WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default ultralight hammock camping?

Is it possible to use a hammock and tarp and keep the weight down
    as low as with a traditional tarp and grouncloth (and be comfortable) ?

I really like the idea of hammock camping - but I try to count ounces.

Any help is appreciated !

possible? yes. expensive? very. You will never be as lite as a tarp and ground sheet. But oh the comfort. With cuben fiber and down it can get pretty lite weight and also pretty expensive. Things you need.
    Hammock(GT Nano7 is 7 ounces)
    Webbing straps and whoopie slings
    Underquilt
    Topquilt
    Bugnet
    Tarp

Stir Fry

This is my Hammock set up for 20*
    1. Warbonnet Black bird. 24oz
    2. Home made Cubin fiber tarp, with 6 Titanium
    stakes 10.5X8.5 10oz
    3. Home made UQ, 70”X48” ( 800 fill down)
    ½ Cubin ½ Momentum 55, 3” loft, good to 15*-20* 17oz

Total 3lb 04oz 51oz
    If you went with the 7oz hammock you would save 17 oz that would put you at 2 lb 3 oz. Still not as light as just a tarp and groung sheet but like it was said. you can't beat the comfort.
    If it do'nt eat you or kill you it makes you stronger
    'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton

NOBO toBennington, VT plus 187 mi in MH & ME
    Images

Many comparisons (Just jeff, sgt rock et al. have shown that total weight is about equal for either alternative of ground or hang.
    at any level of rigor, there is a corresponding setup for the other method that about equals out.

The hammock supporters say it's more comfortable.

I go back and forth myself. I also stay in shelter quite a bit. The downsides of shelters don't bother me and it's just so easy.
    Grinder
    AT hiker : It's the journey, not the destination

aka Kudzu
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Grinder View Post
    The hammock supporters say it's more comfortable.
    Amen! I sleep a lot better in my hammock then I ever did on the ground.

I'm not willing to spend the money to go ultralight so my hammock gear is comparable in weight to most solo tents when you take into account pads and everything else to make it comfortable.

In addition to comfort the flexibility of a hammock make it a winner in my book hands down.
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Problems on the trail? Have a great experience? Please let me know. trails at northfloridatrailblazers dot org
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

AT 2012

i'm a committed hammocker and would encourage you to go in that direction... just be careful of that nano hammock if you are taller than, say, 5'-10".

hammocks take time to set up, and sure, the really experienced with great gear can do it very quickly. staying in a shelter takes absolutely no time at all and is more social. personal preference. throw that into your thinking along with the comfort issue as you are making a decision. if you are going to want to stay in the shelter with everyone else, the hammock becomes a liability.
    Lazarus

Images

My normal set up is WBBlackbird 1.1 single that I have cut the weight down by "customizing" to under 18 ounces. I use a Cuben tarp with doors; fully rigged weight is 10 1/2 ounces. That compares with most tarp tents.
    I can use a different hammock (Butt in a sling brand ) and cut the hammock weight to under 11 ounces including suspension and a piece of Tule for a bug net. So, you can go pretty light and still hammock.
    The under quilt & short piece of pad and top quilt are pretty much the same weight at a pad and sleeping bag.
    Give Me Mountains & I Am Happy!

Sorry to hijack, but anyone know what a good weight for some tree huggers is? I just made my first set out of a motorcycle tie down straps. They weigh in at 2.29 oz total. They are 1" wide red straps. They are 60" total each, with an additional loop sewn in at 48" so I can adjust easily. I am not ultralight by any means. I am not sure what the weight rating is on these, therefore I will try them out on a "low hang" so I don't bust myself if they break. My wife will be getting the straps that I KNOW are strong enough to hold her. I would guess that my sewing would break before the strap itself...

Images

Images

Answer is sort of. The only real trade off between being an UL tarper and an UL hammocker is groundcloth vs hammock. You will be slightly up in ounces over whatever your ground set up will be, but if you don't mind doing a little DIY you can build a hammock that is less than 8 ounces. That means an UL hammocker will be about 7 ounces heavier than an UL tarp only guy.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Images

yep. my base weight is under 10 lbs...
    " It's what people know about themselves inside that makes 'em afraid." ~Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter

++ New Posts ++