting back to a wild boar as somebody mentiond earlier as an option, I never hard of it before but my experinc says it is not gonna change the mind of a boar .They have heard human voice before. It might make them stutter ,who knows.

So sze makes difference here. I was talking about 300+ ( that is my cultural bias you might say) and here we have normally minus 150 pounds on trails.

Default Boars in the U.S.

There was a technical/cultural problem since I started this thread. When I talk about wild boar attack ,It automatically reminds me wild boars of Iran which are huge( Iran is a soutern neighbour to Russia) .i mean average about 250 pounds or more. It is not uncommon to hunt 350+ boars there....
    You are right that there is a cultural difference. In the U.S., when you speak of a "boar" two different animals come to mind. In the east, one thinks of a feral pig. Some of them grow to a large size.

In the southwest, when you speak of a "boar" one usually thinks of a javelina, a different species. They have a reputation for being more aggressive toward humans than feral pigs.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Shutterbug

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post

This is wonderfull you roar back and for years thereafter - they will be looking for Bigfoot - with boots.
    Alleged, but never photographed!

Quote Originally Posted by Shutterbug View Post
    I have never been attacked by a wild boar, but I had a javelina run right at me. I was hiking in Arizona and rounded a curve in the trail. A javelina was sleeping in the middle of the trail. He was as startled as I was, jumped up an ran directly toward me. All I could do was hold my hiking pole like it was a lance. The javelina turned to the side just before he reached me and ran into the woods.

The experience is relevant because it demonstrated:

1) There wasn't enough time to climb a tree.
    2) There wasn't enough time to reach for pepper spray. (I don't carry it anyway.)
    3) There wasn't even enough time for me to raise and focus my camera, which was in my hand.

The only defense I had was my hiking pole.

It is possible that a hiking pole jammed into the eye of a boar might stop an attack. If not, a hiker would be in a lot trouble.

PALEO TECHNIQUE!!! It's why we're all still here, biologically speaking.

I had one encounter with a large solitary male boar in my local state park here in Florida, back in about 1994. The grass prairies in the park are burned on a three-year rotation and the area I was going through hadn't been burned lately. The grasses and sedges were over my head. I came around a bend and surprised him. He raised his hackles and pawed the ground. At the time, I was singing with a local chorale and we had been rehearsing a Brahms piece, Nanie, about heroes and how even heroes must die. There was a line about one hero, Adonis, the beloved of Aphrodite, who was goared by a wild boar. It sounds scarier in German. My first reaction to the tusker was to hear the music in my head and to think how romantic it would be to die this way. This was back before Leki poles were common and I was carrying a wooden staff. I don't know why, but I raised it and pounded it onto the ground. It was enough of a surprise that he took off in the other direction. True story!

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarfoot View Post
    I had one encounter with a large solitary male boar in my local state park here in Florida, back in about 1994. The grass prairies in the park are burned on a three-year rotation and the area I was going through hadn't been burned lately. The grasses and sedges were over my head. I came around a bend and surprised him. He raised his hackles and pawed the ground. At the time, I was singing with a local chorale and we had been rehearsing a Brahms piece, Nanie, about heroes and how even heroes must die. There was a line about one hero, Adonis, the beloved of Aphrodite, who was goared by a wild boar. It sounds scarier in German. My first reaction to the tusker was to hear the music in my head and to think how romantic it would be to die this way. This was back before Leki poles were common and I was carrying a wooden staff. I don't know why, but I raised it and pounded it onto the ground. It was enough of a surprise that he took off in the other direction. True story!
    In the 90's Myakka had more hogs than alligators, and I've never seen that many gators in one place as the southern run on the river. That's about the time they got serious about trapping them (the hogs that is).

The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Still plenty of hogs and gators, WingedMonkey! Hogs have a habit of increasing their litter size when the population is under hunting pressure. Only times I have ever been scared of critters while hiking have been in Myakka. Once, I nearly walked into a gator in May, when the smaller ones (this one was about seven feet) are chased out of their ponds by the larger ones. Hungry, horny, and homeless, he wasn't happy. I'm going to go out there tomorrow and hope to see nothing more vicious than a sandhill crane.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Shutterbug View Post
    javelina, a different species. They have a reputation for being more aggressive toward humans than feral pigs.
    They also stink to high heaven. You can often smell them before you see them.

Images

Wow, quite an experience.

When boars paw the ground It is the sign that they are estimating your power and reaction and aggression. It is body language against boy language. You gave him a sign that was alarming enough for him to get out of the way.

Still I am curious to know what would have been your reaction if he charged despite your efforts?

Finding a tree and jumping on it?
    Defending yourself with wooden stick?

or ....?

Images

Still plenty of hogs and gators, WingedMonkey! Hogs have a habit of increasing their litter size when the population is under hunting pressure. Only times I have ever been scared of critters while hiking have been in Myakka. Once, I nearly walked into a gator in May, when the smaller ones (this one was about seven feet) are chased out of their ponds by the larger ones. Hungry, horny, and homeless, he wasn't happy. I'm going to go out there tomorrow and hope to see nothing more vicious than a sandhill crane.
    Hungry,horney and homeless ,that is a good reciepie for serial rapists!!!!!!

porkchops an apple sauce.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++