WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: How is my Load?

Totally serious. Don't trample on my delusions.

Quote Originally Posted by q-tip:1256451
    You have to be kidding??????

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf:1256458
    Quote Originally Posted by rastraikis View Post
    Between walking 25 miles, hunting big game with a pellet gun and being bitten by snakes I don't think I can justify the time or weight of Jenga. But I will take the ax.

As long as you take the axe, you can make your own Jenga if you decide you need it.
    Thank you for the suggestion. Should be safe cutting very small blocks with an axe.

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57:1256463
    i just knew that axe would come in handy
    I just knew I would get handy advise here on whiteblaze! I was going to add ten pounds of Cheddar cheese in case I can't kill dinner. Is this a good idea?

You'll need to carry a bear canister in that Georgia section. Why not just fill it with some red pickled eggs? Tell the folks at Neels Gap you want a lower bunk when you get there.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by rastraikis View Post
    I just knew I would get handy advise here on whiteblaze! I was going to add ten pounds of Cheddar cheese in case I can't kill dinner. Is this a good idea?
    its a great idea, and you can use the cheese to lure in shelter mice(now wheres that ax?), which go very well with red pickled eggs.

Images

I'd get rid of that MSR cookset and replace it with either a 12" black iron skillet or 6 qt. Dutch oven.
    Let no one be deluded that a knowledge of the path can substitute for putting one foot in front of the other.
    —M. C. Richards

I don't like pickled eggs. I hope a bear comes. That's food!

Quote Originally Posted by Spokes:1256475
    You'll need to carry a bear canister in that Georgia section. Why not just fill it with some red pickled eggs? Tell the folks at Neels Gap you want a lower bunk when you get there.

Quote Originally Posted by chiefiepoo View Post
    I'd get rid of that MSR cookset and replace it with either a 12" black iron skillet or 6 qt. Dutch oven.
    Why not both? I love fried eggs and grits--you'll need them both have both hot at the same time!

How much does cast iron weigh? I'm trying to go ultralight.

Quote Originally Posted by chiefiepoo:1256494

This is utterly ridiculous!

What type of enjoyable trek are you going to have without a decent portable grill? And don’t forget good briquettes for awesome seasoned meats.

I would also suggest a portable DVD player and some of your favorite movies. Sometimes after a long day it’s nice to curl up to a good movie.

And a few rolls of pennies are good too for the occasional pond wish and such.

Happy trails!

Images

has wheels too:

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Hey guys, I'm planning on swimming the English channel this spring, can I post my list of swim gear on this thread?
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    Hey guys, I'm planning on swimming the English channel this spring, can I post my list of swim gear on this thread?
    its been done. if you want to impress us, try jumping the channel!

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    its been done. if you want to impress us, try jumping the channel!

What kind of gear would I need?

Images

seinfelds kramer has a great set of sneaker jump training shoes.a full tank of helium strapped to your back will help.and if you can find flubber, bring it. mail drops are close to non existant on the channel.
    oh yeah, you'll need the "channel guide":http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qvk2wNWmB20

I hate to tip you over your weight limit, but I didn't see any ear plugs on your list.

Oh, there's an idea! Noise cancelling headset from Sony. They have a decent offering for under $150 too! We all know how the sounds of a slow brook, birds, or even the wind can get overly annoying at times. These quality headsets will block all that out!

Much better to cut down a fresh pine tree. It gives a nice smoky flavor. Charcoal is utterly ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Winds:1256502
    This is utterly ridiculous!

What type of enjoyable trek are you going to have without a decent portable grill? And don’t forget good briquettes for awesome seasoned meats.

I would also suggest a portable DVD player and some of your favorite movies. Sometimes after a long day it’s nice to curl up to a good movie.

And a few rolls of pennies are good too for the occasional pond wish and such.

Happy trails!

this is the funniest post i have ever read, certainly better than Dilbert...and for goodness sake, Doonesberry was always to high falutin for me...think i will cut and paste this and submit it to Salon.com or the 400 million dollar blog Rupert Murdock bought from Arianna Huffington that keeps popping up in my email, the social media is so desperate to know what toothpaste we prefer...i will be so glad to get on the AT so Facebook and Twitter will quit pestering...

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by RORY CALHOUN View Post
    ...i will be so glad to get on the AT so Facebook and Twitter will quit pestering...
    I hate to admit this, but the Internet is often an addiction. Lots of us have found ourselves logging onto Facebook and white blaze from the comfort of an A.T. Shelter...

Maybe you'll be smarter than me and keep the smartphone off your packing list.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++