WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Images

Post Sixth Annual WhiteBlaze Nashville Winter Dinner - Saturday, February 11, 2012

Sixth Annual WhiteBlaze Nashville Winter Dinner
    Saturday, February 11, 2012

Here's the itinerary (you are welcome to any or all of the activities; the main activity is the dinner gathering):

2:00 - for those who would like, and if someone will volunteer to lead?-- a hike at Radnor Lake State Natural Area. Details to be announced.

5:00 - THE MAIN EVENT: Dinner at Ruby Tuesday next door to REI in Brentwood. RSVPs are very helpful, so I can tell Ruby Tuesday how many to expect.

7:00 - Presentation next door at REI by Kathy RedHat Sidebottom Markward on her thru-hike of the AT. I met RedHat first in '05 when I "thru'd" the GSMNP and she was on her first attempted AT thru-hike.

Questions? Volunteers? Complaints? Anyone needing a place to stay? Anyone offering a place to stay for out-of-towners?

Here is the address (and phone number) for the Nashville REI (Ruby Tuesday is next door)--
    261 Franklin Road
    Brentwood, TN 37027
    (615) 376-4248

Check this thread for changes and updates, which I'll post if necessary.

I'm looking forward to seeing whoever is able to attend. Last year we had 40 for dinner. Nothing like getting together for good food and yakking with fellow AT hikers. Well, except for hiking!

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Images

Put me and my wife down. I'm going to ask my grandsons also. They both came last year and REALLY enjoyed the presentation. Oh! I'll show off my new knee cap. That's why ya'll haven't heard from me lately...JPJ

Has it been 6 years? I still remember the good time I had at the first one. Highly recommended.
    [COLOR="Blue"]Hokey Pokey [/COLOR]

Images

Hey! I'll be there with my hubby. Can't wait to hear RedHat's adventure! I do believe we will be hiking in Radnor as well. Who else is coming??? Gotta be some more WBers near Nashville (or not) who haven't responded.
    Turtle2

Sign me up for 2013... I want to finish the Trail this year, but I owe Nashville a visit!

Have fun at your dinner... sounds like a fun time!

Ross / DirtyGirl
    - - - - -

DirtyGirl
    2012 NoBo AT Thru-Hiker
    (and an incredibly proud 2011 SoBo JMT Thru-Hiker... I did it!!)

Ross Hayduk
    San Francisco, CA

www.hikerosshike.org

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Turtle2 View Post
    Who else is coming??? Gotta be some more WBers near Nashville (or not) who haven't responded.
    To be fair, several have replied in the "Nashville Backpacker" Meetup.com group. I also posted it as a HammockForums.net thread. So, I'm getting RSVPs in three places. I'll give a total head count as the time approaches.

And yes, HikerHead, it's been 6 years. (I thought maybe longer! LOL) Are you coming down this year?

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

Registered User SawnieRobertson's Avatar
    Journal Entries

Now this would be worth heading back to Virginia for! Right on my way!

The AT Adventures of Red Hat . . . Gotta be good!

I am tied down to my commitment here in San Antonio and from there to Taos, New Mexico, and from there to Estes Park, Colorado, though. There is a real pull to the invitation though.

Thanks, as always, RainMan.

Kinnickinic
    You never know just what you can do until you realize you absolutely have to do it.
    --Salaun

Images

Quote Originally Posted by SawnieRobertson View Post
    Thanks, as always, RainMan.
    Kinnickinic
    Sawnie, we need to get you to Nashville again some time! Sorry you can't come this time. BTW, I got to hear (and meet and get book autographed!) Jennifer Pharr Davis today at REI, speak for 3 hours on hiking the AT. She's great! I got to invite her audience to come back in two weeks to hear Red Hat (whom Jennifer met on the trail).

So far I have about two dozen folks signed up for the dinner and talk, and a few for a hike at Radnor. Most are RSVP'ing on HammockForums or at Nashville Backpacker Meetup.com or privately so far. We need some more posts here on WB, though.

RainMan

Last edited by Rain Man; 01-28-2012 at 18:11.

Images

I am really excited about sharing my AT adventures at the Meetup. I actually met Jen Pharr Davis around the same time I met you, Rain Man. We shared dinner and a bunkroom at NOC in 2005. She says I'm her favorite NOC bunkmate. (probably her only NOC bunkmate, lol) We've seen each other a number of times since then. She is one of my favorite folks. Obviously, our hiking styles are very different. And her presentations are much more professional. But, hey, I am a retired teacher and know how to talk... so it will be fun.

And as for you, Kinnicinic, I'll miss seeing you in Nashville, but San Antonio is pretty darn close. Maybe we can work it out to meet up there.... huh?

Teddy Bear in a hammock HikerRanky's Avatar
    Images

Put me and Jan down for dinner and the hike....

Sounds like a fun event - have a good time everyone. Red Hat, you could also talk about your JMT hike.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Cookerhiker View Post
    Sounds like a fun event - have a good time everyone. Red Hat, you could also talk about your JMT hike.
    I offered to speak about either one, and Rain Man thought more folks in TN would be interested in the AT. I have a lot more AT miles than JMT miles... about 3500 AT miles compared to 200+ JMT miles. Of course, the JMT is the perfect trail. The AT is more of a love/hate relationship....

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Red Hat View Post
    The AT is more of a love/hate relationship....
    THAT's what we want from our entertainers! Love. Hate. Relationships. The trifecta of holding America's interest!

Red Hat, REI has a set up for speakers who use their own laptops to do PowerPoint presentations, in case that's your plan and you need to know.

RainMan

I have to work that day, but I'm hoping to make the dinner and presentation. I'll have my laptop in tow in case it's needed.

Journal Entries
    Images

Nashville vs Roanoke? nope.... too far.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

My husband and I are looking forward to the dinner. Count us in!
    "Happy" when hiking. aka hwh

Images

hmmmmmm sounds fun.

Images

Crazy as it sounds, I was planning on hiking somewhere that weekend - I might just road trip up there. I have a bed / platform in the back of my truck (gear stows underneath). Can I camp in your driveway Rainman?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Red Hat View Post
    I offered to speak about either one, and Rain Man thought more folks in TN would be interested in the AT. I have a lot more AT miles than JMT miles... about 3500 AT miles compared to 200+ JMT miles. Of course, the JMT is the perfect trail. The AT is more of a love/hate relationship....
    Having hiked portions of the JMT I had rather hear about your trip on it vs the AT
    Conquest: It is not the Mountain we conquer but Ourselves

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sierra Echo View Post
    hmmmmmm sounds fun.
    It is fun, SE! Come on up. Several of us owe you big time for your food delivery services and slackpacking shuttle on the Foothills Trail. I'm sure any of us would be happy to return the favor by putting you up, if you need a place.

RainMan

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++