WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Gonna Food-Save some Nutella. Is this trouble in the making?

I picked up some Nutella and rather put it in some squeeze packs than carry the whole jar on an upcoming backpacking trip. Will it be easy to use the Food Saver with Nutella?

Images

I'm not familiar with Food-Saver vacuum sealing personally, but if I were going to use it for Nutella, I'd be a little worried about it squeezing out when the machine is pulling the vacuum on the package. One way you could possibly get around that is by chilling the Nutella before you seal? Scoop it into the bag as normal, press it into a form that will make it easy to pack, and put it in the fridge (or a bowl of ice) for a little while to make it hard?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by RWheeler View Post
    I'm not familiar with Food-Saver vacuum sealing personally, but if I were going to use it for Nutella, I'd be a little worried about it squeezing out when the machine is pulling the vacuum on the package. One way you could possibly get around that is by chilling the Nutella before you seal? Scoop it into the bag as normal, press it into a form that will make it easy to pack, and put it in the fridge (or a bowl of ice) for a little while to make it hard?
    If you've never used a Food-Saver why are you commenting on it? I've used it for peanut butter, you do not have to chill it, peanut butter really isn't a liquid so, "the machine does not squeeze it out" during the vacuum seal process. It works perfectly fine straight out of the jar, you do not have to get it hard! Anyway....it works fine, Just cut the corner off and squeeze it out when you use it. The only problem for me hiking solo was I couldn't get the "packages" small enough, I had way too much peanut butter for a single serving, then you kinda had to double zip-lock it for later.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by doritotex View Post
    If you've never used a Food-Saver why are you commenting on it?
    Just because I've never used it doesn't mean my ideas for using it are completely useless. I stated that I'm not familiar with it, so if what I suggest doesn't fit with what the product does, then clearly its merit is lost. Either way, it's possibly an option or angle of thought that the OP may not have considered. I was simply providing a work-around for an issue that could possibly be faced.

Quote Originally Posted by doritotex View Post
    If you've never used a Food-Saver why are you commenting on it? I've used it for peanut butter, you do not have to chill it, peanut butter really isn't a liquid so, "the machine does not squeeze it out" during the vacuum seal process. It works perfectly fine straight out of the jar, you do not have to get it hard! Anyway....it works fine, Just cut the corner off and squeeze it out when you use it. The only problem for me hiking solo was I couldn't get the "packages" small enough, I had way too much peanut butter for a single serving, then you kinda had to double zip-lock it for later.
    Just because someone hasn't used a foodsaver doesn't mean their input is invalid. It's actually a good idea, and would have all sorts of useful applications with any food product that was a liquid.

With Nutella, one jar = one serving, does it not?
    ~~
    Allen "Monkeywrench" Freeman
    NOBO 3-18-09 - 9-27-09
    blog.allenf.com
    [email protected]
    www.allenf.com

Quote Originally Posted by Monkeywrench View Post
    With Nutella, one jar = one serving, does it not?
    Is this a "thruhiker specific" thread?

If so, you're absolutely right. (I get three servings of it at home from a jar ).
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Images

I love the idea of chilling the nutella then vacuum sealing. Curious about how long it would last. Guess this concept would work for peanut butter too. But, then again the plastic container the nutella is sold in isn't very heavy, just bulky when empty.
    Start a huge foolish project, like Noah. It makes absolutely no difference what people think of you.----Rumi

You can buy plastic containers in any size you want. I got mine at REI but you can get them many places. I'd use one of those rather than mess around with a vacuum sealer or a squeeze tube (which is a disaster waiting to happen).

Georgetown, South Carolina, United States
    Images

This is what I bought instead. Yes, I have a dehydrator and a food saver. I just thought this was easier and would last longer.
    http://www.amazon.com/Barney-Butter-...6229982&sr=8-2
    Everyone's first question:
    "Wow - How tall are you?"
    Answer: "I'm 6'6""
    Ergo, my trail name: 'Six-Six'

Images

I thought the "chilling" suggestion was good idea.
    Start a huge foolish project, like Noah. It makes absolutely no difference what people think of you.----Rumi

I have had Nutella freeze ,even on a warm 30 degree night. --be careful it was like a rock and I was having a fit!

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

I just toss the container in my food bag. Won't explode, fail, etc.

Journal Entries

Personally I don't think packaging it in food savers bags would be worth the effort or the expense of the bag for the calories you get out of it. Find a recipe that will be more cost effective. http://kirbiecravings.com/2012/02/fl...-mug-cake.html

Just Sayin I do have experience with the food saver vacuum sealer.
    I start out the Day with nothing and by the end of the Day I still have most of it.

Images

Just get a screw top container - re-use an old peanut butter type jar (I save ALL my jars like this for the trail) -- I have a "food saver" machine -- it's so/so useful for backpacking - wouldn't use it for Nutella though

++ New Posts ++