WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default SOBO. Baxter and shuttle?

I was wondering if anyone has used a kennel in Millinocket or close by that I could board my pup in while going through Baxter. I'm trying to figure out the final details of how to get him from the airport, to the kennel, and then a simple way to pick him up after the park. Any advice or ideas?

Thanks,

Turner

Quote Originally Posted by Turner View Post
    I was wondering if anyone has used a kennel in Millinocket or close by that I could board my pup in while going through Baxter. I'm trying to figure out the final details of how to get him from the airport, to the kennel, and then a simple way to pick him up after the park. Any advice or ideas?

Thanks,

Turner
    Call the AT Lodge in Millinocket, I'm certain they have dealt with getting dogs from Bangor to Millinocket. Kennels are also listed in the Companion, AWOL's guide, and on the BSP website.
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Hi,

Any luck finding a kennel? I have the same question for 2013 thru-hike.

I went south from there in 2010. "Ole Man" at the AT Lodge, in Millinocket, turned me on to a woman in town that kennels dogs for hikers (I don't recall her name). I went to visit her "kennel". She just kept the dogs loose in her house, and I don't know her qualifications other than being a dog lover (and profiteer). She had a plywood board separating the laundry room where we were talking when a small dog just slipped right through. There were bottles of cleaning products on the floor right next to the dog food that any dog could have gotten to. I didn't feel comfortable with it so I scratched the idea and just took my dog south with me. At the time, she was the only game in town.
    Make sure you ask questions and/or visit the place if you can.

After that, when I was in Monson, I bought some dog food from a little, privately owned place in town. I don't remember if it was the Monson General store or somewhere else nearby. He sold Alpo only ( it said), and it was repackaged in zip-lok bags. My dog got very sick (hospitalized, almost died...really!!) within a day or two of eating that. I cannot confirm the cause, just suspicion. She did recover well.
    Be very careful. Good luck!

Baxter's website has contact info for a kennel

Dirty Nails, how did you dog do on MT. Katahdin. I know your dog is a service dog from another post.

++ New Posts ++