WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Smile Which MSR filter system??

Thoughts on the following 3 systems:

Sweetwater
    Hyperflow
    MiniWorks

I have watched video on all 3 of these and they all look pretty easy to use. The Mini seems to have the best reviews overall. Any thoughts and experiences you have to share are encouraged!!! Thanks!

I have the MSR MiniWorks. I like it. It works well. You have to use it with a Nalgene bottle. The pumping can get tiresome (the dirtier the water, the more difficult the pumping is). Pumping from the muddy water of the Colorado River was the first time I used the pump and it took forever. I like to use a portable "kitchen sink" to bring the water to a nice spot where I can sit and then pump the water from my bucket of water.

I just purchased the "Platypus GRAVITYWORKS™ WATER FILTER".
    Pros:
    (1) I like to use a hydration bladder when hiking (instead of drinking from a Nalgene bottle). I find that I drink a lot more when I use a bladder. The "clean" bladder on this system will be my hydration bladder (I purchased an additional drinking hose to attach).
    (2) This Platypus system is fast. I can fill it up and let it filter -- no pumping.
    (3) I don't have to take apart my MSR filter and scrub the junk off of the ceramic filter.
    (4) The Platypus system weighs 305 grams. The MSR MiniWorks weighs 414 grams + Nalgene (160grams x ?) + Hydration bladder (249 grams -- optional, but my preference to use a bladder). With the Platypus, the clean bladder holds up to 4L.

I'm very happy with my MSR MiniWorks system and I've had great experiences with the MSR customer support.
    However, I'm going to try the Platypus system as a way to cut down on weight/stuff.

PinkRaven

naturegirl,

Even Platypus recommends the use of the MSR MiniWorks under certain conditions. (see the blurb below)
    Out of the three MSR filters you recommended, I would vote for the MiniWorks.

PinkRaven

http://cascadedesigns.com/Platypus/FAQ
    How does the CleanStream™ filter do with tea-colored water?

This color of water typically comes from a high concentration of decaying vegetation adjacent to, or in, streams and lakes, resulting in a variety of organic acids. These include, but are not limited to, tannic, fulvic, and humic acids. These acids and the accompanying water conditions are very hard on ALL types of water filters.

Get your water elsewhere if you can. However, if no alternative exists and you are predominantly filtering these waters, we recommend using an MSR® MiniWorks® EX filter. Its ceramic element will collect all these impurities in its outer-most layer, allowing you to scrub away the clogged portion to restore normal flow rates. If you must use a CleanStream filter, backflushing religiously and often will help to minimize the effect of these impurities. When you return home, add 2 drops of unscented household bleach to one liter of water and backflush this solution through the filter. This will help to break up organics that might be clogging the filter while also providing the recommended treatment of your system for long-term storage.

Limited use in these conditions will not have a dramatic effect, but extended use can permanently impair hollow fiber media.

I have a MiniWorks and it works fine, but I haven't touched it since receiving the Platypus GravityWorks. It's so nice to just fill up the dirty bag, hang it, go about some other chore, and in 5 minutes come back to 4 liters of clean water.
    The mountains are calling and I must go.
    - John Muir

http://postholer.com/revlee

I have the miniworks, has not been a problem for me but as someone else posted my next hike I will have a camp water carrier so I can filter at my leisure in camp instead of at the stream.

No matter which you choose, throw a set of AquaMira in the bottom of your food bag as a back-up. Chances are you'll ditch the filter by Hot Springs.

Virginia Tortoise

After experiencing filter clogs with PUR/Katahdin Hiker and Guide, I got an MSR Miniworks. It's fantastic. When it gets hard to pump, just clean the ceramic filter with the scrub brush that is included and you are back in business.

Journal Entries
    Images

Sweetwater. But I been thinking of going like 78 and 82. Bleach in a test tube corked.

I hated my sweetwater, it took way too much pumping. I'd recommend crossing the sweetwater off your list and putting the katadyn hiker pro in it's place. It's a little lighter, comparable in price and takes like half the number of pumps to filter a liter. I haven't used the mimworks but the listed flow rate and weight still aren't as good as the katadyn hiker pro.

As for the hyperflow, I'm a big fan of hollow fiber filters but haven't tried the technology in a pump filter. It has a great flow rate, weight and lifespan (for a pump filter). Seems to me like this is the winner for a pump filter. That said this is my favorite filter: http://www.rei.com/product/801824/sa...e-water-filter

It's almost half the price and weight, is a tighter filter, it lasts astronomically longer and doesn't require so much as a single pump.

First Need or chemicals. Most filters don't deal with viruses (not likely in the USA, but not impossible).

If you're going to give it a second thought, might as well get something certified by the EPA as a purifier, not just a filter.

Lone Wolf doesn't use filters. Sometimes common sense is all you need. (Then again, common sense is based on what you know, not what you don't know).

http://generalecology.com/category/portable
    Last edited by Tinker; 02-01-2012 at 17:42.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

All that stuff may be good if you're traveling in an RV, otherwise do what most thru hikers do- use AquaMira.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    First Need or chemicals.
    I've used the first need, it was a bit of a brick and kind of leaky. Good flow rate though. I am curious how it takes out viruses and chemicals with a 0.1 micron nominal (0.4 absolute) filter. My sawyer 3way is a 0.10 Micron Absolute filter and doesn't claim that it can do either of those things so how does the first need work?

Quote Originally Posted by Spokes View Post
    otherwise do what most thru hikers do- use AquaMira.
    Aquamira weighs 3oz when full and does 120 liters the sawyer 3way weighs the same, works for more than the whole AT twice making it a cheaper solution. Plus you don't have to chew the floaties.

If you want to save weight over Aquamira you could also use a Platypus GravityWorks Filter Cartridge inline. It ways 1.8oz lighter and even with the listed lifespan of 1,500 liters it's still works out to be cheaper.

I have no need to penny pinch, others do and thats okay. Heck, some even spend no money and drink untreated water the whole way.

I never had any issues with floaties in my water. It's pretty easy if you learn how to dip water from the source instead of cramming a bottle into it or swishing a filter tube around in it.
    Last edited by Spokes; 02-02-2012 at 10:39.

I have no need to penny pinch, others do and thats okay. Heck, some even spend no money and drink untreated water the whole way.
    My point is that there's really no upside to Aquamira on the AT. People cite the weight and price because it certainly isn't more convenient, however the new hollow fiber filter technology has negated those advantages.

I never had any issues with floaties in my water. It's pretty easy if you learn how to dip water from the source instead of cramming a bottle into it or swishing a filter tube around in it.
    How do you dip clean water out of mud? Because there were some areas of the AT where there wasn't anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucho View Post
    My point is that there's really no upside to Aquamira on the AT. People cite the weight and price because it certainly isn't more convenient, however the new hollow fiber filter technology has negated those advantages.

How do you dip clean water out of mud? Because there were some areas of the AT where there wasn't anything else.
    The point is to be happy about your water treatment decisions. Good to know we both are. I'm just part of a bigger cult than you are.

How do I dip clean water out of mud? Two ways- good water management and I get to the water source before the morons who don't know how to harvest it do.
    Last edited by Spokes; 02-02-2012 at 14:03.

Journal Entries
    Images

I got the MSR hollow fiber matrix gravity filter because I liked the intake bag. I haven't used it yet (not shipped).
    David Smolinski

++ New Posts ++