WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

That sounds about right.

Quote Originally Posted by john gault View Post
    BTW JAK, this is the chart http://mizfitonline.com/2010/07/29/t...ng-guest-post/ I was talking about WRT zones and they're all dependent on your maximum HR. Problem with me is that I know my max HR is much higher than listed on the chart because I can maintain 170 -175 for a good bit of time. All this is pretty important in dertermining calories burned.
    Mine is about 185. My resting heart rate is under 50 when in shape. About 57 now. When in shape I can sustain 163 bpm for an hour. About 157 now. Hope to get 10k back under 40min, but its about 55 minutes right now, mostly due to my weight. I am 213 pounds. I should be 165 if at 10% body fat. 170 would be nice if I gained some upper body mass for paddling. Got to get in shape before I turn 50 in June. I want to be one of those skinny old running dudes.

Thursday Report
    213 pounds with 13 pounds to go for phase 1
    2100 kcal base
    walked for 600 kcal
    ran for 150 kcal
    shovelled for 350 kcal
    total exercise = 1100 kcal
    800 food - 3200 = 2400 kcal deficit for -0.7 pounds

Friday Plan
    2000 kcal base
    ski for 2000 kcal
    2000 food - 4000 = 2000 kcal deficit for -0.6 pounds
    500 breakfast, 500 lunch, 500 post ski, 500 supper
    each meal will be roughly 25g protien, 50g carb, 25g fat

4-6" snow on ground, but going up to 46degF today, with some drizzle. Need to ski early.

Journal Entries

Thirty pounds to lose by April - back to the gym today to unfreeze my membership!
    Nursing a torn ankle ligament(or tendon)..
    Any suggestions for good cardio whilst it hopefully heals would be welcome..
    Got 1200 miles to do April through June to summit Katahdin this year!
    Going back on a fruit and veg. diet with some lean protein
    And buckets of water!

Sorry to here about that ankle. Tough call. A rowing machine might work if you have access to one at your gym. A routine I like is to do 4000m at a slow aerobic pace, with 10 harder strokes every 1000m, for strengthening and to add some spice. You could go easy on that for your ankle, but strengthening might be good. A good workout is to do 2 or 3 sets of these 4k, with one minute of pushups in between. Lets you get off and rest your butt. 4000m takes about 20 minutes. Or do just the one 4000m set and follow it up with weight training and stretching.

Quote Originally Posted by sailsET View Post
    A calorie is just a measure of energy. The small calorie, or gram calorie, is 4.2 joules of energy. The large calorie (with a capital "C" or kilocal) is 4.2 kilojoules of energy. The male body uses about 2500 kilocalories per day. When we speak of dietary calories, we are speaking of kilocalories. Takes a lot of energy to keep these things running.
    I have no understanding of what you're saying, will have to read up on, just out of curiosity, because I've always heard calories burned per day, not kilocalories, especially 2500 kcals (2,500,000 cals) But I don't want to discuss it any longer on this thread, will look it up elsewhere, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    Mine is about 185. My resting heart rate is under 50 when in shape. About 57 now. When in shape I can sustain 163 bpm for an hour. About 157 now. Hope to get 10k back under 40min, but its about 55 minutes right now, mostly due to my weight. I am 213 pounds. I should be 165 if at 10% body fat. 170 would be nice if I gained some upper body mass for paddling. Got to get in shape before I turn 50 in June. I want to be one of those skinny old running dudes.
    Well, with as much as you talk about calories and stuff I should've known that you know your max HR. I don't even know; I've read different ways to find it, but really haven't, maybe I should, but it'd be more for curiosity, since I don't really count calories or anything....

Here is the most common procedure for measuring it.

Run 2 minutes at a pace you could maintain for about 8 minutes.
    Rest 1 minute
    Run 2 minutes at a pace you could maintain for about 6 minutes.
    Rest 1 minute
    Run 2 minutes at your mile pace, but really kick the last 200m, and keep going 'til you croak.

Obviously they recommend checking with your doctor first, and having an ambulance nearby. It's not that hard really, and you don't really have to go all out until the end, and it actually helps of you do the final kick on a hill. I usually spare myself a little pain, and just add 1, to get 185. Close enough for my purposes.

I don't like to test my max HR except when I am doing that sort of training anyway, which is typically once a year when you are already in good shape and peaking for some event or recent personal best. It doesn't really change though, even with training, but it does decline with age and consistent training can slow that down. It isn't really a measure of fitness though, but its decline can be a measure of lack of activity.

In theory, larger people have bigger and somewhat slower hearts. Smaller people have smaller and somewhat faster hearts. Better trained athletes tend to have bigger hearts, but not neccessarily faster hearts. Hearts usually aren't the most limiting factor in performance, but of course it can be for some people. For most people, with a healthy heart, the heart will keep up with whatever you throw at it. Its the lungs, or blood vessels, or muscles, or the brain that tends to limit things. At some point, the brain is limiting things for your own good. So you want to train and sometimes fool the brain, but you need to pick your battles, and consider whether something is really worth it. The damage is not usually to the heart though, unless it there is an underlying condition, which lets face it is not that uncommon, especially with age, and with obesity. We tend to be naturally more cautious with age though, which is probably healthy.

No guts no glory though. Good to push yourself and even take some risks now and then. It can even be healthy because it can make you feel good, and give you a physical and mental boost. The downside sucks though. You pays yer money ya takes yer chances. I like to run a hard mile once a year, but I prepare for it, and I won't really turn it loose unless there is a recent PR in the cards, or girls watching. :-)

Not that anyone should be all that impressed with a 6 minute mile, but I'll get there, and in my own mind I'll be a legend. lol

Journal Entries

Thanks for the advice 'JAK' - I tried a staionary bike today and it went well as long as I remember not to bend my foot.
    Now I have a new machine to try - the row machine
    Ankle support also helps a lot too

Good luck with that foot, and be careful, as they only issue two.

Get someone to show you proper technique on the rowing machine, preferably a rower. The secret is to keep the stroke rate slower than you would think, with the recovery taking at least twice as long as the drive. Also, the legs should do most of the work, and work independantly of the arms and back. So its drive with the legs holding back and arms static, then pull with the arms while rocking the back back slighty, then quickly shoot the arms back forward over the knees, and then the knees come up and the back rocks forward. All in a smooth continuous motion. Watch rowers on you tube.

Don't burn yourself trying to do personal best 2000m all the time. Build an aerobic base with 4000m at a pace you could maintain for an hour or more, but with some fartlek style "power 10" every 1000m or so, for strength. 2000m personal bests and 1000m personal bests will wear you down, like running too many 800m and miles and 3000m races. Also, better to develop good form before doing that. Plenty of time for the pain cave after you fall in love with it first.

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    All encouragement and discouragement and random weather reports or thread drift is welcome.
    What happened to last springs diet and exercise plan?

The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

I was bad today. I keep reading all these journals of Thru hikers and all they talk about is eating. Made me so hungry I had to have a burger.

--louis

I've been incorporating some of these things in my workouts and some of them are pretty tough; a very good combination of strength (including explosive strength, which many people don't work on), flexibility and working multiple body parts at one time -- a very good way to feel that heart pound. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzD9B...eature=related

Having chocolate macadamia nut cookies as I read this thinking about how fat and out of shape I am

I rode my bicycle to the bank today (first time in 2 mos.). Felt pretty good until I turned around into a steady 20+mph. headwind (my commuter has upright bars, so forget aerodynamics ).

My wife's at work. I'm laid off until March, benefits ran out because I took and "unauthorized time off" last year and didn't have enough weeks in to collect extended bennies.

This year I'm hoping to start a bicycle rental business (part time). A friend of mine who owns a shop is supplying the bikes (I will pay as the season goes on) and a free space on the bike path.

We'll see how that goes.

Maybe I'll do some limited landscaping - I'm not young anymore and would need to purchase another truck (I sold all my equipment several years ago).

Tomorrow I'm taking a long walk to talk things over with my Boss.

At least my BP is down below 130/80 - no work, no stress .

Thank God for my wife (and her job).
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Started last March and to this date have lost 60 pounds. I am shooting for 100 and have now picked up trail running. Went three miles today on a trail in Southern Ohio with snow on the ground and the temperature at 26. Looking forward to doing the White Mountains at the gol weight in June.

Fat people forcing the U.S. Coast Guard to revise capacity numbers for ferries and other boats, i.e. Tourist vessels, etc... http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-no...coast_gua.html

Fat passengers force Coast Guard to change Washington ferry capacities
    SEATTLE --

The collective weight gain of Americans is pushing the U.S. Coast Guard to change the passenger capacities of Washington state's ferries.

Under the old guidelines issued by the Coast Guard, the average person was thought to weigh between 140 and 160 pounds. But now the average American scales in at about 185 pounds.

That weight spike forced some recalculations. For example, the ferry Yakima's old passenger limit was 2,000 people. Now, it's 1,783.

State officials say passengers shouldn't see too many changes from the new capacity guidelines because boats rarely reach full capacity.

Still, Coast Guard Lt. Kirk Beckman told KOMO News the change is about safety. They don't want overloaded ferries to capsize.

A little more detailed report: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/12/21...pacity-change/

Fat people forcing the U.S. Coast Guard to revise capacity numbers for ferries and other boats, i.e. Tourist vessels, etc... http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-no...coast_gua.html

No surprise - safety first!

I used to have to wear XL clothing. Now I fit into LARGE in most brands, (and I haven't gotten thinner).

Clothing manufacturers are "super sizing" their patterns to match the steadily increasing obesity of the so-called "average" American.

It's a financially motivated deception which makes Americans feel as though we're not FAT (if you try something on in one brand that is, say, XL and it's too tight, you feel better about yourself if you can get into another brand that says L on the tag, but actually measures exactly the same, and you're more likely to buy the brand that strokes your ego, or "flatters" you.

Same deception has been going on for years in shoes - women's shoes. (Guys feel big and tough if they have big feet. It isn't the same with women - it means that they aren't feminine, or so we've been brainwashed to believe).
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    Clothing manufacturers are "super sizing" their patterns to match the steadily increasing obesity of the so-called "average" American.

It's a financially motivated deception which makes Americans feel as though we're not FAT (if you try something on in one brand that is, say, XL and it's too tight, you feel better about yourself if you can get into another brand that says L on the tag, but actually measures exactly the same, and you're more likely to buy the brand that strokes your ego, or "flatters" you.

Same deception has been going on for years in shoes - women's shoes. (Guys feel big and tough if they have big feet. It isn't the same with women - it means that they aren't feminine, or so we've been brainwashed to believe).
    If people fall for those tactics our problem isn't the companies making money off them; it's that those people make up the population. I hope they don't vote

If people fall for those tactics our problem isn't the companies making money off them; it's that those people make up the population. I hope they don't vote
    There's no "if", and they do. How do you think we got ourselves into this mess? Overconsumption, self-centeredness, and denial (not to mention lack of accountability).

Images

My experience, focus on the change NOT the end result.

Do the best that you can every day, week, month, etc.

If you adjust by 2% per week......that is a 104% change per year.

Have gone from 290 to 230lbs., obese and not fit at all......... to fit, flexible and getting firm.

Slow and steady wins this race.................on the AT lighter and fitter is tons better.

The AT is brutally tough..........get in the best shape you can and flow with the trail, don't fight it.

Originally Posted by sailsET
    A calorie is just a measure of energy. The small calorie, or gram calorie, is 4.2 joules of energy. The large calorie (with a capital "C" or kilocal) is 4.2 kilojoules of energy. The male body uses about 2500 kilocalories per day. When we speak of dietary calories, we are speaking of kilocalories. Takes a lot of energy to keep these things running.

I have no understanding of what you're saying, will have to read up on, just out of curiosity, because I've always heard calories burned per day, not kilocalories, especially 2500 kcals (2,500,000 cals) But I don't want to discuss it any longer on this thread, will look it up elsewhere, thanks....
    Here John, Wiki on Calorie... (for anyone else who might be interested). Sails ET's explanation was spot on, and more simple then Wiki's.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++