WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Adams View Post
    Your dog doesn't have a say in the hike...if you think you can do unlimited miles and it won't affect your dog then you really don't understand dogs.
    No, I haven't seen you or your dog but as far as I've seen so far, unless you are on that list of 4 names and hiking with a dog, then in my mind you are abusing your dog until I do see how you hike and treat your dog. This is based on ALL of the past hikers that I have seen with dogs.
    BTW, Don't take me on about cats...I'll bury you!

geek

Sir ,cool down.

I don't need your approval or disapproval about how I treat my dog. We dog owner are not stupid or bonehead like you think we are. My dogs convenience has always been my first priority.I have no problem ending my hike if I find he is not enjoying the trip.The problem is that you are prejudiced about something that you have never seen but I am living with.

There's a nice video, documenting the Orient Express. It provides much information on the care and handling of Orient. If your interested in the facts get a copy of the video. Jim, I see you live in PA. Angus & I could possible could have passed you on a trail. If we have, both Angus & I find your inplication that I abuse him insulting. Quite a statement to include "ALL", based on a chance meeting. I'm sorry that ALL your experience has been really negative.

I have done 2 thru hikes and just basing my opinion, and no one is getting hot over the subject or needs to cool down, it is just my opinion but I feel this way due to most of the hikers that I met on the trail with a dog. I have owned several dogs throughout my life and love dogs. I just feel that most hikers who take their dog have no idea what that involves just to keep the dog healthy and happy. I am not saying that you are a terrible dog owner or that you abuse your dog hiking.....what I am saying is that if you haven't done a thru hike, you don't get to see actually what those dogs go through...most don't have proper care and concerns during a thru hike...that is why you have the response from the couple living in Damascus...they get to see what you don't. And yes, I did say all other than those 4 on the list...if you are taking your dog, I hope that I do get to add you to that list of 4...nothing would please me more!

geek
    Last edited by Jim Adams; 03-07-2012 at 12:47.

Quote Originally Posted by Kookork View Post
    Sir ,cool down.

I don't need your approval or disapproval about how I treat my dog. We dog owner are not stupid or bonehead like you think we are. My dogs convenience has always been my first priority.I have no problem ending my hike if I find he is not enjoying the trip.The problem is that you are prejudiced about something that you have never seen but I am living with.
    Not all dog owners are boneheaded when it comes to the safety of their dogs. But some certainly seem to be. It is not always convenient for humans to actually focus on the needs of the dog.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Adams View Post
    I have done 2 thru hikes and just basing my opinion, and no one is getting hot over the subject or needs to cool down, it is just my opinion but I feel this way due to most of the hikers that I met on the trail with a dog. I have owned several dogs throughout my life and love dogs. I just feel that most hikers who take their dog have no idea what that involves just to keep the dog healthy and happy. I am not saying that you are a terrible dog owner or that you abuse your dog hiking.....what I am saying is that if you haven't done a thru hike, you don't get to see actually what those dogs go through...most don't have proper care and concerns during a thru hike...that is why you have the response from the couple living in Damascus...they get to see what you don't. And yes, I did say all other than those 4 on the list...if you are taking your dog, I hope that I do get to add you to that list of 4...nothing would please me more!

geek
    Fair enough, I understand completely, because Angus & I are subjected to those owners as well. We work at being considerate of everyone sharing the trail, even this one. It's not what we say, it's how we say it.

Journal Entries
    Images

Jim how sturdy is that soap box you are standing on? Come on... The dogs don't even get to do the whole trip anyway...
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

I am just tired of seeing dogs on the trail abused. I feel like all dogs should get to run in the woods but I also believe that very few should be thru hiking. I am just concerned for the dog...not closed minded...I am giving a ride to a thru hiker from Pennsylvania to Springer in 4 days...he does have a dog and although I did attempt to talk him out of it, I am still giving him and his dog a ride to Georgia....I hope he takes care of the dogs concerns as well as he does his own.

geek

Quote Originally Posted by Kookork View Post
    I have not heard a fit person runs 80 km day (52 miles) a day, day in day out pulling a musher yet in iditarod dogs do it easily. Define FIT person again man.
    http://www.thestar.com/sports/winter...animal-cruelty
    you never know :-(

Quote Originally Posted by CrumbSnatcher View Post
    Interesting, 149 dogs died during this race since 1973 and the story was published in 2009. Saw a story on the news the other day about a dog which almost died this year. It made the news because of what the owner did to save it. Wonder if any dogs died which didn't make the news?

Of course, the Iditarod is an extrem race, pushing the dogs to thier limits - and beyond in some cases. But it does show how the race orginizers had to put in place measures to try and ensure proper care and treatment of the dogs during the race.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

If your dog is tired you should stop. If your dog is getting overheated or the trail is tough, carry its pack. If it's limping take a day off.

You should be able to tell when your dog is tired, sore, hot, cold, injured, etc... and its not just when he lays down and refuses to go keep moving.

Pay attention to your dog and you'll be fine.

There's tons of variation in people and how much hiking they can handle. There's just as much if not more with dogs.

Just make sure you know your dog.

Images

Yes, even a fit dog can get tired out before their human(s). I hike often with my dog (husky/ border collie/ german shepherd/ lab mix) and she's normally pulling me up hills and investigating every fallen tree and leaf that moves. She's done over 20 miles in a day with a pack and still had the energy to dig 3 separate nests for herself at dinner (apparently the first 2 weren't quite right). One day I could tell she was just not feeling it and we barely made 8 miles of similar terrain as I steadily emptied her pack into mine throughout the day. I still don't know exactly why this was, she had no injuries, I checked her paws, it wasn't ridiculously hot, we stopped for water/ snacks several times, she never got sick, and we eventually worked back up to normal mileage during the trip, so I'm assuming she was just having a really off day.
    Just be aware of your individual companion's needs (and recognize when they change) and be willing to re-work your hiking schedule around a dog if you choose to hike with one, since their well-being is ultimately your responsibility.

Many happy trails to you and Beanie!

When my Lab mix gets hot during our walks he stops and lays down on the cool grass or in a puddle or lake/pond on our route. I would say yes you can exhaust a dog but I would bet you will heat stroke the dog first during a hike. The dog sleds are pulled in cold and snow not the 90-100 heat of the summer.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++