WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Great ultra-light sleeping pad for $55!!!

I just thought I would share this for anyone in the market for a light weight sleeping pad. I ordered and received in the mail yesterday two new Alps Mountaineering ultra-light sleeping pads and I love them. They are made of ripstop nylon and are really light. They seem to be of excellent quality, however, I haven't had them out in the woods yet but I was very impressed with my initial response to them. The best part is that they were only $55 from backcountry, REI Outlet still has them in long but ran out of regular length so I had to order from backcountry but they're the same price on both.

http://m.backcountry.com/alps-mounta...:referralID=NA

Images

I have used Alps Gear before. Frankly I would not consider 1 lb 8 oz ultralight for a regular size pad. Currently I am looking at a Therm-a-Rest Neo XLite, which is 1" thicker than the Alps UL Air PAd. The XLite does cost 2x as much but is 1/3 the weight of the Alps, coming in at 8 oz.
    The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not "Eureka!" but "That's funny..." Isaac Asimov

Veni, Vidi, Velcro. I came, I saw, I stuck around.

Is this any better than US-made Thermarest Prolite Plus? Same size, same weight, known to be very durable (the thermarests, that is); thermarests in 2011 colors were on sale for a similar price a couple of months ago.

Images

Also, Alps says its guaranteed for life. As far as The Thermarest goes, I'm sure that's a very nice pad I thought hard about buying one myself but my wife needed a pad as well and I was able to get two Alps pads for the price of the Thermarest, I was happy with my decision and am very happy with the quality of the pad, it's very nice. I guess it just comes down to how much you're able to spend, for me I ordered online so I wasn't able to see any of them in person before buying. Thanks for the feedback!

Images

rodenne1, if it works for you, then it is a good choice!

I wasn't being critical, merely suggesting that there are lighter alternatives (but that is my priority, and need not be yours).
    The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not "Eureka!" but "That's funny..." Isaac Asimov

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo Skipper View Post
    I have used Alps Gear before. Frankly I would not consider 1 lb 8 oz ultralight for a regular size pad. Currently I am looking at a Therm-a-Rest Neo XLite, which is 1" thicker than the Alps UL Air PAd. The XLite does cost 2x as much but is 1/3 the weight of the Alps, coming in at 8 oz.

BuffaloS, no worries at all, I think Cascade designs make excellent equipment. Question though, this is my first piece of Alps equipment, we're you satisfied with the other Alps products you have used or owned?

Images

My son has a Clearwater 20° sleeping bag. Synthetic and very warm, but heavy and not compressable. For car camping it is a good bag for the money, but not a great choice for backpacking.

My scout troop uses Alps tents (Taurus). They are OK but do not stand up to abuse well. Poles snap too easily. But for the money, they keep the scouts dry. Several of our scout use Alps backpacks. Like the sleeping bag, it is bullet proof, but heavy. Our troop has purchased some Orizaba 3300 as loaners. They are well made, but heavy. I do like them though, because they are adjustable down to 26" waist and 13" torso, which usually fit our smallest boys.

I just got a thermarest 40th anniversary. same specs as the prolite, but a 1/2" more loft. I've used it a few times, and it is pretty comfortable. It's not UL, but it's niiiiice

oh, and also expensive. campmor had the regular for $99, which was $20 or so cheaper than everywhere else. It also comes with a stuff sack and repair kit, which the prolite does not.

++ New Posts ++