WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Default Roaring Fork Shelter

I beleive I read somewhere this shelter had been relocated from just south of Lemon Gap to about 1 mile north of Max Patch. Can anyone help me verify this information?
    Repeat

Quote Originally Posted by Repeat
    I beleive I read somewhere this shelter had been relocated from just south of Lemon Gap to about 1 mile north of Max Patch. Can anyone help me verify this information?
    Repeat
    This shelter is still in it's current location. Carolina Mountain Club is currently
    working on the new shelter and location at this time. Once complete the current
    shelter will be dismantled is my understanding.

Hope this answers your question.
    Happy Trails,
    Chip
    If we look at the path, we do not see the sky. We are earth people on a spiritual journey to the stars. Our quest, our earth walk is to look within, to know who we are, to see that we are connected to all things, that there is no separation, only in the mind.
    - Native American, source unknown

The 05 Data Book has it listed as 1 mile north of Max Patch summit.

Images

i stayed at roaring fork in july 2001 the most mice infested shelter on the trail

neo

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Chip
    This shelter is still in it's current location. Chip
    Where else would it be? Everything is in its current location.
    "If you don't know where you're going...any road will get you there."
    "He who's not busy living is busy dying"

Images

Default Roaring Fork Shelter

As of July 8th the shelter was still standing. Plagues identifying the shelter have been removed along with some benches. Shelter can still be used.
    Trailfinder

Images

Question Roaring Fork Shelters.... old and new

Can anyone tell me the status of the Roaring Fork Shelter(s)? I understand the new one was finished last week or so? Where is it? Distances from other shelters? Old one torn down yet?

My wife and I intend to hike from Standing Bear Farm to Hot Springs over the Thanksgiving holiday next week. Any info on the current Roaring Fork Shelter situation would be appreciated.

Rain Man
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

I attended the dedication of the new Roaring Brook shelter, Sunday Nov. 6th. I believe the old shelter was still standing, but not for long. The new shelter is about 3m from Lemon Gap and 2m from max patch rd. The old shelter was just too close to the road and became a place to party and trash. Many thanks to Howard McDonald and all the others whose efforts made it happen. The 05 Data book was a bit premature LW.

Images

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Nean
    I attended the dedication of the new Roaring Brook shelter, Sunday Nov. 6th. I believe the old shelter was still standing, but not for long. The new shelter is about 3m from Lemon Gap and 2m from max patch rd....
    Nean,

Did they change the name for the new shelter? From Roaring Fork to Roaring Brook? Just wondering.

Also, to make sure I understand where the new one is, can you tell me how far it is from the old one, and whether the new one is north or south from the old one?

Thanks!

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

This may be a repeat as my last reply went somewhere, neverland?

The new Roaring Branch hut still has the old name RMan. It's located just over 2m N of Max Batch Dr. and 2m S of old shelter and a bit more than 3m S of Lemmons Pass....if memory serves me.... If you look on the map, I believe its where Roaring Fork crosses the trail and is the shelter water source.

Default New Roaring Fork Shelter

Repeat,

I just returned from hiking North from I-40 to Hot Springs. Along the way I noticed the new Roaring Fork Shelter.

Like the old shelter it is well made of logs and a great water source. It is located about a mile North of Max Patch summit approximately 200 feet from the trail. The "Marching Mountain Mamas" built a smart design with metal covered shelf for food preparation and a metal edge protects the edge of the sleeping platform from wear. When I visited the fire pit was still under construction. It actually looks like a hearth carved into the hill side in front of the shelter so the fire's light and heat would reflect back into the shelter. Finally, I believe I saw a moldering privy there as well.

The old Roaring Fork Shelter is still up. The privy was still there. The brass plaque had been moved to the new shelter.

HughD

Thanks for the update HughD. Our maintainer superviser for the CMC, Howard McDonald, designed the shelter. Howard is an incredible force. It inspires me to see folks so dedicated to the trail. Bob Peoples is another we all know as hikers but there are so many more of this mold, behind the scenes, making it all happen. The Marching Mountian Mommas donated most of the money to the new old shelter, but it was built too close to the road. They donated some money for the new one as well. It wasn't their fault where the old one was built so the plaque was moved to honor their gift. Did you notice there is a basment you can sleep in under? I've seen lots of shelters and I think this one is really nice.

I did not see the basement. I was trying to beat the weather and get out of the mountains before the snow.

Images

Thumbs up Mistake on the ATC map

My wife and I stayed at the new Roaring Fork Shelter on Thanksgiving evening last week. Four mice made a nest in my backpack. It was hung on the wall during the night.

You should know that the location of the new shelter on the current ATC topo map is correct, BUT the location as marked on the profile "map" below the topo map is wrong. In other words, the same map shows two different locations for the same shelter.

Just FYI.

The new shelter is in a MUCH better location that the old one. THANKS to the hard working volunteers, including Howard McDonald, who made it possible!

RainMan

Last edited by Rain Man; 12-04-2005 at 23:20.

Default First time to area

Kinda new to this site, but I have enjoyed doing research on a few section hikes here.

We want to do a 2 night hike around Max Patch. So far, our plans are to start at 1-40 and first night at GroundHog Shelter and second night at Roaring Fork then back to Max Patch Road to pick up the dropped car.

Any thoughts on that plan? We are not a big fan of the double back...
    And, we are having some trouble getting accurate info on distances for each leg. Is there a better itinerary, any suggestions? Sounds like the new Roaring Fork shelter will be great, probably pretty crowded being so close to Max Patch.

Any ideas or help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Images

Default Max Patch

During the summer my friends and I backpacked from Davenport Gap to Hot Springs. Stayed at Groundhog Shelter, Roaring Fork Shelter, etc. What we did was to drive to Hot Springs, left our car and get a shuttle to Davenport Gap. I don't like backtracking either.
    Trailfinder

Images

Quote Originally Posted by escaper
    We want to do a 2 night hike around Max Patch. So far, our plans are to start at 1-40 and first night at GroundHog Shelter and second night at Roaring Fork then back to Max Patch Road to pick up the dropped car.

Any thoughts on that plan?
    The double-back from the new Roaring Fork Shelter to Max Patch Road won't be very far (less than 3 miles, I think), so that'll be a very short day.

BTW, there are very friendly mice in the new RF Shelter, so unzip all your pack pockets and hang your food.

RainMan

Anybody have a photo of the new shelter?

Images

Default Shelter Pic

Taken 12.31

Great Photo, Thanks

Veteran

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++