WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Here's my list... Please critique

Here is my list of items that I plan on bringing with me on the AT this year. I have included everything down to the nighty-gritty of things. Including a few items that I still believe I need to purchase. I have not included food or water into any of my totals so far and my entire weight including all list below is 38lbs & 3ozs. If there is anyone out there that will be willing to help me cut some of the weight I have down I would be most gratious. Because I don't have that much money to spend alot of my items are a little heavier then I would like. Also on my clothes I can reduce an additonal .5oz due to cutting and removing all tags though that I only have a food scale it is difficult for me to have an accurate weight down to grams so my over all weight is probably 37lbs. Anyways thank you very much and I am looking forward to anyones critique on the following thank you....

611oz = 38lbs 3ozs

Missing 56.5oz

1 Short-Sleeve Shirt 4.5oz
    Insulated Jacket 16oz
    3 Pairs Underware 3oz
    1 Pair Wool Socks 1.5oz
    1 Pair Sandals 3oz
    1 Pair Shoes 25oz
    Neosporin 1oz
    1 2.5gallon Collapsoble Bag 1.5oz
    Q-Tips 1oz

554.5oz = 34lbs 10.5ozs

Sleeping 57.5oz

Army Closed-Cell Sleeping Pad 19oz
    Army 30+ Sleeping Bag 35oz
    Mylar Sleeping Bag 2.5oz
    REI Sleeping Bag Stuff Sack 1oz

Trek Poles Outdoor (Walmart) 32oz

Backpack Etc... 62oz

Backpack Liner (Trash Bag) 1oz
    Osprey Atmos 65 Backpack 57oz
    Osprey Medium Backpack Cover 4oz

AT Companion book, Data book,
    Journal/Wallet 18oz

Misc on Top 25.5oz

SD Baseball Hat 3.5oz
    Fleece Jacket (modifing to weigh less
    by removing pockets) 16oz
    Poncho 6oz

Tent Bag 85oz

REI Passanger 2 Tent
    REI Passanger 2 Rainfly
    10 Aluminum Stakes
    2 Aluminum Poles
    2 Tie Down Strings

Clothes on Me 36.25oz

1 Bandana 1oz
    Dri-Star Under Armour 4.5oz
    Columbia Titanium Long-Sleeve Shirt 10.5oz
    Columbia Omni-Wick Convertible Pants 12.5oz
    1 Hankerchief .5oz
    Insect Shield OR Gaiters 4.5oz
    Dri-Star Nylon/Polyester Socks 1.25oz
    Polyester Beanie .5oz
    Sunglasses 1oz

Clothes Bag (Water Bag Green 1oz) 73.5oz

Champion Under Armour 6.5oz
    Zero-X-Posure Gloves 3oz
    Western Safety Gloves 2.5oz
    Dri-Star 2Pair Nylon/Polyester Socks 2.25oz
    Dri-Star Wind Jacket 10.5oz
    Dri-Star Wind Pants 10oz
    Marlin Trading CO. Swim Shorts 7oz
    Dri-Star Thermal Top 5oz
    Dri-Star Thermal Bottoms 5.5oz
    Dri-Star Under Armour Shirt 4.5oz
    Microfiber Short-Sleeve Buttonup Shirt 9.25oz
    Polar-Tec Thermal Top 5.5oz
    1 Bandana 1oz

Food Bag (Army Green 1oz) 1oz+?

medical/repair bag (red .5oz) 34oz

Medication 7oz
    Elastic Wrap, Rolled Gauze, 4 Moleskin
    20 Bandaids in Ziplock Bag 3.25oz
    Nicotine Patches 4oz
    Hand Sanitizer 3oz
    Repair Kit - (2 Gorilla Super Glue, Seam Sealer,
    Saftey Pins, 3 Ferrules, 2 Nylon Mesh Patch,
    Floor Patch, Ripstop Nylon Patch, Shock Cord,
    2 Steel Needles, 2 Thread Spools
    50ft Fishing Line) 4oz
    50ft Duct Tape 1oz
    Mylar Sheet 1.5oz
    6 Tums 3oz
    Campho-Phenique 1oz
    Visine .75oz
    Swiss Knife (knife, File,
    Scissors, Tweezers, Toothpick)
    Fishing line, Whistle, Compass
    2 Ear Plugs 1oz
    Cuticle Cutter 1.5oz
    Inhaler 1.5oz
    Pain Pills 1oz

Stove Bag (Blue 1oz) 26oz

Steel Pot W/Lid 8oz
    Sterno Can 8oz
    20 Potable Aqua Tabs (Chlorine Dioxide) .25oz
    Stove, Pot Stand, Windscreen 2oz
    Spoon 1oz
    Potable Aqua (Iodine + PA) 2oz
    Can Opener .25oz
    Matches .25oz
    Lighter .25oz
    Magneisium and Stricker 3oz

Stove Bag 2 (Grey Blue .5oz) 20.5oz

2 Bottles Fuel 8.5oz
    35ft Parachute Cord 2.5oz
    55ft Parachute Cord 4oz
    Steel Cup 5oz

Bathroom/Hygenie (Blue Waterbag 1oz) 42.75oz?

Trowel W/Bag 4.5oz
    Camp Towel 3oz
    Shampoo&Conditioner 3oz?
    Wipes 9oz
    Floss .5oz?
    Deoderant 2.5oz
    Toilet Paper 1oz?
    Dr. Bonner's Soap 6oz?
    Brush 3oz?
    Toothpaste 2oz?
    Toothbrush 2oz?
    Hand Sanitizer 3oz
    2 Mini Camp Towels 1oz
    Chapstick .5oz
    Nail Clippers, Tweezers, File .75oz

Misc 35.5oz

Headlamp 1oz
    Mini Flashlight 1oz
    MP3 Charger 3oz
    Mylar Sheet 1.5oz

Cough Drops 3oz
    Knife 4.5oz
    Insect Repellent 1oz
    Hand Sanitizer 3oz

Hackie-Sack 1.5oz
    Paper Work, ID, BC, SSC 1.5oz

Braclets, Pins, Earrings 2.5oz
    Pencils, Eraser, Sharpener,
    Case, Ruler 7oz

2 Caribiners (Orange) 1.5oz
    2 Caribiners (Black) 1oz
    MP3 Player W/Headphones 2.5oz

Bags 6oz

2 Large Trash Bags 1oz
    6 Freezer Bags 2.5oz
    6 Sandwich Bags 1.5oz
    1 Orange Water Bag 1oz

Short answer: You have "Too much".

A bit longer answer: TOO many items. The weight is TOO heavy on many of the items that you have. Basically--you need to lower your QUANTITIES and (if possible on your limited budget) buy some lighter things. What is really killing you is an extra half ounce on an item here--and an extra four ounces on an item there. (When multiplied by dozens of items, this soon equals numerous POUNDS). Your nearly 4 lb pack and nearly 5.5 lb tent system are the biggest "single item" offenders. That is 9+ lbs. By comparison, my pack and shelter COMBINED weigh 3.5 lbs when I pack HEAVY)

HERE IS MY LONGEST ANSWER WITH SOME SPECIFIC SUGGESTIONS:

--On clothing, you have at least "one change of clothes" too many on many of your clothing items. Counting what you are wearing--you have: 4 pairs of socks, two bandanas AND a handkerchief, lots of Under Armour and thermal layers. Possibly 4 pairs of underwear. Two pairs of gloves etc.

--Cut down on warm outer layers--insulated jacket AND Fleece AND Wind jacket AND a poncho. Pick just two--(MAYBE three of these four items if planning a cold weather start). You have all of these warm outer layers PLUS 2-3 changes of warm BASE layers. This is WAY too much).

--No need for 2.5 gallon collapsible water bag. I can get by with two 1 liter Gatorade bottles.

--MUCH Needless Duplication. Some examples: Head lamp AND a flashlight, ONE Large camp towel and TWO small camp towels (just one towel is often more than I need), FOUR Carabiners (why four?)

--No need for multiple pencils, a pencil sharpener, a case, and a ruler. Lighten that load. Take ONE lightweight pen. Or ONE pencil sharpened with your knife. No need for the case at that point.

--Far too many "luxury" items. Hackie Sack, MP3 Player. M3 Charger, bracelets, pins and earrings, AT Companion AND Data Book AND Journal. Find ways to cut weight on this (You are carrying 1.25 lbs of books), Can opener (I haven't used one outdoors in the past 30 years)

--Too many toiletries. No need for for all of these: soap, shampoo, conditioner, deodorant, wipes and hand sanitizer. Ditch shampoo, conditioner and maybe deodorant.

--Your First Aid/Medical/Repair kit is better stocked than some ambulances. I would find ways to cut weight there. (You mention mylar sheet in three different places on your list. I could probably construct a tarp--or similar shelter--out of the materials and equipment contained JUST IN YOUR REPAIR KIT!).

--STEEL pot (8 oz) and STEEL cup (6 oz). There are many lighter (and inexpensive) options. Search the Whiteblaze forums.

--Why a stove, two bottles of fuel--AND AN 8 oz. Sterno? Ditch the sterno.

--Why a lighter AND magnesium/striker AND matches? Pick ONE.

--Many people eliminate the trowel altogether and dig holes with a stick or with a tent stake.
    "A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world." - Paul Dudley White

As already said, in short you just are trying to bring waaaayyy too much. Slim it down a bunch. You want items that are dual purpose ideally. Think of things that you really need and put them in one pile, and then put the 'i want, or i think i need for a backup/emergency etc' in another pile. Then reevaluate.
    Here are the things i would ditch if i were you.
    -1 pair underwear
    -fleece jacket or insulated jacket
    I see you have alot of under armor and 2short sleeve shirts, and the columbia l/s shirt. If those underarmors are shirts. You only need 1 dry shirt for camp, and the columbia shirt, everything else is dead weight and useless. Keep your thermal top and bottom, 1 s/s shirt, and the columbia shirt and ditch everything else shirt wise.
    -ditch the swim shorts, just use your convertible pants.
    Depending on your start date the wind pants may be unneeded as well, i find the columbia pants to cut the wind just fine.
    What are the safety gloves?
    You probably don't need two spools of thead, and can probably slim down other repair items a little too.
    Steel pot is a little heavy. You can pick up a cheap grease pan from kmart, walmart etc and they weigh far less and only cost like 3$
    Ditch the sterno, and you can probably ditch 1 fuel bottle as well.
    Ditch some of that paracord, thats way too much. Depending on what your planning on using it for, i would only carry about 50ft total and even thats still alot. there are also other cheap altermnatives. About 35ft is usually good for bear bagging, 50 would give you a little extra for other things, but no need for 90ft.
    Steel cup- same deal as the pot, many many cheap light alternatives at places like walmart etc
    Ditch the trowel, use a stick
    Ditch the shampoo and conditioner, just use it in town. If your desperate to get yourself un oily then mix a little wood ash in water to make lye, then use it to clean yourself. Or use your Dr. bronner soap for both, thats what i do. And you only need an oz or 2 of dr. b it goes a really long way.
    I would keep the dental floss and ditch all sewing thread and other misc unneeded cordage. Floss is multi use and very strong.
    ditch the mini camp towels.
    ditch mini flashlight, you already have a headlamp. you'd be better off carrying spare batteries.
    You have the mylar sheet in your list twice, may be an error, if its not ditch 1
    Only bring 1 knife, ditch either the swiss army or the other one.
    7oz ruler?

If its not an essential item and it doesn't serve at least two purposes consider leaving it at home. You will be down close to 20lbs before you know it. all those little items add up.

Some ways to think of how to eliminate items
    -dental floss-multi use cordage, you can sew with it, floss with it, tie things together, its a very multi use and strong cordage option in a small light weight package
    -duct tape- treat blisters, repair gear, hold things together, wrap an ankle etc. Would allow you to ditch the elastic bandage, and even the moleskin.

Think of items like that and start trimming! Good luck!
    "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." George Orwell

Journal Entries
    Images

Very thorough list. Some observations:

not sure when you are leaving but a 30f bag might not be warm enough
    not sure I would remove pockets from fleece jacket
    consider leaving lid to backpack
    check sternum strap buckle - it might have a whistle
    leave wind pants
    4 pr socks too many - 3 should be ok - always have one dry pr for camp
    check out antigravitygear for all your kitchen needs
    50 ft para cord should be enough
    leave mini flashlight
    leave shampoo
    leave deoderant
    only 3 oz of Dr B's - very sudsy stuff and can double as shampoo
    reduce repair kit
    3 camp towels?!? - bandana should suffice
    data book is superfluous with Companion
    bounce hackie sack to HF - you'll be used to walking all day/every day by then
    hydration system for drinking on the go
    cuticle cutter?!?
    2 hand sanitizers?!?
    2 knives?!? - swiss army should suffice
    leave clippers - use swiss army scissors
    leave can opener - swiss army might have one on small screw driver
    need sunscreen - no leaves on trees

Concur:
    You have way too many things. Some of which will do double duty. Seriously reconsider each item (and its quantities) to further reduce. Maybe seperate into different piles of stuff: required items, luxury items, cant live without items, etc. After reducing post a new list.

As far as clothing goes, Will you ever wear all of it at the same time? - if not, you probably have too much

Good Luck and Have Fun!

See you on the trail,
    mt squid

how to hike
    some observations

thank you all for the info as far as the pencil collection i'm iffy about because i love to draw and would rather do it then take a picture though will consider dropping the ruler, pencil sharpener and maybe 8 of the 12 pencils because each one is a different kinda of cut for different drawing techniques.... though again thank you and hopefully i will have my overall weight cut in half after reviewing all or your notes and my items... will repost the outcome in a few days.... Also the first set of items under "missing" are items i haven't purchased yet though am planning on and probably will only get a pair of shoes and maybe so crampons instead of the sandals.....

My opinion is you have too much tent, too much clothing and that entire repair kit section needs to go. Did we see you on the Hoarding show? If you don't toss it now you will be mailing it home be the time you get to Neel's Gap. The lighter you start....the less the damage to your body.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Scribbles82 View Post
    thank you all for the info as far as the pencil collection i'm iffy about because i love to draw and would rather do it then take a picture though will consider dropping the ruler, pencil sharpener and maybe 8 of the 12 pencils because each one is a different kinda of cut for different drawing techniques.... though again thank you and hopefully i will have my overall weight cut in half after reviewing all or your notes and my items... will repost the outcome in a few days.... Also the first set of items under "missing" are items i haven't purchased yet though am planning on and probably will only get a pair of shoes and maybe so crampons instead of the sandals.....
    Unless you're hiking NH and ME during the dead of winter, you won't need crampons. You didn't mention that you were an artist. Keep the pencils and drawing gear. If I remember it is under 1 lb and is obviously a passion. I also draw, so I understand. Some great sketches of the AT will be worth the weight penalty. These are the tough "luxury choices".

I agree that your list is long and heavy--think 'backwards' by packing just what you need to get you to your first mail drop. Send what you think you 'might' need to that mail drop and when you get there take what you now know you need and want and send the rest home. Trust me, you will not regret the nearly empty pack for a few days. Just take what you need to stay fed, hydrated, and warm.

I think you should take your drawing stuff--maybe just the harder of the pencils-the softer ones tend to smudge up on drawing that are carried very far without some kind of fixer applied and great care taken to protect them. Never underestimate the value of the things and activities that comfort you in solitude or in company. And take the sharpener as it is very useful for making fine shavings for emergency fire starting!

What month are you starting? February? Good try at the list, but maybe you tried too hard unless you need to stay warm in the dead of Winter. Did I count five shirts?
    Hiking the AT is not mountaineering.... you are not so much in the wilderness and the weather can be wet and cold, but is rarely alpine. In fact for many months it will be quite warm and you will hike in shorts and a tee shirt and have little or no use for lots of changes of clothes.

CF97 > Everything Else.

Quote Originally Posted by moldy View Post
    Did we see you on the Hoarding show? If you don't toss it now you will be mailing it home be the time you get to Neel's Gap. The lighter you start....the less the damage to your body.
    C'mon man, no need to be rude. Yes, this is a heavy load, he asked for a critique, not insults.

Scrabbles you gotta find a much lighter tent, look into Big Agnes' Fly Creek UL1.
    "... I know it is wrong, but I am for the spirit that makes young men do the things they do. I am for the glory that they know." --Sigurd Olson, Singing Wilderness.

AT '12, LT '13, CT '14, PCT '15

This list contains all the gear you need for a cold weather AT pack. Add a 100 weight fleece (if you want) and trash compactor bag for a liner. Base weight is 16-18 lbs. Trim for summer and go even lighter.

1. 611oz = 38lbs 3ozs

Missing 56.5oz

Insulated Jacket 16oz
    3 Pairs Underware 3oz – 2 pairs is enough. Get Exoficios.
    1 Pair Wool Socks 1.5oz
    1 Pair Sandals 3oz
    1 Pair Shoes 25oz
    Neosporin 1oz
    1 2.5gallon Collapsoble Bag 1.5oz – what is this for?
    Q-Tips 1oz

554.5oz = 34lbs 10.5ozs

Sleeping 57.5oz

Mylar Sleeping Bag 2.5oz

Backpack Etc... 62oz

Journal/Wallet 18oz

Misc on Top 25.5oz

SD Baseball Hat 3.5oz
    by removing pockets) 16oz – You have an insulated jacket listed above.

Poncho 6oz

Tent Bag 85oz

REI Passanger 2 Tent
    REI Passanger 2 Rainfly
    10 Aluminum Stakes
    2 Aluminum Poles
    2 Tie Down Strings

Clothes on Me 36.25oz

1 Bandana 1oz
    1 Hankerchief .5oz
    Polyester Beanie .5oz
    Sunglasses 1oz

Zero-X-Posure Gloves 3oz
    Dri-Star Wind Pants 10oz

Dri-Star Thermal Top 5oz
    1 Bandana 1oz

Medication 7oz
    20 Bandaids in Ziplock Bag 3.25oz – carry like 5 at most.
    Nicotine Patches 4oz
    Hand Sanitizer 3oz
    Repair Kit - (2 Gorilla Super Glue
    , Seam Sealer, do this before you leave
    Saftey Pins, 3 Ferrules,
    2 Nylon Mesh Patch,
    2 Steel Needles,
    2 Thread Spools
    50ft Fishing Line) 4oz
    50ft Duct Tape 1oz
    Mylar Sheet 1.5oz
    6 Tums 3oz
    Campho-Phenique 1oz
    Visine .75oz
    2 Ear Plugs 1oz
    Cuticle Cutter 1.5oz
    Inhaler 1.5oz
    Pain Pills 1oz

Steel Pot W/Lid 8oz
    Sterno Can 8oz
    Spoon 1oz
    Can Opener .25oz
    Matches .25oz if your lighter runs out of fuel, borrow one and pick up another in town
    Lighter .25oz

2 Bottles Fuel 8.5oz – just bring one
    55ft Parachute Cord 4oz
    Steel Cup 5oz – drink out of pot (depending on size of it) up to you.

Trowel W/Bag 4.5oz
    Camp Towel 3oz
    Shampoo&Conditioner 3oz?
    Wipes 9oz
    Floss .5oz?
    Deoderant 2.5oz
    Toilet Paper 1oz?
    Dr. Bonner's Soap 6oz?
    Brush 3oz?
    Toothpaste 2oz?
    Toothbrush 2oz?
    Hand Sanitizer 3oz
    2 Mini Camp Towels 1oz
    Chapstick .5oz
    Nail Clippers, Tweezers, File .75oz – these are listed more than once I think

Misc 35.5oz

Headlamp 1oz
    Mini Flashlight 1oz
    MP3 Charger 3oz
    Mylar Sheet 1.5oz

Cough Drops 3oz
    Knife 4.5oz – you have a swiss knife, no need for more than that.
    Insect Repellent 1oz
    Hand Sanitizer 3oz – listed more than once

Hackie-Sack 1.5oz – will probably never use.

Case, Ruler 7oz

2 Caribiners (Orange) 1.5oz – maybe bring one, attached to your cord for bear bagging.
    2 Caribiners (Black) 1oz

Bags 6oz

2 Large Trash Bags 1oz
    6 Freezer Bags 2.5oz
    6 Sandwich Bags 1.5oz
    1 Orange Water Bag 1oz

Get rid of the stuff in red, or see comments.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Firefighter503 View Post
    1. 611oz = 38lbs 3ozs

Missing 56.5oz

Insulated Jacket 16oz
    3 Pairs Underware 3oz – 2 pairs is enough. Get Exoficios.
    1 Pair Wool Socks 1.5oz
    1 Pair Sandals 3oz
    1 Pair Shoes 25oz
    Neosporin 1oz
    1 2.5gallon Collapsoble Bag 1.5oz – what is this for?
    Q-Tips 1oz

554.5oz = 34lbs 10.5ozs

Sleeping 57.5oz

Mylar Sleeping Bag 2.5oz

Backpack Etc... 62oz

Journal/Wallet 18oz

Misc on Top 25.5oz

SD Baseball Hat 3.5oz
    by removing pockets) 16oz – You have an insulated jacket listed above.

Poncho 6oz

Tent Bag 85oz

REI Passanger 2 Tent
    REI Passanger 2 Rainfly
    10 Aluminum Stakes
    2 Aluminum Poles
    2 Tie Down Strings

Clothes on Me 36.25oz

1 Bandana 1oz
    1 Hankerchief .5oz
    Polyester Beanie .5oz
    Sunglasses 1oz

Zero-X-Posure Gloves 3oz
    Dri-Star Wind Pants 10oz

Dri-Star Thermal Top 5oz
    1 Bandana 1oz

Medication 7oz
    20 Bandaids in Ziplock Bag 3.25oz – carry like 5 at most.
    Nicotine Patches 4oz
    Hand Sanitizer 3oz
    Repair Kit - (2 Gorilla Super Glue
    , Seam Sealer, do this before you leave
    Saftey Pins, 3 Ferrules,
    2 Nylon Mesh Patch,
    2 Steel Needles,
    2 Thread Spools
    50ft Fishing Line) 4oz
    50ft Duct Tape 1oz
    Mylar Sheet 1.5oz
    6 Tums 3oz
    Campho-Phenique 1oz
    Visine .75oz
    2 Ear Plugs 1oz
    Cuticle Cutter 1.5oz
    Inhaler 1.5oz
    Pain Pills 1oz

Steel Pot W/Lid 8oz
    Sterno Can 8oz
    Spoon 1oz
    Can Opener .25oz
    Matches .25oz if your lighter runs out of fuel, borrow one and pick up another in town
    Lighter .25oz

2 Bottles Fuel 8.5oz – just bring one
    55ft Parachute Cord 4oz
    Steel Cup 5oz – drink out of pot (depending on size of it) up to you.

Trowel W/Bag 4.5oz
    Camp Towel 3oz
    Shampoo&Conditioner 3oz?
    Wipes 9oz
    Floss .5oz?
    Deoderant 2.5oz
    Toilet Paper 1oz?
    Dr. Bonner's Soap 6oz?
    Brush 3oz?
    Toothpaste 2oz?
    Toothbrush 2oz?
    Hand Sanitizer 3oz
    2 Mini Camp Towels 1oz
    Chapstick .5oz
    Nail Clippers, Tweezers, File .75oz – these are listed more than once I think

Misc 35.5oz

Headlamp 1oz
    Mini Flashlight 1oz
    MP3 Charger 3oz
    Mylar Sheet 1.5oz

Cough Drops 3oz
    Knife 4.5oz – you have a swiss knife, no need for more than that.
    Insect Repellent 1oz
    Hand Sanitizer 3oz – listed more than once

Hackie-Sack 1.5oz – will probably never use.

Case, Ruler 7oz

2 Caribiners (Orange) 1.5oz – maybe bring one, attached to your cord for bear bagging.
    2 Caribiners (Black) 1oz

Bags 6oz

2 Large Trash Bags 1oz
    6 Freezer Bags 2.5oz
    6 Sandwich Bags 1.5oz
    1 Orange Water Bag 1oz

Get rid of the stuff in red, or see comments.
    So, you've got him keeping a compass, 1/2 pound of soap and hand-sanatizer, and a 2-person tent? Good start, but I'd respectfully send this whole concoction back to the kitchen.

Whoops, didn't see the compass - drop that too. Still don't see the 1/2 lb of soap, and yeah keep the hand sanitizer - just one. Also, the OP stated that he did not have alot of money to spend on new gear. I was simply giving some suggestions based on the 38 lbs before food/water and lack of money. Its not the end of the world if the OP has a little extra room in his tent because he can't afford a new one right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Firefighter503 View Post
    Its not the end of the world if the OP has a little extra room in his tent because he can't afford a new one right now.
    Although the list cleary has room to drop about 10 lbs without buying gear (just by cutting the fat), I think a 5.5 lb tent is just a bad idea. The extra room in the tent isnt what id be concerned about its the weight. You can buy a cheap spitfire for about 80 dollars new with shipping included on amazon or similar eureka product. Not the fanciest tent but they do the job and only weigh in around 3 lbs. Seems like a good investment for 2.5 lbs of savings. Also why is this gear this posted twice?

Journal Entries
    Images

OMG. Skip underware and most of that cloths list. The medical list is a joke. I can't even read that kinda list.

Quote Originally Posted by TOMP View Post
    Although the list cleary has room to drop about 10 lbs without buying gear (just by cutting the fat), I think a 5.5 lb tent is just a bad idea. The extra room in the tent isnt what id be concerned about its the weight. You can buy a cheap spitfire for about 80 dollars new with shipping included on amazon or similar eureka product. Not the fanciest tent but they do the job and only weigh in around 3 lbs. Seems like a good investment for 2.5 lbs of savings. Also why is this gear this posted twice?
    Thats what I meant about the tent. Its heavy, but there is plenty of fat to cut first without spending money. I am all for not carrying a 5.5 lb tent, haha.

Images

If you are willing to rethink your whole gear list, you will find that you can get a cold weather 3 season base pack weight to 15 lbs. It would require a great leap of faith. My first AT pack weighed 38 lbs with food and water. Today, my cold weather base is 15 lbs, and my summer is 12 lbs. I learned what worked and what didn't over time, but I bought safe, effective light/ultralight gear and after 1,000 mi on the AT in 2010----it was worth every ounce of effort.

Images

Echo what has been said already - unless you genuinely don't mind carrying this much weight, you will probably get tired of lugging it all around. I started with almost 40 lbs and was down to around 20 within the first month. For comparison, look at my current gear list here: http://hike.mcdowellcrook.com/.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++