WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Couple of big questions for people experienced with the CDT

1. Is mileage extremely import ant on the CDT? Can you get away with being a slow poke or is it a problem if you don't hike 17 miles a day?
    2. How much does it cost overall assuming you don't use hotels or eat out?
    3. No doubt a dumb question but is there enough wood material along the trail to collect for wood stove use?
    4. More of a personal preference question but how boring is the CDT? A lot of pictures I see of it are of desserts and barren land. Is there a lot of uphill or no?
    5. Anything else specific about the CDT that requires different planning or such than the AT?
    Pretty sure I had a question or 2 more but I'll think of them.

Please stick to the questions I posted I'm tired of getting trolled or bashed on these forums and derailing my threads. TY

1/ do the math: the CDT is from 2600-3,000 miles and your window is aprox 5 1/2 months
    2/ $2-3 a mile, just like any trail.
    3/ Yes (the Bedoin's in the middle east live off of wood fires in some of the driest parts of the world)
    4/Depends on what you call boring. Have you hiked any other long distance trails? Did you find them boring?
    5/ Better know how to read a map and follow a compass bearing (or GPS)
    Better know how to find water in the desert.
    Know how to go over a barbed wire fence
    Realize you will be alone for much of the hike. (OK, haven't hiked it since 2002 but, that's my experience)

Better hike another trail first. Too much can go wrong on the CDT and no help nearby. Ask David Horton
    Best to have some experience in these things (above)
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Thanks whats with the barbed wire fence? lol

Images

The CDT crossed a lot of private land as well as fenced Bureau of Land Management Land (BLM). There are hundreds of barbed wire fence crossings.
    By the way, the rule of thumb is to leave a gate the way you found it.
    I was told by a few ranchers on the CDT that they like hikers but suspected them of leaving fence gates open or closing gates meant to be left open.
    In reality the poor condition of the fences and their gates are most likely the true reason. you will laugh at some of the ridiculously dilapidated barbed wire fences on the CDT.
    As to being bored... That is one thing I never felt on the CDT. I saw more animals in one day on the CDT than in 5 months on the PCT. There are more Pronghorn Antelope, Elk, and Wild Horses on the CDT in Wyoming than People!
    I totally agree with Fiddlehead's post above.
    The CDT traverses the backbone of the continent. There is plenty of jar dropping scenery.
    Yet some of the "barren" landscape such as the Basin Divide in Wyoming holds incredible wildlife that are easily seen because there are absoultely no trees anywhere. When i saw there are no trees I mean NONE. That is why after climbing over so many mountains on the CDT you finally reach this barren place called the Basin Divide and it is utterly stark and beautiful in a different way. It is windy as hell. Water is scarce. But this is the reward, Wildlife exposed:
    CDT2010 984.jpgCDT2010 988.jpgCDT2010 977.jpg

New Mexico has is desert river canyons and varied mountains. Colorado has it's high alpine landscape where the average altitude of the CDT is 11,000 ft through the whole state. Wyoming has it's stark landscape full of wildlife, enigmatic Wind River Range and Yellowstone. Montana has it's long river valleys and sculpted limestone peaks.
    Sorry for the thread drift here. I am getting misty eyed.
    What ever you do, or how ever you hike, you cannot go wrong on the CDT.
    Last edited by Iceaxe; 02-23-2012 at 02:01. Reason: add pictures
    Headed in to town.. You gotta rock the down! -fellow hikers mantra

Sweet One thing I'm interested in knowing though. 2-3$ a mile is pretty steep for a 3k mile hike, does that exclude hotels and eat outs? Is it possible to do a CDT thru on $500 a month?

Images

Anything is possible. I met people that hiked the PCT on $3,000 not including gear. On the CDT most hikers spend between 3,500 and $5,000 dollars average. It also depends on how fast you hike.
    If you are planning to hike the whole trail at 17 miles per day for $500 a month that would be more expensive than hiking 22 miles per day on $500 a month since you would finish sooner.
    What ever plans you make my advice is to be flexible. Have enough extra cash just in case your plan of 500 a month becomes un-workable.
    I spent about $10 per day for trail food I bought as i went through towns. When i got to a town i spent about $50 bucks on meals even if it was a nearo day (short miles in). On zero days i spent radically more on food while in town.
    Headed in to town.. You gotta rock the down! -fellow hikers mantra

Thanks a lot. It's nice to get straight info for once on these forums, appreciate it.

"Anything else specific about the CDT that requires different planning or such than the AT?"
    A better comparison is with the PCT. The CDT and the AT are pretty different experiences, with the PCT sort of in between.
    There are lots of things that are different. A more limited time frame for a thru-hiker due to snow (either NOBO or SOBO). Dealing with snow (ice axe, that sort of thing). Navigation is tougher and a bigger factor. Lots of route options, not just one white blazed trail to easily follow. High elevation. Tougher weather extremes. And more.

You might poke around and look for some general purpose stuff about the CDT, as these are pretty basic questions. For example, try Mags summary: http://www.pmags.com/a-quick-and-dirty-cdt-guide
    Gadget
    PCT: 2008 NOBO, AT: 2010 NOBO, CDT: 2011 SOBO, PNT: 2014+2016

Here's another question. How much rain does the CDT get compared to the AT?

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

This doc I wrote may help:
    http://www.pmags.com/a-quick-and-dirty-cdt-guide

As for scenery?

ALL the states are awesome.

New Mexico:

CO:

Wyo:

ID:

MT:

Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Garlic
    Images

Wood fires are often illegal in fire season in the Western states. Hike there in a dry year and you'll find out why.

Boredom is often superseded by navigation challenges. And looking for that next windmill. Personally I was never bored.

There are stretches of hill climbing in CO and MT that will hand your butt to you--right, Mags?

Better go out there ready to hike more than 17s on average. You'd have to be real lucky with weather to make it on 17s.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Man, I can hardly wait to go and do Montana / Idaho this summer myself!
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Rather than trying to do the entire trail on the cheap, why not just plan on hiking half of one year and the other half another. There are few hostels and towns are further from the trail so you're going to lose time. Hiking only 17 mpd won't allow for any days off and you're going to need a few. If you're able to hike 19-20 you have a chance of completing in one season. However, if you only have $2500 you're really best off hiking only half the trail. You'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Man, I can hardly wait to go and do Montana / Idaho this summer myself!
    ****ing jealous.

Quote Originally Posted by garlic08 View Post
    There are stretches of hill climbing in CO and MT that will hand your butt to you--right, Mags?
    Esp. in the Lincoln area.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Garlic
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    Rather than trying to do the entire trail on the cheap, why not just plan on hiking half of one year and the other half another. There are few hostels and towns are further from the trail so you're going to lose time. Hiking only 17 mpd won't allow for any days off and you're going to need a few. If you're able to hike 19-20 you have a chance of completing in one season. However, if you only have $2500 you're really best off hiking only half the trail. You'll see.
    Excellent advice.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Though I thru-hiked the CDT, I think in terms of seeing the trail at optimum conditions, a two part section hike is the way to go.

Unless you are exceedingly lucky with weather, some compromises have to be made to take lower routes on the CDT during a normal thru-hike season (San Juans and Glacier in particular).

A two part section hike will let the hiker not only go at a slower pace but also have a greater chance to hit the highlights of the CDT without having to take alternate routes.

If (when?) I did the CDT again, that's how I would do it.

So if limited finances and desire to do a slower pace is your plan, take Sly's advice and do a two-part CDT hike.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti

I see, I'll take that into account. I'm more about the substance than the "prettiness", is it theoretically possible to take your time and just tough it up through the winter if it hits (assuming you are technically prepared for it) or is it just too dangerous?

Quote Originally Posted by djcoin View Post
    I see, I'll take that into account. I'm more about the substance than the "prettiness", is it theoretically possible to take your time and just tough it up through the winter if it hits (assuming you are technically prepared for it) or is it just too dangerous?
    Could be. The Highline Trail in Glacier is not entirely open until roughly mid-July for hiking. You'll need an ice axe and crampons to traverse the Cattle Queen and Ahern Drift.

In the San Juans, besides being much snow, could have very high avalanche danger this year in May.

If you hit Glacier or San Juans with winter conditions (not just a lot of snow), you are pushing the envelope with typical lightweight backpacking gear.

Going through 3 ft of fresh snow in the San Juans with trail runners ain't fun. Trust me.

Plus with lots of snow, traveling is a lot slower (postholing anyone?) and more difficult navigation. How well can you read a map? Do you have experience backpacking in the cold weather? "Toughing it out" means more than, well, being tough. Winter backpacking in the high country is a different beast. Or are you willing to take a LOT lower routes just to say you hiked the CDT? (Most people have to take a lower route here or there during a thru-hike be it due to snow or fires. ...Take too long though and you may be road walking all through northern Montana. )

Finally, not trying to be argumentative...but what do you mean by substance vs prettiness?
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti

By substance vs prettiness I mean ups downs, interesting/challenging terrain, etc. I like a challenge.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++