WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default biting insect season

If I start a thru hike at Springer Mountain on April 1 who thinks I should bring bug repellent from the get go and who thinks I can safely wait until further along my trail (into May)? (Bugs bite me a lot ...just don't know if there's a large biting insect population around in Georgia/NC area beginning of April.. would appreciate any knowledgeable insight.)

http://www.tendercorp.com/product.php?category=DEET Insect Repellents&product=Ben's® 30&id=191

Bring a small bottle of Ben's 30% deet (all you'll need -extra is just more toxic).

Spray your clothing (except rainwear) with a permethrin-based insecticide to repel ticks, biting flies, mosquitoes, etc. Lasts up to 6 weeks, I believe.

There will be biting bugs in the valleys, and I got bitten between the toes while relaxing in my hammock on Blue Mountain back in mid-March, 2006. It was unseasonably warm for a couple of weeks back then. Who knows what this year will bring? Be prepared for the first few days, and decide after that whether you'll need to continue carrying bug spray.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

From the get go. There is some kinda little blood suckin' knat/fly that gave me hell. It doesn't bite through clothing but made my bare legs look like I was some kinda leper.

Images

Mosquitoes are the worst for me. I've always said they must know that I'm a card carrying 0+universal blood donor.

I carry a small 2oz. spray bottle of Sawyers Permethrin to mist the brim of my hat . Before leaving for a hike during warmer bug biting season I lay the clothes outside that I'll be wearing and spray them using permethrin.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

thanks for the answers

Believe it or not but mosquitos were on my pond yesterday! Last day of January, who'd a thought.
    Don't Die Before You've Had A Chance To Live!

Last year the AT locals told me the gnat infestation was the worse in many many years. Guess what we forgot to bring on our 120 mile section hike. My legs looked like someone had poked them with an icepick. (Repeatedly....)

I see Coleman (I believe) is selling little pen sized spray dispenser of bug spray for only a couple bucks. Pretty light and handy. Of cousr Permethrin is great for the clothes and gear.

PCT 2013, most of AT 2011, rest of AT 2014

I started April 3 last year and carried no spray. The places I remember the bugs being heavy were the Smokies (gnats), Virginia in early-mid-June (also gnats), and Massachusetts-southern NH (mosquitoes). Mostly it was an issue in camp, where I solved the problem by hiking up my socks as far as I could (no rain pants or long pants at all in the summer for me) and tenting instead of being in shelters. Every now and then I was annoyed by the amount of bites I was getting, but it was never that big of a deal. But this is probably a matter of personal preference ... I'd encourage you to bring bug dope if you think it'll keep you sane. I just didn't like the weight, the spill-in-my-pack risk, or the thought of chemicals regularly on my skin.
    "Hahk your own hahk." - Ron Haven

"The world is a book, of which those who do not travel read only a page." - St. Augustine

http://www.scrubhiker.com/

Journal Entries
    Images

Take B-12 and garlic for a couple months before ya leave. Carry a face net up north and forget about it.

Hi...

Saw some mosquitos today...and there's still some snow on the ground (temps in the 50s right now)...!!

CAUTION: I used to use DEET products regularly. And then I discovered...first hand...that DEET will dissolve paint...!! I will no longer use it.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

I did Georgia in early April and never needed any bug repellent, nor did I bother to bring it. I covered Standing Indian to Franklin in mid-May 2010 and never needed repellent, but I did bring it. I covered Franklin to Fontana at the end of last May and used repellent twice for some biting gnats atop Wayah Bald and somewhere else. My daughter, who also gets bitten alot, rarely used repellent on the two May trips.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Prediction: Due to the warm weather this winter, ticks are going to be the #1 bug problem this year (though all other insects are going to benefit, too).

Buy lots of permethrin.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

++ New Posts ++