WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default car break-in on 522 entrance in Front Royal

My commute to work takes me past the entrance to the AT on 522 near Chester Gap, VA. I noticed there were two cars parked there for a long time, one light green Element and another car I dont remember. Early last week I noticed there were two piles of glass shards at that entrance. The next day I happened to pass two hikers sitting at the entrance, one on a cell phone, both looking distraught. I was wondering if this was a car-theft, or if I'm connecting several unrelated events and weaving them together to be something awful.

The glass pile is still there as of today, 8/24/11.

I didnt stop to help because I had an engagement to attend. I guess I wanted to say did anyone else in the area see this? And also, does anyone know if those hikers are okay?

Images

Don't know about those cars or hikers, but I'd never leave my vehicle in that spot for more than a day hike. Not a big lot, right on a busy road.

The hikers may have been calling for a ride into town, or finished their section. A lot that thru SNP finish right there.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

We have parked there over a weekend - never an issue. ATC usually updates if there are parking related crimes.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Default Registration Thieives

In NC we are experiencing a new type of car break-in where the thieves use a hand scanner to scan the bar code off your vehicle registration card. I assume this is for identify theft. Don't leave your registration or any other personal info in your car.

Quote Originally Posted by MaybeTomorrow View Post
    In NC we are experiencing a new type of car break-in where the thieves use a hand scanner to scan the bar code off your vehicle registration card. I assume this is for identify theft. Don't leave your registration or any other personal info in your car.
    On my very last trip (Jan 2012) I pulled a mid trip route across a mountain road in TN. The night before I was camped two miles away from the road and heard weird squawking sirens in the middle of the night. I packed up and hit the trail and found a backpacker's car torched and melted by the road. Big bummer for the backpacker and a sobering view for me.

This is what happens when hikers leave matches lying around for bears to find.

Good God, I guess you just shouldn't leave your car in your car!

Images

An alternative to parking out on 522 is to park at the Front Royal 4-H Center. It is free and off the driven path. I parked there when I did a through of the SNP.If interested their info is below. Paste the link into your browser or just search for Front Royal 4H. There is an access trail that leads from the parking lot up to the AT.

http://www.nova4h.com

Hikers on the Appalachian Trail are permitted to park vehicles at the 4-H Center under the following guidelines:
    1. Hikers who wish to park must complete a parking form prior to their trip. The form may be returned to the 4-H Center via fax or in person.
    2. Cars may be parked for a maximum of 30 days. Please contact the 4-H Center for trips longer than 30 days.
    3. Cars must be parked in the parking area directly across from the pool and below the access trail.
    Through-hikers may wish to take advantage of the pool and concession stand. You are welcome at the pool during regular business hours.

Furlough
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L’Amour

Images

Hi Furlong, Can you please check the "parking form" link here. (I posted on your other thread too). It appears not to be working.
    Thanks Toolshed...
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Toolshed View Post
    Hi Furlong, Can you please check the "parking form" link here. (I posted on your other thread too). It appears not to be working.
    Thanks Toolshed...
    Whoops sorry Furlough - I was thinking of 4H-Horses when I wrote your name as Furlong......
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

++ New Posts ++