WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

I buy some stuff called PB2. It's basically a big jar of dehydrated peanuts, so it's lightweight. You just add water (or some people add vegetable oil) to it, and it tastes just like regular peanut butter. Thirty tablespoons worth of it only weighs 6 ounces. They also make a peanut butter and chocolate version. you could leave it in the plastic jar, or put it, dry, in a ziploc. I get it at (gasp, the horror!) Wal-Mart, on the peanut butter aisle.

Quote Originally Posted by Oma-n-Opa View Post
    I buy some stuff called PB2. It's basically a big jar of dehydrated peanuts, so it's lightweight. You just add water (or some people add vegetable oil) to it, and it tastes just like regular peanut butter. Thirty tablespoons worth of it only weighs 6 ounces. They also make a peanut butter and chocolate version. you could leave it in the plastic jar, or put it, dry, in a ziploc. I get it at (gasp, the horror!) Wal-Mart, on the peanut butter aisle.
    I don't get the draw of this product - they take all the fat out of the peanut, which is more than half the reason I take nut butters in the first place.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

I leave the stuff in the durn jar they come in.

1. The jar makes a great trash bag.
    2. Cleaning squeeze tubes is a major PITA.

Images

What if the best pnut butter comes in glass jars though? I can't stand jif or peter pan--Smuckers with the oil on top is the best imo. But carrying that glass container is a joke.

That's a 1st world problem for sure.

I prefer coffee brewed in my pot at home made with beans roasted by a friend - but......

On my AT trip in 08 I simply kept re-using a small plastic jar. I would buy peanut butter and scoop it into my smaller container. Add honey and stir......

What did you do with the peanut butter that didn't fit into the small jar?

Ate it in the motel room or simply discarded it.

Quote Originally Posted by CalebJ View Post
    What did you do with the peanut butter that didn't fit into the small jar?
    Tossed it I bet.

I carry travel size toothpastes but they can be hard to find on long hikes because the stores you resupply at rarely have them. I buy the smallest size possible, take the top off, take the top off my empty travel toothpaste tube and hold them together tightly and squeeze - forcing toothpaste from the larger tube into my travel tube for a refill.

Whatever's left in the larger tube goes in the hiker box or I toss it in the trash.

I stopped carrying toothpaste when I realized that Dr. Bronner's soap worked (and tasted) just as well. Combination hand soap, body wash, and toothpaste, and an ounce or so will last quite a while.

I've been meaning to try out Dr. Bonners.

But.. did you know.... toothpaste really isn't necessary at all. Brushing with plain old water is just as good.

You can google it. As always there are about a zillion different opinions but the bottom line is going a few weeks (or months I guess) without it won't cause your teeth to rot out.

The big deal is flossing. Always floss, no matter what.

Yeah, I keep being reminded about the flossing bit. Somehow I never got into the habit. I probably do it about once a month. TMI, I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by CalebJ View Post
    I stopped carrying toothpaste when I realized that Dr. Bronner's soap worked (and tasted) just as well. Combination hand soap, body wash, and toothpaste, and an ounce or so will last quite a while.
    And laundry detergent, shampoo, and, with the Peppermint, also a deodorant and with a refreshing pick me up natural aroomah.

Floss and a needle also doubles as my emergency sewing repair kit.

What I do is, I take a medium jar of PB and a small jar of Nutella and then mix the two and I might add M&M's and whatever else seems good, then repackage in a large PB jar and then put in a Zip-Lock bag, this usually lasts me 4-5 days or two weekend hikes.

I have started brushing with toothpaste drops that I dehydrate myself. If nothing else, they help with foul smelling breath. This allows me to carry exactly how much I need with no guess work. Two drops per day. I use a bounce box for extended trips so re-supplying is not an issue.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Why would i repackage peanut butter? A 16oz jar only last me about 5 days on the trail.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Old_Man View Post
    What if the best pnut butter comes in glass jars though? I can't stand jif or peter pan--Smuckers with the oil on top is the best imo. But carrying that glass container is a joke.
    I have the same problem, I prefer real 100% peanut butter, but i lower my expectations when I hike. I've found a few okay brands in plastic containers at Walmart and grocery stores that still have non-hydrogenated vegetable oil and other nonsense in them but less garbage than jiff or peter pan. I'll buy these if i need to when resupplying.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

I recommend Peanut Butter & Co.

It tastes great, is shelf stable, and are all-natural. You can find them at a lot of different grocery stores now. I've only had Mighty Maple and Dark Chocolate Dreams but I'd imagine the other flavors are pretty good too.

https://ilovepeanutbutter.com/peanut-butter-1.html

Images

I like the idea of premixing some high quality pb and nutella together in a big plastic jar (and throwing in m&ms and extra nuts for good measure) and then mail dropping a couple of those bad boys strategically along the trail.

And then just sucking down that hydrogenated crap in between mail drops. I pretty much live on peanut butter off the trail so I'm planning on it being a HUGE part of my trail diet.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++