WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Default Should I put a top hat on my pack?

I don't know if it has a specific name, but I'm talking about the lid on packs that have the little zipper compartment. Yeah, it keeps water from flowing directly into the pack, but should I put one on my DIY pack? Any opinions? If only to show my mad sewing skilz?

Images

yes you should.

Images

no, you shouldnt.

Images

Maybe, maybe not.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Images

OK, serious answer. I always had a top lid pocket, aka the "brain." Then I tested a pack that didn't have one, and I had a lot of anxiety about where I would keep all the little stuff needed during the day. As it turns out, the main reason to have a lid pocket is because getting inside the pack is so difficult because - wait for it - the lid pocket is in the way. No lid pocket = easy access to the pack = keep the little stuff in a small ditty bag in the top of the pack.

Now all the packs I have used recently have big outside mesh pockets for stuff, and no lid pockets.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Roll-top closure is way easier to make. Well, okay, that's just a guess.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

A top lid is handy for storing small, fragile items which may need to be accessed quickly while hiking (or at camp). True, you could put the same items (electronics is what I was thiniking, or spare eyeglasses) in the front (which is actually the back, if you think about it) pocket, but whenever you set your pack down, that's usually the side of the pack that ends up against the ground.

YES, do the top lid, with a pocket. You'll be glad you did.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

I think a top lid is unnecessary and just adds weight. In fact before going "light-weight", I went on several trips with the top lid removed from my Gregory Whitney pack to save some weight. I now carry a Gossamer Gear pack with a roll up top. I keep the stuff I need during the day in the outside mesh pockets, in the cargo pockets on my pants and in a fairly small zip-up pouch attached to my hip belt. I really don't like having to get into my pack for anything during the day's hike.

think about if you will need the space to pack small items in that compartment, raingear and day food are good for these. If not, go for a roll top, they are waterproof and really fun to sew. I did this for a pair of bike panniers i made once. Later I attached a single sheet of plastic tarp to make the bags even more waterproof.

I would love to see some pics of what your working on

My Granite Gear Vapor Trail pack came with both an internal "ditty bag" and The Lid. Because I am thick as a brick, I didn't quite grasp what The Lid was during my first couple of trips, and I was able to get used to a lidless pack. With that said, I really like being able to access small items without rummaging through my pack. The last time out, I had so many add-on pouches for my belt and straps that it looked as if I had stolen Batman's utility belt. Your mileage may vary. Of course, if I had mad sewing skillz, I would certainly show them off.

Images

If I can figure out how to post pics.... for now, I think I'll do the roll top and if I really miss the top hat, I'll put one on later.

Personally I like the option of a lid. I think a way "to have your lid and lose it too" is to make a lid that is removable with four pieces of webbing that would tie or snap into webbing buckles that attach to the lid.

If you made the lid a certain way it could double as a hip pack for carrying money, rain jacket, sundries, sunglasses, lunch for day hikes. I think in the future there will be some pack manufacturing company that makes lids as accesories to their packs, along with a variety of other "components" so that a pack could be accesorized for varying conditions.

But components or no...I need the organizational advantages of a lid, made of incredibly light materials, so that I have a place to stash my wallet, toothbrush, headlamp, dental floss, razor, soap, lighter, matches, coins, advil, small candle lantern, reading material. I unsnap the lid and pick up my water bottle when I go to my tent for the night. All those goodies are there---I brush my teeth outside the tent, move into the tent and no rummaging for virtually everything I need for the night and the next morning when lighting the stove. The pack I usually leave with my footwear in a vestibule. Works for me and I have added a couple extra cubic centimeters to my ULA Circuit with a lid off an old mountainsmith pack. I wouldn't have it any other way. So, I'd make a detachable lid if I were you.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

You should put a top hat on your pack only if it's going out in white tie and tails.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

And like a fool, I hit 'post' without posting the link to the picture of the guy with the top hat on his pack.

(Seriously - this group of ladies wants to raise money for charity by hiking all 35 of the Catskill high peaks in ball gowns. Keep track of their progress at http://gowns4greenbacks.wordpress.com/.)

Images

Much more useful/convenient are hip/shoulder belt pockets. As others have said, a gallon size ziplock serves as my office with paper/map/guide/pen. This just slides into the front of the pack at the top, or an outside pocket - real easy to get to and remove on break. Wallet is another quart ziplock with money/credit card/ID/insurance card. This stays in a hip pocket when I'm wearing the pack, in a secure shorts pocket when about town. Do not carry this in a pocket with out a secure closure, lost valuable items that way. Plastic ziplock slides out of nylon shorts pocket REAL easy.

AT 2012

This is really a hiker philosophy question. If you are ultralightish you don't need it and it is a really easy place to save a few ounces. Not concerned so much, it is a nice convenience. I'd say leave it off and leave behind half of what you'd put in it.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    Lazarus

Images

Default Pack is DONE!

I'm happy with the pack, can't wait to try it out on the trail. The daisy chain is along the back, bungee on one side, and a stretchy pocket on the other side. I put the stretchy material on the hip belt also. It doesn't have a closure, but it will be fine for small items. I am a little nervous about the comfort. I am so used to my osprey pack being kept off of my back. This one will have my sit pad inside to give the pack its structure. What doest thou think?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Journal Entries
    Images

Quick weigh in - I like the function of a top pocket that I use a lot, I like the mini fanny pack like pocket on the belt. Not necessary so why not have a mini zip to zip it on and off?
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

cool pack nutbrown..

Looks cool, I had been thinking about making a custom lid for a while but then I found out that the top of my compresion sack worked perfectly, and it had a zipper pocket already built in. Lost about 7 oz or so. Still could lose more weight if I made a custom but considering its only 5 oz as is and I didnt have to do any work I am pretty happy.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++