WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Jetboil vs Alcohol Stove

I have only used a Jetboil in the past. This requires me to "freezer bag" cook.

Please advise on how an Alcohol stove works and the merits of one. What model would you suggest for a solo? (I realize I could make one out of a pop or tuna can, but I prefer to purchase one so I don't screw it up..)

Thanks in advance!

I made a pepsi can stove myself, without any confidence mind you. I just watched some youtube clips, and then set off on my own project. Watching it light the first time (at home) was an amazing experience and I knew it was the stove I'd be taking along with me. If it were to get destroyed, I had everything needed to rebuild one except the cans- and pretty much weightless minus fuel. You will likely want to continue freezer bag style cooking with it to conserve fuel and, at least with a self built model, the heat isn't really adjustable.

Journal Entries

Ive used a VARGO alcohol stove on my thru hike and was very happy with it. Check out alcohol stoves on line and you will come across a wide assortment of them. The only draw back on them is the slow process of setting up the stove,pouring the alcohol and waiting 3 to 5 minutes to boil your water. Its somewhat lighter than a jetboil if your weight conscious,but the new jetboil sol ti comes very close to near even weight. One other draw back is the availbillity of buying fuel for the jetboil. During my PCT thru a couple of hikers could not buy any fuel for there jetboil in some of the towns along the trail, but the denature alcohol was readily availiable.

Journal Entries

Default Love my JetBoil

I have both an alcohol stove and a JetBoil. I use them differently. If I want to lighten my load I either go without a stove (hardly ever), or I go with the alcohol stove. However, I find that 95% of the time I really like the speed and convenience of boiling with the JetBoil. There is now a lighter Titanium version too. It is a little pricey, but I have to say this is a solid setup with no complaints from me.

Billie Blazes

Images

Quote Originally Posted by wwbriggs View Post
    I have both an alcohol stove and a JetBoil. I use them differently. If I want to lighten my load I either go without a stove (hardly ever), or I go with the alcohol stove. However, I find that 95% of the time I really like the speed and convenience of boiling with the JetBoil. There is now a lighter Titanium version too. It is a little pricey, but I have to say this is a solid setup with no complaints from me.
    plus one....
    If you find yourself in a fair fight; your tactics suck.

Images

I love my JetBoil Ti. Not as light as ur small stoves but but it boils water so so fast. No wind screen needed. Most simple stove I have used.

Images

I have a bunch of stoves: liquid fuel, canister, alcohol, esbit, even a little wood burner - my least favorite is the jet-boil. I use it in my office for making soup and coffee and it's ok on a road trip or to loan to someone but I think it is really limiting as compared to other stoves.

NOBO toBennington, VT plus 187 mi in MH & ME
    Images

I have alcohol stoves and wood stoves. I get "jetboil envy" every time someone fires one up in camp.

Pack on the back, I don[t miss it nearly as much.

the road to light(er) weight is littered with such decisions.
    Grinder
    AT hiker : It's the journey, not the destination

Images

I have a Jetboil--moved to a Soto Stove (3 oz.) using canister gas. My favorite--my Jetboil now collects dust.

Registered User Edwardo Rodriguez's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by q-tip View Post
    I have a Jetboil--moved to a Soto Stove (3 oz.) using canister gas. My favorite--my Jetboil now collects dust.
    amen to soto use mine for 2 thru trips on the JMT planing on using mine again for this summer trips on the JMT and for the AT next year. Am planing on sending my canisters with my resupply boxes

Images

Making a soda can stove (pennystove persuasion) isn't all that difficult. If you use a full can to stretch the bottom cup and take your time while fitting the halves together, it's a very quick and simple process.

Also, I found it to be much more beneficial if you score deeply while the razor is in the book. Then all you have to do is press along the line and everything pops apart cleanly.

For holes, I used a pushpin. The size seems perfect, it's not too long, so I don't need to worry about puncturing anything else, and the plastic knob really makes it easy to pop the holes where I need them.

I see you're from MI, so the whole "they're free to make" isn't as true for you as it is for many others due to the deposit on the cans. Being from CT, I had the same issue - each can I tear apart is effectively 5 cents. For you, it'd be 10. But you only need 2, so that's still pretty darn cheap.

take a look at the SuperCat stove. IMO, it's the easiest of the alcohol stoves to make. I've been using one, exclusively on all my hikes for over 2 years. My hiking buddy has a jetboil, it is very loud. Mine is nearly silent. Yeah, it takes about a minute longer to boil, but it takes no time to setup or take apart. The only con I'm aware of is that it doesn't simmer or cook. It's really only good for boiling, although there are designs to make a SimmerCat, I haven't made one.
    http://jwbasecamp.com/Articles/SuperCat/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by amac View Post
    The only con I'm aware of is that it doesn't simmer or cook. It's really only good for boiling, although there are designs to make a SimmerCat, I haven't made one.
    http://jwbasecamp.com/Articles/SuperCat/index.html
    A Simmer Cat has one row of holes. A big advantage is it can hold more fuel and burn longer/slower, if that is your desire. Also, I found that if you us cut some short pieces of wire, bent in a "U" shape and drape over the rim of the stove, so that there is about a 1 mm gap between the stove and the pot, the heat output of the simmercat is greatly increased to be almost that of a supercat, giving nice dual use. Or just bring one of each as they cost and weigh very little.

+1 to the supercat type of stove; costs almost nothing to make, easy, effective. I like Skurka's description of this; the supercat article above is great, but Skurka summarizes it well, a lot less to read through to get something that's just dead easy to get right the first time (unlike, for example, a pepsi can stove, which might or might not work out well for you on the first try):

http://andrewskurka.com/how-to/how-t...alcohol-stove/
    Gadget
    PCT: 2008 NOBO, AT: 2010 NOBO, CDT: 2011 SOBO, PNT: 2014+2016

Images

I did a section hike (about 100 miles) with a jet-boil a few years back - being a jet-boil novice then, I did a few things wrong - like expecting to be able to actually cook things vs just boil water. Another mistake that I made (hilarious) was that I brought a short spork so I couldn't reach the bottom of the pot. I ended up finding a tent stake that I duct taped to my spork to reach the bottom of the jet-boil. I really think that a pocket-rocket and a 1 qt TI pot is much more useful.

Pocket rocket uses canisters that can't be refilled, right? So, when you spend the fuel, you have to chuck the canister. But, as I understand it, you can't landfill them because they are pressurized. What do you do with the spent canisters? And, from what I've read, you probably get about 16 "meals" - boiling water out of a canister. Is that what you've experienced? Thanks for the input.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by get wayaway View Post
    Pocket rocket uses canisters that can't be refilled, right? So, when you spend the fuel, you have to chuck the canister. But, as I understand it, you can't landfill them because they are pressurized. What do you do with the spent canisters? And, from what I've read, you probably get about 16 "meals" - boiling water out of a canister. Is that what you've experienced? Thanks for the input.
    To recycle them as recycleable steel, hook them up to your stove, open the valve to make sure there is no gas left in the canister, and puncture with a can opener(<$1.00). church key.jpgOr you can buy a can opener tool from the canister maufacturers for $6.00 plus.JETBOIL-CrunchIt-2.jpg

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by get wayaway View Post
    Pocket Rocket and Jetboil canisters are steel - all you have to do is puncture the cylinder - REI has a key for that or use a nail and hammer. - I chuck them "over the fence" at the junk yard - where he keeps a stack of steel. This is a local higher end recycle' r in West Chester.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

I have a pocket rocket and it frankly scares the crap out of me. You are cooking on top of your fuel. My fear is how much heat is my pan reflecting back onto the canister??? Maybe I'm just paranoid....I'm sure these companies have tested these stoves intensely, but it makes me awful uncomfortable thinking about cooking on a pressurized bomb...
    “Well, I'm walkin' down the line.
    I'm walkin' down the line!
    An' I'm walkin' down the line,
    my feet'll be a-flyin',
    to tell about my troubled mind.”
    - Bob Dylan

Images

I really hate liquid fuel so I switched to the Jetboil. No muss no fuss.
    Everything is in Walking Distance

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++