WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Do I really need a XXXX ?
    sometime you do...
    xxxx.jpg

Just proves that i'm not UL
    Why am I a wizard?? Thats simple...I am where the trail magic is...

Images

Funny the number of non-UL folks that comment in a UL forum against basic UL principles. I also find it interesting the perception that UL folks are all wet, cold, tired, hungry and miserable. The OP is correct, there is a difference between need and want. So take all you want, I have what I need.

It all depends if you want a treat or a treatment. It's your call.

You're gonna spend 150 or so nights on the trail, two or three, maybe even half a dozen will be below freezing. Does it make sense to carry a 20 degree three pound bag?

gg-man
    Funny the number of non-UL folks that comment in a UL forum against basic UL principles

You are right and in fact I have used that line myself several times in the last few years in this very forum ...
    The funny thing is that 5-10 years ago the stuff I use was considered UL and right in this forum (the UL forum) people were discussing the merits of 8lbs tents (as a solo shelter...) and 6 lbs packs and the gear people like me use was often claimed to be dangerous and irresponsible...
    But things do change and that is why I invented the "light and comfy category".
    In the end I think it is about hiking smarter and finding your minimum level of comfort.
    That of course tends to change as you age and you get used/exposed to other stuff.
    BTW, a lot if not most of the stuff discussed here is really LW not UL anyway...
    Franco

hehehe I like that!

Ounces are the little-death

Quote Originally Posted by gg-man View Post
    Funny the number of non-UL folks that comment in a UL forum against basic UL principles.

Seriously. Are they just reading this forum to complain? I have no idea why someone would go onto an UL forum and argue with UL ideas.

NOBO toBennington, VT plus 187 mi in MH & ME
    Images

And that , my friends, kind of summarizes the whole ultralight thing (for me at least)

Most of us started out with 40+ lbs on our backs and exclaimed "HOLY SHIFT!! This is heavy!"

Then we began to sort and eliminate. The true ultralighters are willing to go a lot closer to the edge than I.
    Grinder
    AT hiker : It's the journey, not the destination

Quote Originally Posted by ScottS View Post
    Seriously. Are they just reading this forum to complain? I have no idea why someone would go onto an UL forum and argue with UL ideas.
    No, many of us just find UL to be hilarious. Everyone balances having too much weight with being completely UL.
    Sooner or later everyone comes across a UL who is extremely uncomfortable. I usually help and it adds to an enjoyable trail experience. Hike on ULers, you rock.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Jay View Post
    Sooner or later everyone comes across a UL who is extremely uncomfortable.

Correction, sooner or later everyone comes across someone who is completely unprepared. There is a difference.

Most of the ones that look uncomfortable to me (or that make it clear they are...) are the guys carrying those full 80l plus packs.
    Very occasionally I come across UL guys that bolt towards the next refuge because their tiny tarp is not up to it or something like that, but here is the point, they can bolt towards...
    (BTW, this is in Australia not the AT)
    I'm just aiming for something in between.
    Franco

AT 2012

clearly, there are different levels of ULers. There are beginning UL A ers, intermediate UL B ers, and then, ultimately, there are UL C ERS!
    Lazarus

yes , those Ul Cers can be a real pain...

Quote Originally Posted by Firefighter503 View Post
    Correction, sooner or later everyone comes across someone who is completely unprepared. There is a difference.
    Ok so what your telling me is because I use a tarp, sleep in a quilt ,use an alky stove and fosters can pot ,and use a frameless pack I'm unprepared?
    I would much rather have a pack weight of 16 lbs including consumables for 3 days in the winter than 30+ and might I add that I am very comfy during the day and at night as well.. you can have your 40 # pack and you laptops and phones as well.. Wow look that guy just pulled a queen size air mat form his pack! Oh but wait there's more! Direct tv no way!

Ounces are the little-death

Woflie, Firefighter is on our side. I think you misread. It's the guy he was replying to that's ignorant.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Jay View Post
    No, many of us just find UL to be hilarious. Everyone balances having too much weight with being completely UL.
    Sooner or later everyone comes across a UL who is extremely uncomfortable. I usually help and it adds to an enjoyable trail experience. Hike on ULers, you rock.
    I am still pretty new to it all...but I have yet to come across a backpacker that is uncomfortable because they are "UL" and do not have what they need...however, I have come across a few backpackers that are the exact opposite of UL (read: heavy weight) and still do not have what they need...

I think that Grinder said it well:

Most of use started out with 40+ lbs on our backs and exclaimed "HOLY SHIFT!! This is heavy!" Then we began to sort and eliminate.
    This is where we all differ I think...of course we all want a total pack weight of 5 lbs and yet still be able to pull anything that we want/need out of that 5 lb pack. That just don't happen though...so I feel like at this point we all make compromises that are driven by money, time actually spent on the trail and our personal preferences...

True there are some extremist out there, and some will admit that at a point it can become uncomfortable, but we are talking about people with less than 2 lb base weights. This is far from "UL" weights though...so apples to oranges, IMO...

At times I would consider myself to be a "UL" hiker. I am leaving for a trip tomorrow with a base weight just under 10 lbs and this set-up will keep me comfy down to 10 F. But I have tested my gear on prior hikes, and initially in my own yard (easy bail out if something doesn't work out) so I am very confident in this set-up. And I do not feel like I am leaving any of my comfort items behind...I have extra sleep clothes, a spacious, fully enclosed tent, an air pad and a ccf pad, a true 15 F bag, enough clothing for 5 layers up top...anyway, you get the idea...
    ...take nothing but memories and pictures, leave nothing but footprints, and kill only time... (Bette Filley in Discovering the Wonders of the Wonderland Trail)

Quote Originally Posted by ScottS View Post
    Woflie, Firefighter is on our side. I think you misread. It's the guy he was replying to that's ignorant.
    Thank you Scott.

And for the record, here is my current list: http://www.geargrams.com/list?id=6164

Comes in right at about 11.9 lbs, with my 13.7 oz crocs included (trying to drop them, but I love them so much haha).

Yeah I realized that after I fired my shot...:-( sorry....
    But anyways anyone who has a SUL , UL or light weight kit has for the most part has done extensive testing. Whether it was back yard or a camp ground.. I think when it comes to being unprepared it's more so a brain fart that particular person had when they were packing their bag (forgetting something)..
    But wait there more

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    now it makes sense. I missed a word somewhere.
    do you UL people ever plan for something to go wrong or break? just asking.
    No need to as you can just yogi from the more prepared.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++