WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Backpack Weight

Default Backpack Weight

Hey I was wondering what an average backpack weight for a through hike of the JMT would be. I don't want to be ultra light, but I don't want to be too weighted down either. What's a good average number of pounds?

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I'm aiming for 30 with the bear canister and snow gear, but it will likely be a little more.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

what's an average base weight without food and clothes on back?

the "average" will be somewhere between 20 and 50 pounds, depending on who you talk to.

Mine was 35+ pounds last year, 53 pounds last week on Whitney with winter gear and just 4 days of food.

My wife and I are hiking the JMT this summer. Our aim is to get her pack weight around 15lbs before food and water and mine around 20lbs before food and water.
    Schnikel

My baseweight for when I hiked the JMT section of the PCT in late June '09 was ~16lbs with the bear can. That also included 1.5lbs for a camcorder. But I was one of those Tarp people. I've been told we are different from normal folk.

The tarp people will have a lot of fun this "summer" - especially in June. Make sure the tarp is large enough so you can build a raft from it.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by schnikel View Post
    My wife and I are hiking the JMT this summer. Our aim is to get her pack weight around 15lbs before food and water and mine around 20lbs before food and water.
    Schnikel
    That is exactly what we are planning on.

I am carrying our tent, out bear can, kitchen and steri pen. totaling about 9 pounds. I did a shake down fun and came up with a base of 19 - 21 lbs before consumable depending on details.

she will carry more cloths and colder sleeping bag because she is small and gets cold. also after the Muir ranch she will need to carry a bear can as well. I dont think I can fit 110 miles worth of food for the two of us in 1 bear can.

I want to never carry more than 30 with the possible exception of after the Muir ranch.
    "you cant grow old if you never grow up" ~TUswm

Aiming for base weight of 15lbs or less.

Default weight

"I don't want to be ultra light"

why not? you can do so much more with less. If you are coming from non-lightweight backpacking 15lbs base is a good target to shoot for(or try 13 not including bear can). you should check out some ultralight sites like backpackinglight.com to get some ideas on how to lighten up. there is a gear lists section where you can get an idea on how people achieve those base weights

You might find this gear list to be a helpful guide:

http://www.andrewskurka.com/SHR08/gearlist.php

Images

My base weight was 20 pounds during my 2008 JMT and 16 pounds during my 2010 JMT. You'll see everything from sub-10 pounds packs to 70+ pound packs. All depends on what you want to bring with you on your hike.

My base weight in 2009 was approximately 21 pounds.
    This summer I am aiming for sub 15 pounds.

Most of my weight savings are from my big 4.

12.6lbs without the BV450 so 14.7 with it, and I carry a three season tent & rain gear. Becoming UL is the easiest thing about backpacking, all it takes is $$$! Last year I had a 22lb base weight and I had trouble doing 20’s but this year 20’s were the norm and even threw some 30 miles days in as well, good luck on your UL adventure.

When I hiked it my pack weight with food and water included was 32 lbs after each resupply....

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ndwoods View Post
    When I hiked it my pack weight with food and water included was 32 lbs after each resupply....
    At the muir trail ranch both of our packs over doubled in weight.
    "you cant grow old if you never grow up" ~TUswm

It depends. If I were hiking the JMT, I would probably have 12-14 pounds plus food and water. Going south, the last half of the JMT is often done without resupply, so that can be a pretty good chunk of food weight.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

My base weight for this summer's SOBO JMT hike with bear canister - no food or water - is 15.7 lbs...still considering adding another lb of luxury items

I have seen people with base weighs between 9-40 lbs. Mine is 20.

Just ran my gear through GearGrams. Should be around 13 - 14 lbs with the canister. Heaviest non-essential item is my camera, which is a huge reason I'm even taking the trip in the first place, so it has to come. Beyond that is an inflatable, which I think might be a good idea if we end up on some well-worn / rocky campsites that are just too nice to pass up.

And honestly, I still feel like it should be less!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++