WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Images

Default Rockfish Gap land to be condemned?

A report on the local news here in Charlottesville, Va said that some Nelson County officials were looking into using eminent domain to take the property just south of SNP. Locals call this Afton Mountain, hikers call it Rockfish Gap. It's where most people catch rides into Waynesboro. The are used to have a lot of nice little businesses and has gotten to the point that it is an eyesore. I've always wondered why this location (gateway to Blue Ridge Parkway and SNP's Skyline drive - AT passes right through here) was more developed and successful. The county (or at least a supervisor or two) apparently wants to develop the area with businesses.
    Lemni Skate away

The trail will save my life

Images

I'm actually surprised no one commented on this. I have always thought that it was such a shame what became of Rockfish Gap.
    Lemni Skate away

I to have felt this way , I remember years go when I thru-hiked in 92 there was at least some commerce going back then . I have often thought it would be a good place for one of these local beer makers to open a pub and a hiker hostel . It certainly seems like it could work but also be some what seasonal with traffic loads and from weekend drivers looking at leaves and summer campers in SNP . Curious to see what happens with it !!!

What reason was given for taking the land?

Images

I don't know all the details, but I think mainly not complying with a county ordinace about upkeep of property. I understand that since the threat of this action the land owner has started demolishing buildings.
    Lemni Skate away

A proper quick, brave, steady, ready gentleman! ocourse's Avatar

It's certainly about tax revenue stream. The county, like every county and city, is looking for tax income.
    I've learned....
    That a smile is an inexpensive way to improve your looks.

The place looks like it was in a war with windows doors missing and i am sure the current land owner does not have the cash to improve the property. Likely that the land owner wants out and get something for it because the buildings are not worth renovating as they are too far gone and I could not imagine the liability to them if someone got hurt. It would be a boon the area...especially for hikers as the service would be right there and not in town.

I remember riding by there when I was younger. I believe the hotel used to be Howard Johnsons. Kinda sad to see how it has gone downhill.

1,630 miles and counting earlyriser26's Avatar
    Images

I went by "The inn at Afton" today. Stayed there 18 years ago and it was the best hotel on the AT. Bar, Rest., even entertainment. Today it is beyond scary. Still open with broken windows, trash, mice, etc. Why the health dept. does not shut the place down is anyone's guess.
    There are so many miles and so many mountains between here and there that it is hardly worth thinking about

1,630 miles and counting earlyriser26's Avatar
    Images

Does anyone know what the current status of this place is?
    There are so many miles and so many mountains between here and there that it is hardly worth thinking about

Not been there, but reading the reviews on TripAdvisor and Yelp are entertaining. So is their web page

www.theinnatafton.com

Northwestern, VA (outside of Harper's Ferry)
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    Not been there, but reading the reviews on TripAdvisor and Yelp are entertaining. So is their web page

www.theinnatafton.com
    I don't even know what alphabet that was...
    2,000 miler. Still keepin' on keepin' on.

Sometimes, the ownership of a business gets so convoluted that it cant be bought or sold and the only real solution is to let the government seize it and resell it. Another reason sometimes is that there could have been some sort of environmental contamination that no one wants title. Old dry cleaners and gas stations can sit for years if they have had leaks and properties with PCB also tend to be left alone. Occasionally a town can get EPA brownfield money to clean up the worst of it and allow it to be reused with restrictions on the title.

The hotel and gas station is in such disrepair and they have had a number of fires there. On an up side. The old Crozet tunnel will be made into a public walking path. I'm not sure when this will happen though. If you have never been there, check it out. It's pretty awesome but, if you plan on going all the way through, plan on getting wet and crawling through a couple 16"x30' pipes. Oh and make sure you have good light, it is really dark in there.

"You will go out in joy and be led forth in peace;the mountains and hills will burst into song before you, and all the trees of the field will clap their hands."
    Isaiah 55:12

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Damn Yankee View Post
    The hotel and gas station is in such disrepair and they have had a number of fires there.
    I was staying overnight in October 2002 and there was a electrical fire in one of the utility rooms. Thirteen fire trucks responded to the alarm!

That would be a great place for something comparable to the Long Trail Inn.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

It would have been a great place for a hostel or hiker hotel. I don't know why nobody has ever done it.

"You will go out in joy and be led forth in peace;the mountains and hills will burst into song before you, and all the trees of the field will clap their hands."
    Isaiah 55:12

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

I have stayed in some god awful places in my life, especially when I was drinking, but the Afton Inn is the biggest dump of them all.

It's a slumtel.

Quote Originally Posted by FarmerChef View Post
    I don't even know what alphabet that was...
    Looks like Thai to me.

Well, I'm glad to read the comments on the Afton Inn. I happened to find it when looking for places where I might start or end my hike to or from Harpers Ferry. I think that I'll opt to go into Waynesboro instead...
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

Use to stop in for Ice Cream after a hike at the Howard Johnson's. I can remember 8-10 of us shivering in low 30's and shoving Ice Cream down our throats! A couple of years ago 2-3 I seem to recall an article in the paper about the water supply being contaminated? They had closed the small AT welcome center at the top of the hill and were running new lines. I also remember the Welcome Center that was just off the trail and attached to the run down motel rooms which are still standing (barely.) They had a life sized statue of General Robert E. Lee. My daughter and I would get our picture taken with the "General" after every hike.

It would be great if they could do something nice there and it seems that people would stop as it's the gateway to SNP and the Blue Ridge Pkwy. Plus just off I64. There is a fellow who sells fresh pigskins and popcorn. He does a pretty good business in the fall.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++