WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Report on tast-testing a Wise Company freeze-dried meal.

Hi...

A short time ago I asked Wise Company for a sample of their freeze-dried food. They sent me a pack of their four-serving (four cups) Chili Macaroni, which was 100% vegetarian. Calories per serving were listed as 250.Package weight was listed as 9.7 oz.

It could not be cooked in-pouch. Per directions, I poured it into four cups of boiling water, turned off the heat and let it sit for 15-minutes.

I thought that the texture, taste and mouth feel were slightly off...but a squirt of catsup improved the taste right away. (pause while going back for seconds).

On a scale of 1 to 10, I would rate it as a seven (after the catsup was added). I wouldn't hesitate to keep some on hand for emergencies, back-up meals, or BOB/trail food.

They also now have some foods that DO contain meat.

Journal Entries
    Images

Default W ise sample

Waiting on mine to come in.

They sent me the stroganoff, it tasted awesome. Compared to Mountain House, it's like comparing pop tarts to fresh home made apple pie.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Saprogenic View Post
    They sent me the stroganoff, it tasted awesome. Compared to Mountain House, it's like comparing pop tarts to fresh home made apple pie.
    Which one was the pop tart and which one was the home made apple pie? I have started trying the backpackers pantry foods and find them to be very tasty too.

++ New Posts ++