WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Images

Default Help me pick the right breed!

Hey guys,

I am looking to get a dog that will enjoy the trail in the future! I've done some research and narrowed it down to a few different choices. Keep in mind, I live in PA so we both hot summers and cold blustry winters. I have been having troubles finding a dog that won't freeze in the winter but can handle the heat of the summer. Also, aesthetically I prefer a dog that has a more robust build, but I am open to suggestions. Something that's categorized in the medium or large size would be perfect. Here are a few of my favorites:

(Keep in mind, a rescued mutt with any of these breeds would be perfect if I can find one - just staying away from pitbulls!)

-Rottweiler (smart, strong, heard they tend to overheat...., protective, not sure how they are in the cold)
    -Siberian Husky (loyal dog who can handle the winter, worried about the summer heat - I suppose you can shave them)
    -Newfoundland (big strong dog! affectionate and loyal....also a furry guy who I don't know how he'd fare in the summer)
    -Translvania hound (this is a newer breed to the US, seems to be a beefy hound - cool look, great nose)
    -Alaskan Malamute (same as the husky, just bigger!)
    -Native American Indian Dog (looks like a wolf, seems to be a good balance of short/long hair, very intelligent)
    -Mastiff (big dog, great personality)
    -Vizsla (very obedient, energetic, glued to your side)
    -Dalmatian (sweet looking dog)

As you can see I am all over the place. Mainly, I want a larger dog with the energy to be outside for extended periods of time. To add, I'd like him or her to be hardy enough to handle PAs fluctuating climate.

I would really like to rescue a dog. Right now I have a cat that I rescued and she's the sweetest cat (very friendly and dog-like). However, it seems like all the local rescues mainly house pitbulls. I have researched some Rottie rescues, but they only have dogs occasionally.

Thanks!!

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

I've got a rescue German Shepherd approximagely 5-8 years old and I can't imagine a better trail dog. Stays right with me, doesn't run off the trail, doesn't bark or growl at strangers and behaves very well with other dogs.

If we walk up to a shelter and people are there I can unleash him and he doesn't bother anyone or their gear.

He's gentle as he can be - I doubt he'd make a good guard dog - but he scores big points for friendliness every time he meets someone.

I hit it very big with Drake.

p.s. I love my dog....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by 10-K; 02-12-2012 at 19:26.

I love Pit Bulls and they do get an undeserved bad rap, however, even if you know the truth, that they are loving, loyal, protective dogs who will do anything you ask of them, other people don't always know that which can cause you headaches, nevermind the breed bans you may run into.

So...have you considered a border collie type? They have crazy energy and need a job and hiking the AT might be the perfect job. Coat dries quickly and long hair can actually insulate against heat as well as cold, FYI, but they might try to herd everybody on the trail if not well trained and controlled.

Labs are used regularly for service dogs and can also be active, energetic dogs.

Understand that every breed has its own variations of personalities, energy levels, intelligence, and genetic defects. You might want to do some good research, or even better, go to some shelters (you can search online-try petfinder), meet some dogs and take them on hiking outings to see whether they even like hiking. They each have their own personality and temperament and I'd say more important than breed is their energy level, stamina, willingness to please you, trainability (this is actually more about whether you are an effective trainer) and health. As in, get whatever dog you adopt checked by a vet before heading on a long hike and after. Consider that you'll need to do preventative flea and tick treatments and maybe heartworm prevention treatments (not sure how bad it is in PA area, we don't have it in Utah, really).
    "Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must." ~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Images

I like the German shepards a lot! Unfortunately my gf gets freaked out by them since she has been bitten by one.

Pittbulls work well on the trail? I'll have to check out the mixes available at the local shelters. I'm sure a pitbull melded with a dog having a heavier coat would make a tank of a dog.

Quote Originally Posted by ljcsov View Post
    I like the German shepards a lot! Unfortunately my gf gets freaked out by them since she has been bitten by one.

Pittbulls work well on the trail? I'll have to check out the mixes available at the local shelters. I'm sure a pitbull melded with a dog having a heavier coat would make a tank of a dog.
    I think a mix would do better than one of the very thin coated breeds. The lack of a thicker coat actually might make them overheat more easily. Pitbulls are muscular and strong and can be energetic and may be able to pull you up a hill on leash. I love my beagle/shepherd/pittie mix, but she got bad genetics and has hip dysplasia so can't hike with me.

Images

I'm liking this guy's look! http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/22198275

If you don't mind the coat maintainance, a standard poodle might suit you. Smart, cheerful, energetic dogs that strangers tend to enjoy meeting. As a younger dog, mine enjoyed hiking greatly.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Images

I would never consider anything other than a thankful loyal rescue dog - mixed breeds have such a great temperament - is the dog for you? are you for the dog? or both? there is a lifelong friend at a shelter close to you now - go give her / him a chance - you'll be glad you did.

Quote Originally Posted by ljcsov View Post
    He looks cute. Might be a big guy with the Mastif in him. It's hard to tell what the personality of a puppy will be until they're closer to adulthood, though. Most puppies are energetic, but then they may turn into a couch potato if that's more their personality.

Have you read the AT book "The Things You Find on the Appalachian Trail?" Good read for hiking with dogs. He got his dog young and right before the thru-hike, so didn't know the dog's personality well. Dog grew to more than 60lbs and was terrified of rain, fire, bridges, couldn't cross stiles and had to be pushed, lifted and pulled over them. I love that book and it also convinced me I didn't want to thru-hike with a dog, which I had been considering. I had thought I might "borrow" a border collie to come along, but now I just want to not have that responsibility on a thru.

For your situation, I suggest take a little time, do some looking, and talk to the shelter staff about the dog and what it likes and is like. Good luck with adopting a new member into your family and thanks for considering rescue dogs and saving a life. Also spay or neuter early and they're less likely to get cancer, and run off and cause trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa D View Post
    I would never consider anything other than a thankful loyal rescue dog - mixed breeds have such a great temperament - is the dog for you? are you for the dog? or both? there is a lifelong friend at a shelter close to you now - go give her / him a chance - you'll be glad you did.
    +1 You are a man after my own heart.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by MissMagnolia View Post
    +1 You are a man after my own heart.
    aaww, thanks

I have only one suggestion a Labrador Retriever

I have a lab puppy that absolutely loves the trail and has been a good hiker since 3 months old. I also met a few mastiffs that I fell in love with on the trail because of their friendliness. I would be careful with protective breeds, they are sweethearts to you but might take a chunk out of another hiker (why I carry pepper spray). If you want to sleep in a shelter or be around others in camp all the time with people you just met, please get a friendly breed.

Images

All you have to do to find a great rescue is go to the local paper "free to a good home" if you can't tolerate the pit-bulls at the local rescue place - local vets almost always know about dogs for adoption - there are SO many GREAT dogs that NEED you - you'll find a wonderful friend - I can't even believe people go to dog breeders to BUY dogs - these seem like evil people to me - totally foreign - almost like a modern slave trade - really? people in this community? it's just hard to believe! If you want a dog, rescue one.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Papa D View Post
    All you have to do to find a great rescue is go to the local paper "free to a good home" if you can't tolerate the pit-bulls at the local rescue place - local vets almost always know about dogs for adoption - there are SO many GREAT dogs that NEED you - you'll find a wonderful friend - I can't even believe people go to dog breeders to BUY dogs - these seem like evil people to me - totally foreign - almost like a modern slave trade - really? people in this community? it's just hard to believe! If you want a dog, rescue one.
    I'll have to check the local shelters and rescues. My kitten came from a shelter and she's the best. I don't mind pitbulls personally, but they tend to scare people so I try to stay away from the pitbull looking dogs. Perhaps I can find myself a nice mix with a larger sized dog. I have some time before I have the space for a dog but I am big into doing research on these types of things!

1) I would never get a dog specifically to do the trail. Taking care of a dog is a big responsibility. It is hard enough to thruhike the first time, having the responsibility for an animal who may or may not love hiking adds a lot to the difficulty. Not just logistics like where you can stay and how you'll deal with non-dog friendly places, but having to put the dogs needs always before your own. OTOH, if you're just looking for a dog you can take on day hikes and short backpacking trips, that's a different matter.
    2) If you do rescue a dog, it will take time to train him to long distance hiking. Puppies shouldn't be worked too hard (damages their bones and joints) so you may have to wait a couple of years before attempting a hike of more than a few miles.
    3) Long haired dogs (i.e. the northern breeds you list) may have a very hard time with the heat. We have a golden retriever who abolutely wilts if the temperature is above 80 and his fur isn't that thick. The northern dogs also can be hard to train.
    4) Mastiffs are low energy dogs. Nice to live with, but probably not best for long distance hiking.
    5) Really big dogs require a lot of food and water. You get to carry it. Do you really want to carry 2 or 3 lbs of food per day for your dog as well as your own? You may also have to carry your dog up steep rocky sections and ladders if you're hiking up north. Again, a big dog gets heavy!
    6) I've known some labs that did well on the trail. Also know a lab that went home because she was miserable and refused to hike one day.
    7) I agree about avoiding super protective breeds. There are a lot of people and dogs on the AT. You don't want a dog tht will be aggressive in protecting you and your gear. On the PCT we met a chow who would snarl at anybody who came within 10 yards of their tent. Not fun when you need to get to the outhouse a few yards beyond the dog.

Images

You may find all you need in Australian Sheppard.
    Here is the link:

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/australianshepherd.htm

Or :
    http://australianshepherds.org/

I cant make it a link but the addresses are correct.

IMHO I am totaly with getting a rescue dog, but I have also owned labs and golden retreivers, and currently have 3 boston terriers, so it is all about what you like the best. Someone also told me that when looking for a new dog you don't find the dog. ... they find you. Good luck in your search.

It's good you've done some research, getting a new dog is so exciting (I hope to adopt one day!) I just wanted to add that if you'll be adopting a dog strictly for the trail, it's kind of a crap-shoot just picking one up from the shelter. Sure you can tell if they have crazy energy, but will they listen? Are there any underlying aggressive issues? Also dogs can really change once you take them home from the shelter. Individual dogs within a lot of breeds (especially labs and rottweilers) can be all across the board as far as energy level, loyalty, independence, etc. It's hard to know what a dog will be like unless you know the parents.

So I have a couple suggestions:
    -Adopting from a rescue organization might be a good way to go: the caretakers may know the dog really well, well enough to tell if they'll be a good trail dog.
    -Perhaps you have a friend that has a dog they need to give away? This just happened to me recently. I'm not looking to take a dog with me, but if I was, I know this wouldn't be the dog for me. (I love her but she's lazy... and guess what? she's mostly border collie!) My point is that it's better if you know the dog or at least know the people who are taking care of him/her.

Lastly, I wanted to suggest (as someone else has) that the dog isn't too young, maybe 1.5 years (fully grown). Good luck to you!!

Journal Entries

I would suggest a working breed. Had a rott for ten years and he was great on the trail but was very protective & ate alot, but he could carry his own food until later in his life. Why not a "pit" had one for 8 years and think she was kin to a mountain goat she could climb things I could only dream of. She was not protective at all and was easily trainable. Now I hike with a rott/hound/sher pei rescue, great trail dog but his hound ways lead his nose astray sometimes. I was considering a cattle dog before the rescue came along and they seem very well rounded for trail & home life.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++