WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Bad things in the water

Sorry to make yet another water filter thread, but I'm quite confused here.

Iodine:
    This was my first choice. I don't mind the taste, and the crystal form of it will last forever for a cheap price. But I'm often lazy about it, and don't use it, or drink too soon in colder temperatures. The only thing it really helps against is Guardia, as well.

Fabric fiters:
    I've owned a bunch of fish tanks growing up as a kid, and the thought of a standard filter sounds scary to me. The slightest bump in the filter will release months of bacteria and dirt that's been trapped back into the water. Not to mention the extra weight,and another 'monthly fee' for the trip.

Ceramic filters:
    I don't know anything about these. The Katadyn Mini seems to cost about the same as a normal filter, but lasts 10x longer. But it seems to have a frustratingly low pump rate.

T-Shirt:
    The chance of catching Guardia is slim, and even if I catch it, it's likely to go away on it's own. The threat of farm runoff, and other nasty things will still be there no matter what else I use.

Debate? I'm not even sure I have a question. Maybe there's something out there that I've missed.

Journal Entries

Also, UV light. The Steripen kills the creeps in the water too.
    2012 NOBO - April start date
    Follow me here: Here, There, and Everywhere

I like non-comercial systems because the information tends to be more objective. I bring my water to a boil or near boil, when in doubt, and I'm happy using clothing as a filter if the water isn't that clear. I always boil or near boil if the water isn't clear. For a cold refreshing drink I take my chances in the coldest clearest streams I can find, which are common where I hike. On the AT, or any place I am not familiar with, I would bring a small bottle of that two part aqua-mira stuff or equivalent.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

So what's the question?
    Treat or don't treat?
    How to treat?
    You'll get all kinds of answers here.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

I think he is just curious about what other options there might be out there, and open discussion.

Here are some options with commentary.

1. Aquamira drops
    2. MSR sweet drops
    3. Bleach drops (homemade know how to use before using)

The rest

Sterile UV pen (waste of space, batteries, time (if you want to kill everything), also seems like your exposing yourself to some UV too)

MIOXX system (I prefer the taste vs drops, but prefer the weight of drop vs mioxx)

Inline Microfilters (slightly heavier, will wear out, dont treat all microbes) not bad for filtering out chemical tastes though

Standard filters (worst option on AT (and in general IMO), most work with nalgene so you might have to have one which is a negative if you dont want to, will clog).

Gravity filters (nvm this is the worst option)

Salt- yeah some people are crazy

Alcohol- more crazy

Adding other bacteria to hunt and kill the bad bacteria (dont try at home)

Quote Originally Posted by brill540 View Post

Iodine:
    This was my first choice. I don't mind the taste, and the crystal form of it will last forever for a cheap price. But I'm often lazy about it, and don't use it, or drink too soon in colder temperatures. The only thing it really helps against is Guardia, as well.

T-Shirt:
    The chance of catching Guardia is slim, and even if I catch it, it's likely to go away on it's own. The threat of farm runoff, and other nasty things will still be there no matter what else I use.
    Iodine- if your gonna use bad tasting chemical why not use one that works against pretty much everthing like aquamira or bleach.

T-shirt- what does this accomplish, keeps the leaves and sticks out? Are you filtering from stagnant ponds or muddy water. Seems useless.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Your not exposed to UV from a Streipen unless your doing something with it you're not suppose to!
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Don H View Post
    So what's the question?
    Treat or don't treat?
    How to treat?
    You'll get all kinds of answers here.
    Yes. All of those, haha. I'm leaning toward not treating, and tossing in some iodine when it's still water. But I don't know if this would actually be effective, or just an effort to make myself feel better.

Quote Originally Posted by TOMP View Post
    Iodine- if your gonna use bad tasting chemical why not use one that works against pretty much everthing like aquamira or bleach.

T-shirt- what does this accomplish, keeps the leaves and sticks out? Are you filtering from stagnant ponds or muddy water. Seems useless.
    Mosquito larva come to mind. Had a few in my bottle last time I did a test hike. I drank them because it was all I had. Poor creatures.

But yeah, just mud and twigs and such. Plan on starting a hike this March, so the water source is whatever I find.

Quote Originally Posted by Don H View Post
    Your not exposed to UV from a Streipen unless your doing something with it you're not suppose to!
    I have never used this steripen or similar product, just seems like it would since as I understand it you are putting a UV lightbulb in a clear water bottle and waiting 30-60 minutes. If you can see this light you are exposed.

You wait 30-60 seconds*, and it is claimed that the UV produced isn't strong enough to penetrate plastic...

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Seeing the UV light does not equal harmful exposure.
    You're exposed to UV light every day.
    The Steripen does not emit enough light to penetrate the container (I use a 1L Gatoraid bottle).
    The light won't come on unless the unit is submerged in water.
    You can find the Steripen directions online at http://www.steripen.com/
    It's worth looking in to, I used one for half my thru-hike.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Most thru hikers use AquaMira. You'll soon understand why after being on the trail a couple weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Spokes View Post
    Most thru hikers use AquaMira. You'll soon understand why after being on the trail a couple weeks.
    why is that?

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Images

I like Aqua-Mira. I've used filters and they are a pain, prone to breaking, and freeze up on cold days. I knew people who used Steri-pens on my thru and they had issues with them and ended up ditching them. Springs are good to drink from without treatment for the most part but treat it if they are slightly questionable to you. Instead of your sweaty T-shirt use the good old bandanna to pre-filter the sediment out of silty water sources. New England isn't a bad place to have a filter because some of your water sources are ponds but I did without just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by brill540 View Post
    Sorry to make yet another water filter thread, but I'm quite confused here.

Iodine:

Fabric fiters:
    I've owned a bunch of fish tanks growing up as a kid, and the thought of a standard filter sounds scary to me. The slightest bump in the filter will release months of bacteria and dirt that's been trapped back into the water. Not to mention the extra weight,and another 'monthly fee' for the trip.

Ceramic filters:
    I don't know anything about these. The Katadyn Mini seems to cost about the same as a normal filter, but lasts 10x longer. But it seems to have a frustratingly low pump rate.

T-Shirt:

Debate? I'm not even sure I have a question. Maybe there's something out there that I've missed.
    Faith: i have never treated or filtered any water on the AT. never gotten sick either. works for me

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    why is that?
    Because for those hikers who don't want to drink untreated water (like you), it's simple, easy, and doesn't involve batteries.

I drank water directly out of springs with no treatment, and treated all stream water with Aqua Mira. I never encountered a water source where I had to filter out sediment with a t-shirt or bandanna before drinking. In 5 months of hiking I never had any stomach or intestinal problems.

Quote Originally Posted by rusty bumper View Post
    I drank water directly out of springs with no treatment, and treated all stream water with Aqua Mira. I never encountered a water source where I had to filter out sediment with a t-shirt or bandanna before drinking. In 5 months of hiking I never had any stomach or intestinal problems.
    Well then, maybe I ought to take you to Vegas next time I go. You lucky thing.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++