WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Hammock hanging: pack and other gear storage

I am relatively new to hammock camping and am looking for feedback on the warbonnet blackbird 1.1 hammock as well as some ideas on night time gear storage to protect it from weather, etc.. I appreciate the feedback from experienced hammock hangers as I am still trying to tweek my set up for max. comfort and protection from the elements. I am a big guy as well at 6'4' AND 220 lbs. Thanks!

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

I've used a Warbonnet Blackbird for almost 3 years now and love it! It's my go-to hammock for most hikes. If you're 220#, you should definitely consider the 1.1DL, as the weight limit is 200# for the SL.

As far as gear storage, there are lots of folks who use a biner to clip their pack to the head end of the hammock suspension to keep it off the ground, but under the tarp for protection. Others like to put their packs on a piece of Tyvek or in a pack cover and lay it on the ground. It's really all a simple matter of personal preference. For me, I like to put my pack in its pack cover and lay it on the ground to the left of my hammock, pack cover down.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Images

Thanks Hooch! That is the exact hammock model I am considering. I am a side sleeper as well and I like the idea of the large footbox for an asymetrical lay.
    I also like the idea of the double layer so I can put my pad in between the layers to prevent slippage at night.

I leave mine on the ground with the pack cover on. Absolutely no food in it - less likely to get rodent damage. I might leave my stove setup on the head end of the entry side so that I can lie in the hammock while my coffee water is heating - kindof depends on the terrain. The thing with a hammock is that I can and have hung on the side of a hill where the ground underneath me wasn't a good place for a picnic.

Images

Don't use WB hammocks, but they are made well (sold mine). i hang my pack from suspension at the foot end and clip hip belt over ridge line. in the winter it is my insulation under feet for 3/4 Under Quilt. i carry a Go-Lite Pinnacle. i stopped putting it on the ground after the "Hiker Welcome Hostel Skunk" incident.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Images

Black Bird double is the way to go. I have a BB 1.7 double ( I am 6ft2 and 280# ). The waffle patterned blue foam pad from wallyworld cost about $13, weighs 15oz and is 24+ inches wide which is plenty wide in the BB so you will not need wings (extra pieces for your shoulders). I usually hang my pack from a tree if the weather is nice or place under hammock
    Hammock Hanger by choice

Warbonnet BlackBird 1.7 dbl

www.neusioktrail.org

Bears love people, they say we taste just like chicken.

Another good hammock to go with for a side layer is the Snipe from Wilderness Logics, you can lay super flat with that hammock. I use that hammock and a WBBB for bug season. If weather is good I usually strap my pack around a tree in the same manner you do straps for your hammock. The ULA packs have a strap going over the top to help compress contents when hiking and I will wrap it around a tree and underneath itself a few times to keep it from falling. I put it at the right height for easy access in and out. If it's raining it stays right beneath the hammock turned upside down so straps are up and pack cover is laying on a 3x4 sheet of plastic.

Images

1.1 double is all good; I love mine. I use a really light weight windshield reflector under my hammock to step out on, for the dog to sleep on, set my camp shoes on and to lay my pack on (Pack in a garbage bag if it is raining, just in case).
    Give Me Mountains & I Am Happy!

I got into the habit of covering my pack with my pack cover and 'strapping' it to the tree at the head end of my hammack by my hip belt and an extra strap I carry for those 'whatever' times when an extra strap will come in handy. If it is pouring I clip the covered pack to a carabiner under my tarp/hammock.

Images

Really, I have had mine for about a year and a half now and love every minute hanging in it. I sleep great! Not like when I used to sleep on the ground with a pad. I have a BB 1.7 double and I too hang my ULA Circuit pack from a tree with a bit of paracord and a small carabiner. That way I can access the contents without bending and digging.
    "If you push something hard enough it will fall over."
    -Fudd's first law of opposition.

My BLOG Site

Images

i change up what i do w/ my pack. sometimes laying underneath me, sometimes on a branch, sometimes just sitting under a tree where my hammock is attached.

i think at that weight and height you'll want a bigger hammock. think warbonnet blackbird double layer, wilderness logics light or night owl...
    " It's what people know about themselves inside that makes 'em afraid." ~Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter

Images

I have a WBBB 1.1 dbl. Love it, I hang my empty pack from my tarp ridge line (under the tarp) at night either at the head or foot. My pack is empty by then. Food bag with kitchen is hung, extra clothes are in a stuff sack for pillow, ditty bag in the shelf, head lamp right above my head hung from the ridge, wet socks, clothes are hung on the ridge as well. Camp shoes and boots are on the ground under the hammock for those middle of the night nature calls, all I do is swing my legs over step in, stand up. When packing up, everything goes back in the pack and the last thing to come down is my damp/wet tarp which goes in the outside of front pocket of my circuit. Works for me, keeps my pack cleaner and less likely to be bothered by rodents, skunks or Mr. porky.

I usually take all food, cooking gear, and scented items out of my pack, hang them (bear bag, if you will, though mice and squirrels have been more of a problem than bears to me) separately, and hang my pack, upside down, with the rain cover over it from a tree by the hip belt. Haven't had any animals, spiders, snakes, etc. get into it yet.

If I'm with other hikers and they want to stay at a shelter, I'll leave my pack in the shelter with them.

When leaving a pack in a shelter always leave the pockets open or mice will chew through the nylon to investigate interesting scents inside.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

++ New Posts ++