WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thanks for all the advise and experience. Still stuck around 210#. Started a morning paper route a few weeks ago and I love it but its not paying off weight wise yet. Snow it finally here for cross-country skiing and I've been out a couple of times, which is great, but I need to get out more. I agree with others that, at least in my case, I need to up the activity to get the weight down. I actually find it easier to reduce my food intake if I am more active, probably because of the psycological benefits of exercise as much as the physiological effects and extra calories burned.

Dang though, its amazing how few calories I can survive on when inactive.

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    Thanks for all the advise and experience. Still stuck around 210#. Started a morning paper route a few weeks ago and I love it but its not paying off weight wise yet. Snow it finally here for cross-country skiing and I've been out a couple of times, which is great, but I need to get out more. I agree with others that, at least in my case, I need to up the activity to get the weight down. I actually find it easier to reduce my food intake if I am more active, probably because of the psycological benefits of exercise as much as the physiological effects and extra calories burned.

Dang though, its amazing how few calories I can survive on when inactive.
    How tall are you? Oh, I've lost 4 lbs. Down to 216
    Don't Die Before You've Had A Chance To Live!

6 foot **** all. Mostly legs, and gut. Since 20 I've ranged 160 to 230, but I haven't seen much under 185 for the past 10 years. My waistline is consistently about 1" for every 5 pounds of body weight, 42" at the moment. If I get down to 180 it should be about 36, which would be much healthier I think. Everyone says 180 would be too thin but I know I could be 165.

Have you tried My Fitness Pal? Down load, make a plan,track your food intake as well as calories burned. This app. will tell you carb,fat,and protein in take. Great tool to help fine tune your weight loss. It gets easier the longer you use My Fitness Pal. Slow and steady wins the race

Thanks for the link.

Images

Through years of weight loss and fitness gains, its mostly about the meal plan.............tough discipline.

I workout pretty hard 5x per week, two days off, maybe one "splurge" day food-wise.

Read a book 2 years ago........author gave up all tips right up front.

EAT FOOD (Real food, not processed crapola, etc)
    NOT TOO MUCH
    MOSTLY FRUITS AND VEGETABLE

Images

lost 10lbs since Jan 2, 2012 (in about 5 weeks). Started my heavy lifting phase for the next 10 weeks and started increasing my protein intake (primarily in food but use some supplements during my actual lifiting days).

Here's the blog and video of the change so far:

http://watermonkey.net/2012/02/04/10...-0-to-5-weeks/

Journal Entries
    Images

I lost <20 lbs. and 3 inches of waistline since Thanksgiving. I will be leaving Springer 2/19 and feel much lighter and fitter. Wish me luck.

OB

Quote Originally Posted by Old Boots View Post
    I lost <20 lbs. and 3 inches of waistline since Thanksgiving. I will be leaving Springer 2/19 and feel much lighter and fitter. Wish me luck.

OB
    Well done, and enjoy your hike. Good luck.

Images

Down 19 lbs. since Jan. 1. Still 21 to go, one day at a time....

I'm afraid I will be giving WB up for lent. I will be starting a full-time job soon, my first since doing graduate studies, so I will have to get back into the swing of things. Section hiking only for me, but I am more of a section hiker anyway. In hind sight a thru would have been great, but so is family. I will see how much weight I can lose during lent. Scales still stuck at 214 or so. I wish everyone happy hiking and WBing while I'm gone. To all thru-hikers and section hikers and weekend hikers and virtual hikers starting and dreaming of hikes during Lent I wish you all the best.

To all service providers I wish you all a very prosperous and pleasant season.
    Tough times for everyone. Keep the faith.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Down 7 pounds since December 1st, but just as importantly I've increased my lean body mass and have my body fat down to ~12%. I've been working out with trainers 2x a week, but it wasn't until I really started to track my caloric intake that the weight started to come off. It's a lot of work, and I'm sore and tired most evenings, but that's what it takes at my age and working at a desk job. Now if my knees would just stop bothering me...
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Thanks for all the ideas.

I'm finally getting some traction by using the Weight Watcher calculator to count calories. I'm not going to the meetings but my sister is, and I find the calculator handy. In the new points plus system it basically counts calories, but it records then as points, about 35-45 calories per point. It also penalizes carbs and fats more than protien. I'm not sure why it is helping more than just counting calories but it is.

Learned something.

The deduct for fiber and I couldn't figure out why. It turns out that the grams of fiber on nutritional labels is included in the grams of carbohydrates, and does count towards the calories. Weird. I read up and some fibre, the soluble fibre, does provide some calories, about 1.5 to 2.5 grams. Anyhow, weight watchers seems to account for that.

How I am using a modified Points Plus system, at least initially.
    1. I used my target weight instead of my current weight, so I get 33 points not 41 points.
    2. I include points from fresh fruit and vegetables.
    3. I try not to use the extra 49 weekly points.
    4. I do allow myself activity points, at 1 point for every 100 calories of exercise.

Why I think it might help:
    1. Makes me think twice before snacking, and stop binging altogether.
    2. The daily points remaining helps me spread out my food intake.
    3. Develops better judgement of how hungry I 'feel' vs what my actual condition is.
    4. Develops better sense of what foods provide more fullness for the calories provided.

See how it goes.
    Weight this morning was 210.0 pounds.

just got diagnosed Celiac. . . so all my favorite foods (and drinks!) are out. . . It makes it easier not to snack. Many of my favorite lunches before were carb heavy, but not its mostly salad. Plus i've started swimming 3 days a week while i'm rehabbing my foot, and awaiting permission for more vigorous exercise. Overall score? Down 7 lbs since 2/20/12. best weight loss i've had since college!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
++ New Posts ++